DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Recording a Concert VX2100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/144791-recording-concert-vx2100.html)

Luther Bouchillon February 27th, 2009 08:24 PM

Recording a Concert VX2100

I will be Recording a band next Saturday night this will be the second time I recorded them. I am using a sony VX2100, the last time I videod them with a shotgun mic. you could not pick up the Bass Guitar. This time I am going to use my Lanc adaptor and hook in to the sound board. My questin is are ther any setting's on the camera that I should adjust in order to pick up more base or should hooking in to the sound systeam work better than the shotgun Mic.

Steve House February 28th, 2009 06:06 AM

What kind of band, what kind of room, what kind of sound system, what audio gear do you have? Generally speaking, a shotgun, or any other kind of mic, on the camera won't be any good for recording live music but to say more about how you might approach it we need to know more about what you've got to work with.

What does the LANC adapter have to do with audio?

Luther Bouchillon February 28th, 2009 08:23 AM

Sorry about the lack of information. This will be a Rock band in a Bar that has a stage and dance floor. I'm not sure what kind of sound systeam they have I will try to get more info on that. Don't know whay I said lanc what I meant to say was XLR adaptor since the vx2100 does not have xlr inputs. The bar is a very big open area and host a lot of big time bands and I will have my camera set up in the lighting and sound booth. I have a Beachtek dxa-4 2 channl xlr-adaptor.

Tom Hardwick February 28th, 2009 08:25 AM

Steve's asked all the right questions Luther. Don't forget that the adjective 'shotgun' simply describes the pickup pattern, and it (like 99% of all microphones) is designed to be used close up to the noise.

So did you have your shotgun mic close to the bass guitar or it's loudspeaker last time? I'm guessing not.

Maybe your 'LANC' adapter is really a Beachtek XLR box? In which case plugging that into the soundboard's mixer would be a good way to go. You'll need to switch the VX to line-in rather than mic, and maybe use manual audio levels if you're fast on the gain knob.

You can consider digital overload to be irretrievable and excruciating on the ear.

tom.

Steve House February 28th, 2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luther Bouchillon (Post 1019951)
Sorry about the lack of information. This will be a Rock band in a Bar that has a stage and dance floor. I'm not sure what kind of sound systeam they have I will try to get more info on that. Don't know whay I said lanc what I meant to say was XLR adaptor since the vx2100 does not have xlr inputs. The bar is a very big open area and host a lot of big time bands and I will have my camera set up in the lighting and sound booth. I have a Beachtek dxa-4 2 channl xlr-adaptor.

A stereo line level feed from the soundboard could go to the Beach, its inputs set to line. One problem you'll face is the sound operator is going to be equalizing and mixing so it sounds good for the room and he'll be riding levels constantly. The resulting mix may or may not be any good for recording. Try to take your feed from an Aux output prefader if possible so at least your signal will be at a constant level. Another thing to discuss with the operator is how the band will be mic'ed - they may not even be taking all the instruments through the PA, only taking leads, keyboards, and vocals while leaving the drum kit unmiked and the bass coming out through its own stage cabinet.

Luther Bouchillon February 28th, 2009 09:05 AM

Thanks Steve and Tom. I'm doing this work for a good friend of mine most of my work is wildlife so this is all new stuff to me.