DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Capturing Sound with a Mixer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/144543-capturing-sound-mixer.html)

Lisa Mathias February 24th, 2009 05:02 PM

Capturing Sound with a Mixer

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new to film production and trying to develop a podcast for my company. We want to be able to do an interview-type show with a host and 2 guests. We have three wireless Sennheiser mics, an Edirol M16-DX mixer, and a Canon XH-A1 camera. We're having some trouble figuring out how to use the mixer. Is it possible to plug the mixer into the camera, and if so, how? I know syncing the audio in post is the best option though, is there a fast and easy way to do so? Or is there a way to record audio and video at the same time directly into the computer without having to sync it in post?

Thanks for your help!

Christopher Glavan February 25th, 2009 01:19 AM

Lisa,

Judging from Roland's site, this mixer is designed to work with a digital I/O module that includes digital in/out ports, as well as usb. the 16-pin connector on the back of the mixer labeled "DX Bus" connects to this I/O module via a dedicated cable. Check it out here.

Andy Tejral February 25th, 2009 07:11 AM

You need two 1/4" TRS plugs to XLR cables-should be available wherever you got the audio gear. Use the 'main out' connectors. Make sure the camera is set to line in rather than mic in and you are good to go.

Jay Massengill February 25th, 2009 09:45 AM

To add, the two cables with TRS 1/4" on one end will need MALE XLR on the other end to connect with your camera. (The cables are available in both genders, male XLR to act as an output from a 1/4" balanced line-level jack, or with female XLR to act as an input to a 1/4" balanced line-level jack.)

If you can only find shorter TRS to XLR cables without spending a lot of money, then simply add regular XLR cables to the 1/4" TRS to male XLR cables to extend them.

There are applications to record video and audio directly into the computer, but I'd always record to both the camera and computer as a backup.

Adiwinata Liem February 25th, 2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Tejral (Post 1018140)
You need two 1/4" TRS plugs to XLR cables-should be available wherever you got the audio gear. Use the 'main out' connectors. Make sure the camera is set to line in rather than mic in and you are good to go.

Hi, I'm a newbie here, so sorry if my question is very basic. What's the difference between setting the camera audio to line-in and to mic-in?

Thanks.

Andy Tejral February 25th, 2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adiwinata Liem (Post 1018240)
Hi, I'm a newbie here, so sorry if my question is very basic. What's the difference between setting the camera audio to line-in and to mic-in?

Thanks.

A line level signal is much louder than mic level. If you have a mic plugged into a line input, you won't hear anything. If you have a line level plugged into mic input, it will be extremely distorted.

common numbers: mic level = -60 dB line level = +4 dB