DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Anton Bauer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/120935-anton-bauer.html)

Marco Leavitt May 4th, 2008 11:25 PM

Anton Bauer

I'm thinking about getting an Anton Bauer battery pack for our XL2. Does anybody know if I can power the AT1800 wireless receiver from it, as well as the camera and a Frezzi light? Anton Bauer's Web site isn't exactly easy to get information from.

Hart Boyd May 5th, 2008 05:20 AM

The gold mount for the XL-2 from Anton Bauer has a power tap on it that allow you power a Frezzi light (get one with a power tap connector) from it along with the camera.

I am not sure of the power requirement of the AT1800 receiver so I can't anwer that questions but the gold mount only has one power tap on it.

Don Bloom May 5th, 2008 05:28 AM

I do not believe the 1800 will take power from the AB-the power plug on the bottom of the receiver is for AC only (I think) and I have not seen a cable for it. That's not to say one can't be fashioned of course but watch the voltage step up or down-don't want to blow up a perfectly good receiver ;-).

Of course I could be completely off base here.

Don

Marshall Staton May 5th, 2008 01:31 PM

It would probably be fine, the ac power should be stepped down to dc around 12 v. Not sure if its that way for the AT but thats how the lectros are...

Marco Leavitt May 7th, 2008 01:24 AM

"ac power should be stepped down to dc around 12 v"

How exactly would I do that? Manual says external power is looking for 12V DC nominal, 500 mA. You can buy a cable that appears to terminate in a Hirose connector.

Phil Bambridge May 7th, 2008 05:22 AM

I think perhaps there's some confusion here. The AT1800 receiver can be powered from AC (mains electricity) rather than internal batteries. But in order to do this, you'd need to use a power adaptor. 240 or 110 volts is a bit much for the electronics in there to handle!

Companies often say "or from mains electricity" as this distinguishes it from batteries, indicating you can have all-day power, and ultimately, that's where the power is coming from, out of the wall...but to avoid making them bulky and heavy, the power adaptor is rarely built into things of this sort of size. And AT don't put one in the box, I think mainly as they expect you to go wires-free.

Anyway, a quick look at the manual, available on their website, clearly shows it takes 12v DC. AB make a lot of battery packs, and are geared towards 14.4v used by higher-end cameras, but the 7/14 gold mount steps down so it provides the 7.2v your camera wants, while still allowing other equipment to receive the full whack. According to AB this is fine for 12v applications too. They're probably right. Sadly, there's no manual available for the particular gold mount you'd need, so I'm not sure if this is an assumption on there part, or whether the output is switchable to a true 12v.

Marco Leavitt May 7th, 2008 10:33 AM

What about the Hirose connector? Would I need an adapter to use with the Anton Bauer battery?

Don Bloom May 7th, 2008 10:47 AM

The ABs will only use the AB power tap if going directly to the battery mounting plate. When I was using a full size camera I used a cable that had a Hirose connection on it to go from the camera (Hirose) to the receiver with a 4 pin XLR for power.
Don