DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Some Guidedance to fix hot signal Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/118195-some-guidedance-fix-hot-signal-audio.html)

Jose Ortiz March 31st, 2008 06:27 AM

Some Guidedance to fix hot signal Audio

Using one Sennheiser g2 100 I end up having some Hot audio. I'm still thinking that is not that bad but I would like to fix it. I use soundbouth Cs3 as part of my editing but will like to know what tool or setting in this program could help me to improve the sound in that hot signal.

Thanks

Rick L. Allen March 31st, 2008 07:25 AM

Unfortunately, once you record hot (overmodulated) audio it can't be fixed.

You can experiment with your EQ to lower the level of the offending frequencies which might help a bit. Be more careful next time.

Vito DeFilippo March 31st, 2008 07:55 AM

I would tend to agree with Rick, but Adobe Audition has a filter that's supposed to repair clipped audio. You could try it out and see if it helps. Download the trial here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/tryaudition

Jose Ortiz March 31st, 2008 09:38 AM

Thanks guys.

Vito I'm not too familiar with the audio restoration in audition . Could you explain how or what filter in Audition 3 you think that could work? Could provide me some guide to get to it?

I will really apreciate that please.

Thanks

Vito DeFilippo March 31st, 2008 10:12 AM

Hi Jose,

Unfortunately, I don't have Audition installed at the moment, so I can't give you detailed help.

I remember the filter was in the "restoration" category of the effects, or something like that.. Search for clip restoration in the help menu and follow the steps. I believe it involves selecting a portion of your clipped audio and sampling it so that Audition has an idea of what to fix. Then using the sample info to restore the clipped audio.

You may have to lower the volume by a few db to give the program some headroom to use. Clipped audio would usually be clipped at the max.

Not sure if it will help your audio, but it's worth a shot...

Jose Ortiz March 31st, 2008 10:48 AM

Thank you
I will try tonight at home. I will let you know the results.

Ty Ford March 31st, 2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz (Post 851483)
Using one Sennheiser g2 100 I end up having some Hot audio. I'm still thinking that is not that bad but I would like to fix it. I use soundbouth Cs3 as part of my editing but will like to know what tool or setting in this program could help me to improve the sound in that hot signal.
Thanks

As mentioned Adobe Audition supposedly has a plugin. The best thing you can do in the future is to observe proper gain staging between transmitter and receiver, receiver and mixer, and mixer and camera.

Any failure in making those settings good will result in clipped audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jose Ortiz April 4th, 2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 851987)
As mentioned Adobe Audition supposedly has a plugin. The best thing you can do in the future is to observe proper gain staging between transmitter and receiver, receiver and mixer, and mixer and camera.

Any failure in making those settings good will result in clipped audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Thanks

Yes, sadly I know well how to handle these audio devices. But I had a new guy working with us who is not very familiar with them!

Adobe Audition has that plugin but is not making too much improvements.
Or at least not with my situation
thanks
Guys.

Ty Ford April 4th, 2008 12:53 PM

Jose,

Thanks for the field report. I am truly sorry for your pain.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Vito DeFilippo April 4th, 2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 854351)
I am truly sorry for your pain.

Yeah. Sorry it didn't work out. Clipped audio is a nightmare...