DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Where do get a good deal on a cheaper Wireless mic and how do they work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/118970-where-do-get-good-deal-cheaper-wireless-mic-how-do-they-work.html)

Steve House April 17th, 2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley (Post 862314)
As I said, I don't really know all the details here and only have a sketchy idea as to all of this. It may be that there have been some recent developments I'm unaware of. Maybe Steve House or Ty Ford or somebody else can chime in and fill us all in on the state of things.

I wish I could! I'm just as much in the dark as everyone else.

Jarrod Whaley April 17th, 2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 862471)
I wish I could! I'm just as much in the dark as everyone else.

I was afraid of that. I hadn't heard of any recent developments and was hoping maybe I'd missed something. Unfortunately, it looks like we won't know if we're screwed or not until after said screwing has already taken place.

Robert Acosta April 17th, 2008 10:10 PM

When using the wireless mic with my PD170, I connect the receiver to the camera with the xlr cable and mount it to the hot shoe and connect to the xlr input 2
when transmitting, what should the on camera xlr settings be and am I using the shotgun mic on input 1 and the wireless receiver on input 2 simultaneously? Is a mixer necessary to utilize both mics at the same time or will they record to the camera simutaneously on seperate tracks. Any pre recording settings necessary in the menus prior to beggining?

Tom Hardwick April 18th, 2008 12:07 AM

Robert - your PD170 has two completely separate audio channels so you can feed whatever you like to either, have them on manual or AGC independently and have one phantom and the other not.

So yes, feed the radio into one (phantom off) and the shotgun into the other (I recommend phantom on even if the mic's able to be internal battery powered). No need for mixers at all.

tom.

Robert Acosta April 18th, 2008 10:43 PM

I received the G2 wireless today and only had a short time to test this system but it was pretty impressive. I shot from inside an all metal bldg. that tends to render my cell phone signal useless and I went about 200 feet from the camera and was getting great sound from the system. Can't wait to do more testing with it. Just hope the unit doesn't become unsusable in the near future.

Alan Dunkel April 19th, 2008 12:22 AM

The Sennheiser Freeport works well for aprox $150 ...

...I've had one for about 6 months. Did notice they might be discontinuing them and the receiver has a wall wart to 12V and doesn't come with a direct battery method, you must hack one. They also are UHF with diversity antenna and are limited to 4 channels. The lav model has a passable omni included. The G2 would be better for video as the Freeport is targeted as a presentation or instrument wireless. I haven't used the instrument or handheld models, only the lav.
Regards, Alan