DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Dead Cat Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/117917-dead-cat-question.html)

D.J. Ammons March 27th, 2008 10:41 AM

Dead Cat Question

I have what may be the stupidest question ever posted but I honestly don't know the answer.

If you use a dead cat on a mic do you remove the foam windscreen on the mic and use the dead cat instead or do you leave the foam on and put the dead cat on top of that?

(I just bought a Rode NTG-2 and Dead Cat)

Marco Leavitt March 27th, 2008 10:48 AM

Assuming you're talking about the Rycote softie (or similar) take the foam off. In fact, there's no way it's going to fit on there otherwise. However, I believe there are some furry covers that are designed to go over the foam, although I don't know who makes them. Do you have a link to the product you're talking about?

Petri Kaipiainen March 27th, 2008 12:51 PM

Rode deadcat goes over the foam.

Paul Cascio March 27th, 2008 02:14 PM

Good question. So who will cast the deciding vote?

Mike Beckett March 27th, 2008 04:01 PM

Assuming this is Deadcat as in the Rode product, rather than a generic name for a basic windshield:

I had an NTG-2 with Deadcat , and I believe the instructions said to put the deadcat on over the mic's foam mount. That's certainly how I did it, it would be too saggy and flappy without the foam.

I now use a Rycote Softie, which is better, but the same money would buy you a whole litter of Deadcats!

Matthias Krause March 27th, 2008 04:07 PM

It would also help to read the manual... If you mean the dead cat that comes specifically for the Rode mic, you need to leave the foam on. Not need to cast vote.

D.J. Ammons March 27th, 2008 06:38 PM

I was referring to the actual Rode brand Dead Cat. It did not come with a manual or instructions (bought from B&H when I bought the Rode NTG-2).

I looked in the Rode NTG-2's instruction booklet and didn't see anything there either.

Since someone who actually owns this microphone and dead cat responded and they say to put the deadcat over the foam that is what I will do!

Thanks everybody for your input.

Matthias Krause March 27th, 2008 08:30 PM

From the B&H website: "In combination with the miniscreen, the Rode Deads Cat Wind Muff's furry, zip-on cover design drastically decreases wind noise during inclement weather."

I have one too, btw. But it sucks. Well, let`s say it doesn`t do as well as I hoped...

Simon Denny March 27th, 2008 08:34 PM

Put the dead cat over the foam on the Rode Mic. This is the way that it is used.

Allan Black March 27th, 2008 09:38 PM

The RODE deadcat works *better* than the RYCOTE in that the longer hairs slow down the swirling wind gusts and there's less lower frequency rumble.

This to the point where one time I actually thought I could remove the residual wind with SOAP, didn't try it tho.

Cheers.

Ty Ford March 27th, 2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons (Post 849403)
I have what may be the stupidest question ever posted but I honestly don't know the answer.

If you use a dead cat on a mic do you remove the foam windscreen on the mic and use the dead cat instead or do you leave the foam on and put the dead cat on top of that?

(I just bought a Rode NTG-2 and Dead Cat)

I use a Rode dead cat over my Schoeps pop filter when I take it outside.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Renton Maclachlan March 28th, 2008 03:48 PM

My experience is a deadcat doesn't help for anything over very light breezes. I was disappointed.

I'm going for a blimp as a result.

Petri Kaipiainen March 29th, 2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 850293)
My experience is a deadcat doesn't help for anything over very light breezes. I was disappointed.

I'm going for a blimp as a result.

I found out the same and went blimbpin' 5 years ago. Foam & fur is ok against normal handling movement and slight breeze, real wind no.

As a result my first working wind protection system cost almost twice as much as the mic (the late Senn 66).

There are fairly good/usable cheap mics out there, but no cheap blimps/windjammers.

Renton Maclachlan March 29th, 2008 01:13 AM

Depends what you mean by cheap. See the link I posted on the thread 'zepplin fit?'. Out of the Punjab at a fraction of the cost of others...

Petri Kaipiainen March 29th, 2008 05:27 AM

Ok, there are now some indian Rycote zeppelin copies available, even though the build quality is not great. The wind does not care, though.

And I do agree the rycote windjammer is the ripoff of the century pricewise. For the price of one simple windjammer you can buy 20 fleece JACKETS in Nepal.