DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Post-production Headphones (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/129715-post-production-headphones.html)

Jeff Kolada September 9th, 2008 06:40 PM

Post-production Headphones

I am looking for a good pair of headphones for post-production work. I need something that has good sound representation but cancels out outside noise. What headphones do you all use? I did a search but nothing came up, so if there is another post about headphones please let me know.
Thanks,
-Jeff

Jon Fairhurst September 9th, 2008 10:39 PM

I like the Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones. They have good isolation, and have a reasonably flat frequency response.

Many will recommend the Sony MDR-7506. These are great for tracking and field recording, but they're a bit to "pretty" sounding for mixing.

Both models cost about $100, and will last you years and years, if not decades.

Nick Flowers September 10th, 2008 12:22 AM

For what it's worth, I've used Beyer DT48s for years. Good exterior sound isolation.

I've wondered about the active noise cancelling headphones, such as Bose. Has anyone used these?

Jon Fairhurst September 10th, 2008 02:43 AM

In general, NR headphones have terrible bass response. Look at the specs before you buy.

Steve House September 10th, 2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kolada (Post 931677)
I am looking for a good pair of headphones for post-production work. I need something that has good sound representation but cancels out outside noise. What headphones do you all use? I did a search but nothing came up, so if there is another post about headphones please let me know.
Thanks,
-Jeff

Just FYI, though. While 'phones are fine for logging, evaluating shots for noise etc, and general editing, don't even think of trying to do a mix with them. For mixing you must use proper monitor speakers.

Jon Fairhurst September 10th, 2008 04:42 AM

Steve speaks the truth. The biggest problems with mixing on headphones are 1) soft sounds come through loud and clear. Many of these sounds will be too soft in real life, 2) the L-R soundfield can't be evaluated well on headphones. For example, if L&R are out of phase, the sound cancels on speakers, but not on headphones, and 3) the bass response is hard to control in headphones.

Still, if headphones are your only option, there you go...

Wayne Brissette September 10th, 2008 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 931817)
For mixing you must use proper monitor speakers.

Get them while you can: Earthworks - Time Coherent Audio Reference Monitors

I will use headphones in post production, however mostly this is for alignment/delay purposes only. When I do multi-track stuff and have to do a two track mix-down, I use monitors, but will when I'm done check it with headphones. I usually also try to check a sample on stereos and car audio systems. Kind of let's me know if I got it right.

Wayne

Ty Ford September 10th, 2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kolada (Post 931677)
Thanks,
-Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Headphones for post? For editing, yes. Audio Technica ATH-M50. For mixing, no unless your viewer will only be listening on headphones. If not, then you need proper monitors placed properly.

Regards,

Ty Ford