DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser G2 on cam mounting solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/163744-sennheiser-g2-cam-mounting-solutions.html)

Ben Moore April 5th, 2009 02:31 PM

Sennheiser G2 on cam mounting solutions

I just got a new Senn. G2 wireless kit and noticed that the hot shoe adapter mounts the receiver in a way that the antenna is a horizontal position. I would like the receiver to maintain a vertical position to match the orientation of the transmitter which is vertical. What kind of adapter would work best, I know there are a few out, I just want something simple.

Thanks
Ben

Gareth Watkins April 5th, 2009 02:52 PM

Hi Ben
I have used heavy duty velcro for years. I use the G2 plastic mounting plate minus the hotshoe attachement which unscrews, and just attach to the camera battery...Works great.
Regards
Gareth

Darren Smith April 5th, 2009 08:58 PM

+ 1 for the velcro - very simple and very cost effective - win-win

Cheers
Darren

Richard Gooderick April 6th, 2009 02:38 AM

I don't use my G2 very often but when I do I clip it onto the strap on the camera (Canon XH A1), like you would clip it to a belt.

John Willett April 6th, 2009 03:42 AM

How about using a bounce shoe adaptor like this one - so uou can tilt it through 90-degrees.

Gareth Watkins April 6th, 2009 05:06 AM

Other advantages of Velcro on the battery are that it :
1) adds weight to the rear of the camera improving balance...
2) Its out of the way of the controls, mic and handle
3) It leaves the hotshoe free for a video light which I often use..
4) As Darren pointed out it is a very cheap solution.

I leave mine in place most of the time, only removing if I use with a mixer....

cheers
Gareth

Michael Liebergot April 6th, 2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Moore (Post 1055365)
I just got a new Senn. G2 wireless kit and noticed that the hot shoe adapter mounts the receiver in a way that the antenna is a horizontal position. I would like the receiver to maintain a vertical position to match the orientation of the transmitter which is vertical. What kind of adapter would work best, I know there are a few out, I just want something simple.

Thanks
Ben

Ben two solid ways to mount your wireless vertical, would be using Velcro like what was mentioned and Velcro it to the back or your camera batteries. this way the camera stays nicely balanced.

Another way, is if your camera has a shotgun mount already attached is to get a J-Rod Twin (thej-rod.com), This will enable you to mount a shotgun mic and wireless receiver to your shotgun mount. I swear by them, as they work fantastic and keep my setup lean.

Gareth Watkins April 6th, 2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 1058684)
Another way, is if your camera has a shotgun mount already attached is to get a J-Rod Twin (thej-rod.com), This will enable you to mount a shotgun mic and wireless receiver to your shotgun mount. I swear by them, as they work fantastic and keep my setup lean.

I don't know about other cameras but the Z1 has two really tiny little screws holding the mic mount to the camera... I'm not sure I'd want too much more weight on it. I have a system made in the UK by CVP that incorporates a mic mount with a shock mount for the mic but I don't use it for this reason.
Other cameras of course may have more solid fixing systems..

regards
Gareth

Michael Liebergot April 6th, 2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins (Post 1058922)
I don't know about other cameras but the Z1 has two really tiny little screws holding the mic mount to the camera... I'm not sure I'd want too much more weight on it. I have a system made in the UK by CVP that incorporates a mic mount with a shock mount for the mic but I don't use it for this reason.
Other cameras of course may have more solid fixing systems..

regards
Gareth

Gareth, I have 2 modified FX1's which have use the Z1 mic mount assembly, and is mounted using the exact 2 screws that you mention.
In 3 plus year of using the J-Rod, I have had 0 issues with it.

The only thing that it may do is make one side of your camera a bit heavier than the other, so if you place the camera flat on the ground, while having a QR plate attached, then it might tip over. So I just place my camera on it's side, if I ever have to place it on the ground, which is rare.

But rest assured, that your Z1 mic mount will be strong enough to support a Sennhesier wireless and shotgun mic.

BTW, I use a Sennheiser G2 system and Rode NTG1 mic on the J-Rod. And just for reference

Ben Moore April 6th, 2009 02:38 PM

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions!

I'm begining to wonder why the receiver bracket was ever designed to mount the receiver in a horizontal position. I would think that more after than not the transmitter would be in a vertical position. I did not read anything in the documentation about antenna orientation. I wonder if Sennheiser has an opinion in this matter. Maybe its not an issue with these units, you would think they would mention it in troubleshooting tips if it were an issue.

Ben

Guy Cochran April 7th, 2009 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was hoping that Sennheiser would listen and make the G3 antennas rotate like the Sony. For now, I'm using a Bracket1 with the EW clip as a great solution. Feels very solid and stable. I can swing around, run etc and not worry about the receivers flying off. Bracket1 at DVcreators.net

John Willett April 7th, 2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran (Post 1062823)
I was hoping that Sennheiser would listen and make the G3 antennas rotate like the Sony.

This is a bad idea!

Rotating aerials add cost, moving parts and unreliability. The G2 antennas are extremely tough and reliable with virtually never any problems or breakage.

I would say that reliability is more important than being able to rotate an antenna.

With G3 this becomes unimportant as the G3 is diversity.

Guy Cochran April 7th, 2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1063055)
This is a bad idea!

Rotating aerials add cost, moving parts and unreliability. The G2 antennas are extremely tough and reliable with virtually never any problems or breakage.

I would say that reliability is more important than being able to rotate an antenna.

Since you work for Sennheiser John, you'd know better.
I just know that having sold thousands of sets of G2 that the antennas do break, and that the less expensive Sony receiver with moveable antennas does in fact have a greater range than the G2. I'll put up a comparison when the G3 beta unit arrives.

Guy Cochran April 7th, 2009 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more less expensive shoe option is the HAMA Delvcam Hot Shoe Mount solution. It has a cold shoe and 1/4-20 thread with moveable ball. Here is a picture from our Sony/Sennheiser range test.

It's tough to tell in the pic, but you can do a full 90 degree angle with the ball head.

Ben Moore April 7th, 2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1063055)
This is a bad idea!

John

What is your opinion on antenna orientation? Does it affect reception on the G2 units?

Thanks
Ben