DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Iriver e100 record settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/146166-iriver-e100-record-settings.html)

Will Tucker March 19th, 2009 10:13 AM

Iriver e100 record settings

Hello Everybody!

When I plug in an external mic to my Iriver e100 I notice that the quality setting is 'medium'. I have tried to look up how to get the recording setting to 'high' with no such luck. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I couldn't find it under 'settings' or anything that would be obvious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
William

Will Tucker March 22nd, 2009 11:25 AM

Figured it out...

You just press and hold the right side button while recording and the record quality settings pops up--if anyone else has that question. I have had the unit for about a week now and I am very happy using it! 8 Gig of space, line-in, plays videos and you can use a Micro SD card to expand the memory another 8gigs. I got it all for $53.00!

Stan Harkleroad March 23rd, 2009 07:32 AM

Where did you buy it from?

Will Tucker March 23rd, 2009 07:44 AM

I got it from the Walmart website. You can even have them ship it to your closest Walmart for you to pick up for free.

Vito DeFilippo March 23rd, 2009 08:00 AM

I thought the discontinued ifp series iRivers were the only ones that would take an external mic. Are you saying you can use a lavalier with this one?

What's the quality and ease of use like?

Will Tucker March 23rd, 2009 11:22 AM

The iriver e100 also has a line in for an external mic as well. I have used it for two weddings and I am very pleased with the sound. I got the mic from Giant Squid Audio lab. This is just a little thing, but in my opinion it looks more pro than the iFP Irivers (I have two of those as well and I love them too.) The color video screen is not bad too!

Dave Blackhurst March 23rd, 2009 01:26 PM

Hi Will -

Stumbled across the e100 the other day - so do you use the same GS mics as the old iPF-7xx and 8xx series took? And would you rate the audio better or about the same?

Thinking of perhaps upgrading, although the e100 seems to get really mixed reviews... not bad for the price though.

Will Tucker March 23rd, 2009 04:18 PM

I would say it sounds about the same for me. Because of the color video screen it is a bit easier to navigate than the older ones. I also really like that you can charge it through the USB cord instead of buying those AA batteries. I read many mixed reviews myself, but for my limited application (back up audio for a ceremony) it really does a good job. Some of the problems people reported will be fixed if you update the firmware after you get it out of the box.

It also helped when I switched it from USB mode to UMS mode for file transfers.

I think you get a lot of bang out of your buck with this one.

Vito DeFilippo March 23rd, 2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Tucker (Post 1032060)
The iriver e100 also has a line in for an external mic as well. I have used it for two weddings and I am very pleased with the sound.

Unbelievable. And I thought the day of the iRiver was over...

Dave Blackhurst April 11th, 2009 11:51 PM

e100 isTOTAL GARBAGE for audio recording!!!!

I picked up a couple of these for the line in capability, since I've used the ipf7xx and 8xx series with great results. Great looking little device, price was too tempting to pass up. After testing (and updating the firmware to the latest version as some suggested), all I can say is if you are thinking of using this unit for an audio recorder...

STAY AWAY!!!!!!! RUN!!!!

I read a number of reviews complaining about how noisy the line/mic input was, figured it couldn't be that bad... WRONG, it's WORSE!!!!

There is a constant high frequency variable squealing (bad preamp design I'd guess, and supposedly those who have asked iRiver about it were told "that's how it is") in the background of the audio recorded. Tried switching to the line in instead of external mic, and it was "better", but still noticeably present. Tried with Giant Squid and another stereo lav I just got that is quite good, so it wasn't the mics... NO objectionable noise on my old iRivers, so they are AOK.

NO WAY this is acceptable for the typical wedding/event use with lavs. I MAY keep one of the ones I bought, as it's an OK high capacity multi-media player, but I'll have to see how the video/picture quality is - saw mixed reviews on those "features"...

I see they have an updated version of the e100 coming soon, I'd hope they are better, but the e100 is a "no go" for audio recording - I tested two units, and both were similarly noisy (if it were video, you'd have constant random macroblocking or snow!!), so unless there are some "good ones" out there somewhere, you'd be better off with the old ones!

Considering how cool these looked, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, and normally I don't like to give a "bad review", but this one is deserved as far as the audio/mic/line in goes.

Sam Houchins II April 12th, 2009 01:20 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Saves us the headache.

Stan Harkleroad April 12th, 2009 01:42 AM

Wow, I'm really surprised. I have an H120 and 320 and they are fantastic units. I've seen plenty of people say good things about the 7XX and 8XX series also. I'm not sure what's going on with this company but they are not what they used to be.

Dave Blackhurst April 12th, 2009 10:38 AM

Keep in mind that I'm ONLY referring to the audio recording/line in function - I fiddled with the picture viewer, and it seems nice, and I'll try the video at some point (the videos they included as samples seemed adequate, but limited viewing angle...).

Seems to me that the e100 might serve well for playback, it's just not up to the task for recording and using as a backup audio "capture device" the way that many video guys use them.

I'm still thinking that keeping one of the two I got for storing the music collection for the road, might be a nifty idea - lots of space for tunes on 8Gb! I'm still a little nervous as the unit I updated the firmware on no longer will connect to my main machine, but seems fine on other computers... so a little strangeness there...

It's just a big disappointment that the line/mic in is so noisy, especially when compared to the older 7xx and 8xx - don't know that the "H" series worked for line/mic in?

Stan Harkleroad April 12th, 2009 04:56 PM

Yes, the H1XX and 3XX series are great for recording. The stock firmwares aren't fantastic so many people use Rockbox which makes things easier. The H1XX has optical in also. Many people who record live music use these recorders for their line in. I have a H120 and H320 and use them fro recording with a mic/preamp combo and recording line in from mixers.

Malcolm Bowman April 22nd, 2009 11:41 PM

Iriver e100 recording issues

Hey all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to assist.
I recently purchases an e100 to record some DJ sets through the Line In option

The first time I did this it appeared to turn itself off for some reason, part way through the set
I think I sorted the problem but now when it records it is playing through the built in speaker at the same time and draining the battery

I'm sure it didn't do this the first time but I can't work out how to turn it off.

Is anyone able to assist???