DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rycote undercovers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/116062-rycote-undercovers.html)

Marco Leavitt February 29th, 2008 05:40 PM

Rycote undercovers

Anybody use these? The promotional materials seem to stop short of saying they're to be used under the shirt, but that seems to be the obvious application. They seem quite expensive. Are they worth the money?

Wayne Brissette February 29th, 2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt (Post 835500)
Anybody use these? The promotional materials seem to stop short of saying they're to be used under the shirt, but that seems to be the obvious application. They seem quite expensive. Are they worth the money?

It depends on what you're doing. I have used them, but the production paid for them. You use them to protect the mic, as you said under the shirt. If you are working outside, switch and use the overcovers. They are expensive and when I'm paying for things (as I do in a lot of indie work), I don't use the undercovers, I use moleskin instead.

Wayne

Jimmy Tuffrey March 1st, 2008 05:17 AM

I bought them and found the stickies, ie the double sided stickie pads, where the most useful bit. The undercovers have been of no use to me as I found with girls that the stickie was great but that I was trying to get the mic protected by the boobs from all contact with clothing that having a cover was not needed. Also the undercover material is not smooth enough. With blokes I've got a tram cage with built in drac clip which again stops anything rubbing the mic. Used a stickie on that to adapt it to fit an ECM77 as well.

The overcovers I've used when forced under jacket lapels in the open air. That was good. Useful things to have but not a be all and end all. Go for over covers first and a spair pack of 'Stickies'.

Tyler Cook March 3rd, 2008 06:44 PM

I've actually found the undercovers to add more noise. Whether or not you have the mic capsule sticking out a little or not, the undercover fabric still seems to be noisy... maybe I'm just not using them properly though?

Hey Jimmy (and anybody else), with the dracula tram cage, do you face the mic capsule facing the cage or facing the body?

Jeffery Magat March 3rd, 2008 08:41 PM

Overcovers are sketchy at best in high wind environments. I find they don't tend to stick well, and require some extra prodding to get them to stay. Calm gentle breezes are fine with the overcovers though. High wind requires great lav positioning, and nice strong arms to keep your boom up in the air. ;)

Tyler, mic capsule facing in and out really depends on where you're clipping the mic to. A good thing about the trams is that they have pretty good omni directional properties, so in or out work pretty well. You just have to be vigilant on keeping the clothing noise gremlins out.