DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Zoom H2 and HV10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/115990-zoom-h2-hv10.html)

Richard Che February 28th, 2008 07:55 PM

Zoom H2 and HV10

I'm interested in purchasing the Zoom H2 for my HV10. I was planning to use it's built in mics for indoor filming while using the VideoMic for outdoor shooting. Would the H2 be suitable for recording indoors? Also I've read that when synchronizing the video with the audio from the H2, it is a tad out of synch? If not the H2 is there a better solution. The H2 was appealing to me because I needed an indoor microphone and a recording device for the VideoMic due to the HV10's lack of mic input. Thank You.

Curt Talbot February 28th, 2008 09:38 PM

Richard, whether the H2 will work for your indoor work will largely depend on what you are recording eg. instrumental music, choirs, multiple voices etc. It may work well for some applications. The key, of course, is to get it close to the source.

With respect to using with the Videomic, not everyone is happy with the H2 when using an external mic. Check out this website for everything you wanted to know about the H2:

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=15

Andy Wilkinson February 29th, 2008 03:47 AM

Zoom H2 and Rode Videomic

I have Zoom H2 and Rode Videomic (and the SVM.) Zoom is good for an entry into sound recording "off camera" but it's really a bit too noisey when used with Videomics plugged into it's external mic socket. It's in-built mics are much cleaner but a little metallic in noise profile so just view it as a self contained unit only, forget the external mic option it claims to have. Having said that I do REALLY like it and use it a lot as a stand alone (read "up close and personal" to source) recording solution with a videomic on my camera as a back-up. An OKish mic in the right position will give you better sound than a good one in the wrong position...the wrong position usually being on the camera!

Syncing audio in post is VERY easy (lots of previous posts on that...) plus unless you spend a lot of money on recorders with time code function this is something you'll just have to live with.

If you want a cheap and cheerful/carry anywhere recording device then the Zoom H2 is a good entry level solution ...but don't expect pro level sound from it. Although it has higher level features I find that 16 Bit 48Khz is the limit of it's useful capabilities, higher bit rates and frequency just giving me larger file sizes for no noticeable benefit whatsoever. The H2's electronics are not really up to those claimed features - the're there for marketing reasons I think. That being said, it's a good, small, cheap stereo audio recorder for indoor use (I typically record choirs, organ and classical stuff in a Cathedral and my elder daughter's piano/keyboard efforts at home and in school/church halls etc.). It's USB mic feature for PC use is useful too. You'll need a USB card reader for faster file transfer (it's not a true USB 2 on the unit, a fudged slower version) and a decent 4GB card so factor in the costs of those when comparing to other options. It's also actually pretty OK for capturing ambient "wild" stereo or 4 channel surround sound outside...foam windshield is provided but I find my SVM's deadcat fits perfectly and is more effective if a breeze is blowing. In all cases the H2 needs to be stand alone, not hand held, for best effect (comes with a screw in handle/mic stand holder and a flat base and has a std. tripod screw thread on the bottom anyway.) Finally, regarding the Zoom H2 I think this specific, excellently and objective thread (especially the 1st post) in the Zoom Forum is well worth reading.

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9745

Richard, you asked for alternatives also. If you've more cash I would SERIOUSLY look at the Sony PCM-D50 and other makes at a higher price point - plenty of posts about the options in this forum as any 2 second search for digital audio recorders will show. The Sony looks a real winner...but then it's a lot more money so it should be better. One day I'll probably step up to this. More info in link below.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115498

Richard Che February 29th, 2008 05:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I recently purchased the VideoMic and realized that it does well outdoors but not necessarily as well indoors. I've read that a hyper would work best indoors. Since I had to use a external device to record the sound I used my Cowon D2 and MZ-R700 MD player, both resulted in a low humming or fuzzy sound in the background ( though I could just use the noise remover in Audacity , though I'm not too sure how much it affects the original quality ). I thought purchasing the Zoom H2 would help fix this "fuzzy" sound problem with the VideoMic and could be used as alternative to the hyper, hence killing two birds with one stone, but according to what Andy has said it seems like it there is still a noise problem with the H2. I made a homemade boom pole and did plan to mount the H2 on it. I mostly make short films and so the H2 would be used for recording dialogue, usually 1 or 2 people, so it would fall under multiple voices probably ( I heard the sound the VideoMic produces has some what of an echo when used indoors ). Since most takes shouldn't take more than 2 minutes I don't think I have to worry about the audio drifting? After reading your replies I will most likely use the MD or D2 to record with the VideoMic ( according to one of the links in the replies, the MD player has less noise than the H2 ). But if the H2 is not suitable for the situations I've explained above then what would? I believe NT3 is good for indoors though it's over my budget since I've already spent quite a bit on DSLR equipment. My budget is most likely under 150. I don't expect pro quality since I'm just starting out and will step up when i need to ( using booms is already a step-up from the camcorder's internal mic ). If there's nothing then I suppose I'll just have to stay with my VideoMic until I can afford a NT3 or similar. Again thank you for your replies and I hope to receive some more helpful advice.