DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Removing Echo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/17024-removing-echo.html)

Rob Wilson November 13th, 2003 12:10 PM

Removing Echo

Anyone have any suggestions on how to REMOVE echo using either Primeire Pro or Adobe Audition? I've got some editing to do on tape provided by a client that was made in a small room and has lots of echo. I'm looking for a way to cacel it out a bit.

Thanks

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 06:48 AM

Have you looked through the filter lists? I don't have those
programs here so can't check it out myself.

Rob Wilson November 24th, 2003 07:44 AM

Rob,

Yep, sure did. Lot's of ways to add echo but didn't see any to cancel it. Thanks though.

J. Clayton Stansberry November 24th, 2003 03:03 PM

I was wondering the same thing, just with FCP??? Anyone know how to Remove echo instead of add it with FCP4?

Joe Sacher November 24th, 2003 03:27 PM

I doubt there is any specific plugin that will remove echo. It is a very complex problem. I don't know if there are any tricks such as inverting the phase, reducing the inverted volume to the same as the first echo and sliding the audio down to the first echo. No idea if that works, but it might cancel out the following echos.

Martin Garrison November 24th, 2003 11:15 PM

An expander might lessen the effect, but I don't think you'll be able to get rid of an echo.

Ken Tanaka November 24th, 2003 11:42 PM

I recently ran through the echo-removal gauntlet...painful, but at least partially possible. (I am currently running through the same gauntlet for a re-cut of the same material.)

Bias' Sound Soap did a pretty good job for me. I do, however, have two caveats.

1. My footage was close-miked with a Sennheiser MKH416 shotgun. This is an excellent mic that rejects a great deal of off-axis noise. So the raw sound track was relatively clean. I don't think results would have been nearly as good if I had used my ME-66.

2. Even with Sound Soap the process was hardly push-button. It took hours of experimentation to determine the settings that scrubbed most of the echo without flattening the resonance of the voices.

Good luck with your project.

Mike Butler November 25th, 2003 03:24 PM

Yep, that's the story in a nutshell...lots of ways to add echo but not to take it out. How much of a problem would it be to do a retake? ...or to "foley" in some new audio in post?

Rob Wilson November 25th, 2003 04:09 PM

In this case, no chance for a retake or foley. It's an interview conducted by detectives of an individual accused of agrevated assult. Done in a small interview room, hard walls, ceiling and floor. I'm going to talk to them about improving the quality of recordings with better mic placement and hopefully some sound deadening.

Martin Garrison November 25th, 2003 05:07 PM

This sounds like a great story.

Ken Tanaka November 25th, 2003 05:17 PM

It does, doesn't it? Like, "How do I keep the sound of a suspect's head hitting the mic from distorting?".

Rob Wilson November 25th, 2003 05:42 PM

Well, there is some good stuff, but nothing compared to the latest Lady X (whew)

Ken Tanaka November 25th, 2003 05:52 PM

Yuh, that one's a little strong, eh? Gee, let's hope you didn't shoot anything like that in a U.S. police station!