DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Praise for the Sound Devices MM-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/16208-praise-sound-devices-mm-1-a.html)

Andrew Petrie October 24th, 2003 05:33 PM

Praise for the Sound Devices MM-1

I used the Sound Devices MM-1 for the first time this past weekend, and man is it worth the money. Crisp sound, no zoom motor noise from the camera, and phantom power provides much, much cleaner sound than an internal battery.

I was doubting my ME66 before, but it kicks serious bootie with a pre-amp. I'm extremely happy with my sound package now. All I need is a lav mic for interviews, and a wireless setup for boom/glidecam use.

:D

Bryan Beasleigh October 24th, 2003 06:20 PM

All of the sound devices goodies are great. Well designed and built like a brick outhouse.

I have the 302 and it rocks

www.sounddevices.com

They have a very thorough web site with a lot of good reading.

Dave Largent October 26th, 2003 07:13 PM

Andrew,
Just curious, what exactly did you notice in comparing battery power versus phantom? I'm in the situation where I have the ME64 and have never been that happy with it, but I've only been powering it with a battery. I also have a Sound Devices preamp --
the MP-2 (about the same as their MixPre) -- but haven't used it with the ME64 yet.

Andrew Petrie October 26th, 2003 07:42 PM

Dave, before I used the MM-1 I had my ME66 (w/K6 battery) and an XLR-RCA cable hooked directly into my XL1S line-in. The result was a low constant hiss. Not loud enough to be a problem for the average listener, but there.

Taking out the battery and using the MM1's phantom power the hiss was gone. It also seemed to perform better in closed spaces.... I found this odd since a shotuns don't like cramped spaces. I'll do more testing indoors.

I'm guessing the battery in the K6 module either has poor shielding, or the single battery is simply not providing enough power for a clean signal. The MM1 uses 2 batteries so more sustained power probably has a lot to do with it.

Marty Wein October 26th, 2003 11:44 PM

<<<-- I'm guessing the battery in the K6 module either has poor shielding, or the single battery is simply not providing enough power for a clean signal. -->>>

I would not make such a statement about the K6, since you were not using a balanced connection and you were going line in without a mic preamp.

Bryan Beasleigh October 27th, 2003 11:15 AM

The final connection to the XL1S will be unbalanced no matter which way you look at it. The higher the signal level the less likely there will be noise.

Perhaps Andrew could use the battery with the MM1 and then pahntom top see if he can detect a difference.

Marty
For short runs being balanced may make no difference at all. The Signal level may be affected by the the chamge in input impedance but to little detriment. For long runs it's very important.

If I'm traveling , I don't bother with my Beach