DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Best Lav Mic Clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/143661-best-lav-mic-clip.html)

Oliver Darden February 12th, 2009 04:28 PM

Best Lav Mic Clip

I am starting a doc in which the subject will be walking and moving around a lot so I am looking for an industry standard lav mic clip (I'm not worried about hiding it) any suggestions?

My main concern is I do not want to hear it rub on any clothing etc.

Thanks and please provide links if you can.

O.D.

Battle Vaughan February 12th, 2009 05:13 PM

Wired? Wireless?
Some names: Tram Tr50 (various configurations for different wireless packs, or xlr) Highly recommended...

Senneiser, Sony, Audio-Technica (these make both wireless kits and wired lavs)
Many here have recommended Countryman and Voice Technologies but I have no experience with either of them.

Little more info about how you plan to use would be helpful, but you can find a lot of specs on these manufacturer's sites or at large vendor's sites like bhphotovideo. //Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Oliver Darden February 12th, 2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1011127)
Wired? Wireless?

Little more info about how you plan to use would be helpful, but you can find a lot of specs on these manufacturer's sites or at large vendor's sites like bhphotovideo. //Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

I guess I should have been more specific, I already have a wireless setup I use a Tram Tr50 with the Sennheiser ew500 transmitter and receiver. I am just looking for advice on the best LAV CLIP.

Dean Sensui February 13th, 2009 02:57 AM

Shure sells replacements that work nicely and aren't too expensive.

Or you can use a C-47... AKA clothespin. :-)

Steve House February 13th, 2009 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 1011153)
I guess I should have been more specific, I already have a wireless setup I use a Tram Tr50 with the Sennheiser ew500 transmitter and receiver. I am just looking for advice on the best LAV CLIP.

There's no one "best" for all circumstances but one definite favourite these days is the Sanken COS11x. You can order it wired for your choice of wireless transmitter or with an XLR for hard-wired use or you can use something like the Ambient Eumel to adapt the wireless version to XLR.

Battle Vaughan February 13th, 2009 05:02 PM

Ah-ha, now I understand. I hate the Tram clips, the mike slips out too easily and doesn't clip firmly, I finally glued them on....afaik the clips are specific to the mike you want to use, but I have seen disposable foam screens and under-clothing mounts for lavs made by Rycote in the B&H Photo Video catalogue, never used them but they look good....Tram offers repacement clips but they are the same darn clip, a tietack clip, a double tie-bar clip, etc, also at b&h...Battle Vaughan

Ty Ford February 15th, 2009 08:35 PM

This is why gaffer's tape was invented.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Oliver Darden February 16th, 2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 1012721)
This is why gaffer's tape was invented.

Regards,

Ty Ford

I hate taping the mic to the person because when they move it moves with them and you really hear that on SOME mics. I like the way clips keep the lav just off the body. I guess everyone just uses the lav clip that come with whatever mic they buy; so I guess ill do the same. When I watch documentary's on PBS they always seem to have this one lav clip that can clip on to a regular t-shirt (no pockets), right at the top of the shirt but I can't find it on B&H. It's sort of a circular clip.

Dean Sensui February 16th, 2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 1012777)
I hate taping the mic to the person because when they move it moves with them and you really hear that on SOME mics.

I almost always tape the mic under clothing or have it barely peeking out somewhere. I also sleeve the mics in a custom-made felt sleeve in a color that matches or closely matches whatever they're wearing. I don't want the mic showing at all if possible.

As for the clip, as I mentioned, Shure makes a replacement clip that attaches to the mic wire. Very compact. Relatively inexpensive. I got a few of them whenever I have to use a lav clip.

Steve House February 16th, 2009 05:14 AM

Quote:

I hate taping the mic to the person because when they move it moves with them and you really hear that on SOME mics. I like the way clips keep the lav just off the body. I guess everyone just uses the lav clip that come with whatever mic they buy; so I guess ill do the same. When I watch documentary's on PBS they always seem to have this one lav clip that can clip on to a regular t-shirt (no pockets), right at the top of the shirt but I can't find it on B&H. It's sort of a circular clip.

Look for a vampire clip to fit your mic. Is has pins on the back so you can fasten it to any fabric. Some mics include them with along with the other accessories such as the alligator jaw 'tiebar' clip while with others they are extra.

Ty Ford February 16th, 2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

I hate taping the mic to the person because when they move it moves with them and you really hear that on SOME mics.

Then you're not using it the way I do.

Ty Ford

Bernie Beaudry February 16th, 2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1011669)
Ah-ha, now I understand. I hate the Tram clips, the mike slips out too easily and doesn't clip firmly, I finally glued them on....afaik the clips are specific to the mike you want to use, but I have seen disposable foam screens and under-clothing mounts for lavs made by Rycote in the B&H Photo Video catalogue, never used them but they look good....Tram offers repacement clips but they are the same darn clip, a tietack clip, a double tie-bar clip, etc, also at b&h...Battle Vaughan

I use Sonotrim and Tram often (both have the same form factor) and really don't have an issue with the clips. Either the vampire or the alligator clips. Its important to use strain relief on the cable to avoid pulling on the clip and mic. Any mounting system will fail if you don't pay attention to how the cable is routed and strain relieved. I go under clothing with the mics almost all the time and have found that when noise crops up its because the person tucked the cable in somewhere and tightened the cable up so its pulling too hard at the mic end. I would avoid gluing the mic to the clip because if you need to use a different style of clip or none at all in some instances you can't do it. Placing lavs properly whether hidden or not is part art and part science and takes patience and practice.
Bernie

Bernie Beaudry February 16th, 2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 1012781)
I almost always tape the mic under clothing or have it barely peeking out somewhere. I also sleeve the mics in a custom-made felt sleeve in a color that matches or closely matches whatever they're wearing. I don't want the mic showing at all if possible.

As for the clip, as I mentioned, Shure makes a replacement clip that attaches to the mic wire. Very compact. Relatively inexpensive. I got a few of them whenever I have to use a lav clip.

Would like to hear more about the felt sleeve idea. I would imagine it would help with wind issues. I've found fleece to be very nice for blocking wind when recording outside such as on a ski slope. What mic are you using and how do you make the sleeves?
Bernie

Battle Vaughan February 16th, 2009 12:59 PM

Steve, thanks for explaining the vampire clip, I never knew what it was for...fabric! Ah-ha! The screaming when I stuck it in the people got on my nerves....:) Battle Vaughan

Battle Vaughan February 16th, 2009 01:03 PM

Thanks for the tip, Bernie. I should amend the gluing part to explain it's silicone sealer, which is removable when needed, but then has to be re-done. The Tram clips have a hard time holding the mikes, which are rectangular, and they slip out...they're tiny, so hard to affix otherwise. I like the idea of clips that hold the cable, I'm going in search of these. BTW B&H has a nice short tutorial on how to mount a lav with a half-loop in the cable to avoid the pulling problem..../Battle Vaughan