DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Removing glue residue from mic body (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/140787-removing-glue-residue-mic-body.html)

David Morgan January 3rd, 2009 02:59 PM

Removing glue residue from mic body

Anyone have a tried and good chemical solution recommendation for removing glue residue left on microphone barrel from tape etc? Don't want to discolor or damage the finish.
thx

Greg Boston January 3rd, 2009 03:20 PM

Try lighter fluid. Apply it to a cloth and rub the glue. If the finish is anodized, it won't come off very easily. Try to avoid any areas of lettering, symbols, etc. as those are probably silkscreened onto the surface.

-gb-

Seth Bloombaum January 3rd, 2009 03:40 PM

I've had very good results with WD-40, of all things. Also good for tape residue on cables. I also would be very careful around painted finishes or logos.

Rick Reineke January 3rd, 2009 03:43 PM

Sometimes applying a fresh piece of duct or gaffer tape will pull off some the old when removed. I've also had mixed results with spray silicone, WD40 & automotive bug & tar remover. In any case, care should be taken around lettering ect.
What kind of mic is at issue? The finish on SM57s & 58s is pretty much indestructible.
The commercially sold Goo-be-gone stuff is useless and the god awful smell is enough to make a chicken puke.

Chris Soucy January 3rd, 2009 03:45 PM

Hi David............

Good 'ol turps is my usual weapon of choice, tho' care is needed on certain plastics, particularly polystyrene.

On anodised alloy should work a treat.

CS

Allen Plowman January 3rd, 2009 03:46 PM

The best glue remover is aliphatic naptha, and that happens to be the primary ingredient in lighter fluid.
I second the motion for lighter fluid

Steve House January 3rd, 2009 05:31 PM

Once you've got it off, to help prevent a recurrence in the future, remember that real Gaffer's Tape is NOT the same thing as duct tape or masking tape. The real McCoy is formulated with a special low-residue adhesive that won't leave its calling-card behind on mics, cables, walls, etc like regular tapes do. For examples, see Gaffer's Tape, Gaffter Tape, Permacel Gaffer's Tape

David Morgan January 3rd, 2009 07:36 PM

thx all for the suggestions.
I'll make sure the matches are in a safe place before proceeding. Mic is an AKG 451. Gun metal dark finish

Shaun Roemich January 3rd, 2009 07:46 PM

I've had good luck with Goo-B-Gone.

Garrett Low January 3rd, 2009 11:07 PM

I'd second the use of Goo-Gone. It works great on tape/glue residue and it won't damage surfaces.

Mark Holland January 6th, 2009 06:36 AM

Hand Sanitizer !

I've had troubles with Goo-Gone removing paint, so I personally don't use it. Lighter fluid works, but IMO, leaves a bad smell throughout the house. Over the holidays, someone demonstrated to me that hand sanitizer removes sticky residue. I tried it myself and was very pleased with the results...Plus, it's cheap!

Good luck!