DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Just got my Sony P_CM D50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/125551-just-got-my-sony-p_cm-d50.html)

Vincent Oliver July 8th, 2008 11:42 AM

Just got my Sony P_CM D50

I have just got my Sony PCM D50 and it is everything that I expected and better. I am a happy bunny etc.

Just one question, how do you remove the USB connection (I know just pull the lead out) . The display always shows "CONNECTING" Do Not Power Off. The manual states that you should not disconnect the power source or you may lose your data. So how do you disconnect this recorder, do I just pull the USB cable out or what?

Thanks

Brian L. Allen July 8th, 2008 12:26 PM

Removing USB connections

Depending on if you have a Windows or Mac. Don't know about the MAC but on windows there is an icon on the system tray (lower right corner of screen). Its call the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, if you click on it, it will give you a list of all the hardware that can be removed, usually only usb type connections. Look at the list and see which device is yours. After you find it click on it and then it will tell you when it is safe to remove the device. If you get the message that it can't be safely removed because it is still in use, you might have to power down the computer in order to remove it or find out what program is using it and stop it. Then you can retry to safely remove it.

Vincent Oliver July 8th, 2008 12:40 PM

Thank you Brian - the Sony always displays Connecting, yet it is connected and I can access all the folders on the recorder. I have just resorted to pulling out the USB cable. I have also looked at the system tray, but I have so many USB devices connected I don't know which is which

Brian L. Allen July 8th, 2008 12:51 PM

Before and After shot

You might try looking at the list of items that can be safely removed when the D50 is not plugged in, the compare it to the list when it is. You might also find that the D50 is listed as a removeable drive with a drive letter that goes with it. If so you can use this drive letter to find it in the list of items that can be safely removed. One word of caution, if you do pull the cable on this while it is writing info to it, you could trash the entire contents of the drive and would have to reformat it. Its better to be "safe" then sorry.

Vincent Oliver July 8th, 2008 01:44 PM

Thank you Brian, I have now found the correct device to remove and it works.

Just for you and other readers of this thread. I was sent a Gorillapod tripod, this is useless for my digital camera but works a treat with the Sony. You can bend the legs into almost any shape and mount the recorder onto the back of a chair or anything else that is within reach. It also has a quick mount plate which can be left on the PCM 50 all the time. In short it will do better job than the Sony tripod for a fraction of the cost. Here is a link to the Joby site.

http://www.joby.com/

Brian L. Allen July 8th, 2008 02:34 PM

Cool, my first help :)

Jim Andrada July 9th, 2008 10:53 AM

FYI, I had someone make me a little metal plug the same diameter as my mic with a short 1/4-20 threaded stub on one end. I screw the 1/4-20 part (standard tripod thread) into the D50 and I can then mount it to my mic stand using my regular shock mounts. That and the little remote they sell for it eliminates a lot of noise and vibration.

Vincent Oliver July 9th, 2008 10:58 AM

The Gorilla pod can be used anywhere. A small tripod will do the job too, although not as adaptable as the Gorilla. The Gorrila has a quick release plate which is made from heavy duty nylon and also has a soft ruber base, this saves your Sony from becoming scratched - YES, I am a fussy guy who likes to keep his gear in pristine condition.

Jimmy Tuffrey July 9th, 2008 04:45 PM

I got a gorilla pod a few months back and it does not really take the weight. I would not recommend it and have got a better sturdier one for 2 quid on ebay.

Vincent Oliver July 10th, 2008 03:40 PM

Not sure what extras you have on your Sony, but my GorillaPod takes the weight without any problem. There are several models of the Gorilla, maybe you are using the very smallest?

Tsu Terao July 11th, 2008 07:45 PM

I'm also using a Gorillapod w/ the PCM-D50. I have the "slr" model (middle of the 3) which is also suitable to use w/ a Rollei TLR. (Keep in mind that the Rollei doesn't have mirror slap.) It's also a great match for the Canon HV30.