DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode VideoMic Pad switch (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/127745-rode-videomic-pad-switch.html)

David Morgan August 9th, 2008 07:04 PM

Rode VideoMic Pad switch

can't find the tits on this little switch. I'm reading the instructions but the switch is so tiny and nothing seems to be able to slide. Anyone know what's up here?

thx
dm

Brian Boyko August 9th, 2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Morgan (Post 918674)
can't find the tits on this little switch. I'm reading the instructions but the switch is so tiny and nothing seems to be able to slide. Anyone know what's up here?

thx
dm

Use a pin and a bit of force.

David Morgan August 9th, 2008 07:39 PM

Ok, maybe I'll have to do that. The unit's brand new. Didn't want to screw it up so quick.

Allan Black August 11th, 2008 03:29 AM

David, those switches are tiny, it probably is working.

In the battery compartment make sure those switches are set to -10db. Then plug the mic into something and listen on cans. Determine if that external pad is working.

Cheers.

Andy Wilkinson August 11th, 2008 02:01 PM

Pad switch on Rode VM

I guess that since you have instructions that indicate a pad switch you do indeed have one. The first Rode Videomics did NOT have a pad switch (I know as I have one - it's worked fine for me with a HC1/PD150 anyway..... so no loss).

Just mentioning this as I'm sure someone somewhere will be looking for a pad switch inside their (maybe not so new) Rode VM and unable to see anything.....

Allan Black August 11th, 2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 919298)
Just mentioning this as I'm sure someone somewhere will be looking for a pad switch inside their (maybe not so new) Rode VM and unable to see anything.....

Good point Andy, for anyone interested here's the story. About 18 months ago RODE added the VMs internal set of dips witches in response for customers wanting a lower level output. They kept the original audio level output and added -10db and -20db dippers.

It's a set and forget arrangement for the camera you're using it on, it's advised to set that level to -10db and leave it. Those switches are in the battery compartment because there's nowhere else to put 'em Jack.

The 10db pad at the rear of the Videomic is useful when the *input* is too loud.

The internal dippers make no difference to the sound of the mic and after 6 years my early version is working fine. The Videomic is the worlds biggest selling mic of its type.

Cheers.

David Morgan August 11th, 2008 08:17 PM

a ha! now I see em. Just used a magnifying glass and a flashlight and all is well. Kind of like looking for fleas on a dog

Brian Amodeo August 13th, 2010 05:24 PM

Hey, just got one of these things in the mail and I'm wondering if my PAD switch is broken or if this is just how it's designed. Is it supposed to be like pushed inside of the actual mic like this picture shows?

http://i28.tinypic.com/zkhe1g.jpg

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

David Morgan August 13th, 2010 06:46 PM

yes,
take a small flat blade screwdriver and slide sideways. The pots are easy to booger up.

Brian Amodeo August 13th, 2010 06:54 PM

Thanks for the speedy response. Ok, so just to clarify, my mic is fine and that's just how it's designed and I just need a small screwdriver or toothpick to activate the PAD switch settings?

David Morgan August 13th, 2010 07:28 PM

yes, it's not a switch you should need to keep changing

Brian Amodeo August 13th, 2010 08:35 PM

Gotcha. Do you have any recommendations on what I should leave it at? I'm mainly gonna use it for short films and filming skateboarding. I'm pretty sure it's at 0db right now since I haven't touched it yet. Again, thanks for your help, was almost about to send it back cause I thought it was accidentally pushed in or something. Good thing I came here.

Allan Black August 13th, 2010 09:28 PM

The RODE Videomic is shipped with the internal dipswitch set to 0db which is the same level as their original Videomic which had no dipswitches.

For normal use you should set it to -10 and leave it. On the back of your VM is another -10db pad to use in a hurry if the incoming audio is too loud for your recorder.

If you're going to record very loud sounds, say a rock concert, you could set that internal dip switch to -20 but don't forget to reset it to -10 at the end of the session. Try recording a voice at the different settings to see them working.
Cheers.

Brian Amodeo August 13th, 2010 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the information. So the high pass filter switch on the back by pushing the "on" switch all the way up is a quick way to get -10db?

Either way, you guys have all been great help. I'll test out the different settings tomorrow. Much appreciated.

Allan Black August 13th, 2010 11:18 PM

No Brian .. that VM high pass filter switch does NOT reduce the audio level by -10db. Switching that to 'on' reduces the bass in the sound of the VM going to your recorder.

Don't forget to turn the VM OFF after you finish using it. By far the biggest call Rode get is people forgetting to do that .. then complaining it uses way too much battery power.

Take some time to read its instruction manual and don't forget to register on line for its 10year warranty.
Cheers.