DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Flat Speakers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/18448-flat-speakers.html)

David Applegate December 16th, 2003 09:16 PM

Flat Speakers

I have a professional sound editor who helps me with many tasks and he recommended I get flat speakers for my audio work. I know very little about flat speakers and how they work and what makes them different than every other set of speakers. I also want to know if they are worth the money, who sells them, and what their advantages are. Thank you for your time.

David Applegate

Bryan Beasleigh December 16th, 2003 09:47 PM

By flat, would you be referring to the frequency response curve?

Flat as in uncoloured or neutral.

A speaker with these attributes is a reference monitor. A lot of people like speakers with a lot of bottom end, some may enjoy a more pronounced mid range, for mixing and editing you need neutral, flat, or to put it another way realistic sounding speakers.

I really think you should read some of the links that have been posted. It'll aquaint you with some basics that might help you better understand.

I started a thread on monitors yesterday and asked for input for passive and powered monitors. Passive means you supply the amp and active means it's built in.

Built in amps can be better as rthey may be designed tpo suit the speakers exactly. That also may a load of old rubbish so far as some brands go

After you get through the initial haze, it's a fun subject (and expensive)

J. Clayton Stansberry December 16th, 2003 10:14 PM

Have you asked your professional sound editor? He may have some good advice, although he may suggest some really high end monitors. But, he also might know what would be good for you, in knowing your direct applications in dealing with the audio editing you do. Just a thought...

Clay

Graeme Nattress December 17th, 2003 05:42 AM

If that's flat speakers, QUAD ESL63 electrostatic loudspeakers (expensive) were often used to monitor classical recordings. They're one of the most neutral sounding speakers ever made.

If it's just the sound that has to be flat, not the shape of the speaker, then head into your local music store (that's making music, not buying...) and look at the recording monitors they have. Think Genelec, Tannoy etc. Perhaps a pair of powered monitors would suit you (no need to buy matching amp, and cabling is easier) but you're talking > $1000 here, but you'll know that your audio sounds good.

Graeme

David Applegate December 17th, 2003 09:33 PM

Thank you all for my answering my questions. Especailly Bryan and Helen. Bryan I would just like to let you know I ordered the book and am reading those websites in my spare time, they have really helped me.

Bryan Beasleigh December 17th, 2003 09:59 PM

David
If i can ever help, email me at bbeasleigh at rogers dot com.

David Applegate December 17th, 2003 10:26 PM

Thanks alot.

Bryan Beasleigh December 17th, 2003 10:43 PM

www.dv.com is offline right now, but they will be back up tomorrw (hopefully). Jay Rose hangs out at the audiop forum and the man answers ALL QUESTIONS, regardless how simple they may be.

He sure doesn't do this for the big bucks.He just likes helping people.

J. Clayton Stansberry December 17th, 2003 11:17 PM

David,

Also check out Jay's website before or after you read his book (best on the block!).

http://www.dplay.com/

Clay

Martin Garrison December 18th, 2003 12:12 AM

Speaking of Jay Rose. I think he recommended a while back the JBL4410s for passive studio monitors.

David Applegate December 18th, 2003 07:09 PM

Jay

I just ordered his book a couple of days ago and am looking forward to reading it.

Bryan Beasleigh December 18th, 2003 10:33 PM

I went out and listened to a few today. I liked the Tannoy reveal and the Yorkville.

Gordon Lupien Jr. December 23rd, 2003 01:59 PM

You can also build a set of Focal Aria 5's, based on the classic D'Appolito design. These are extrememly flat (+/- a fraction of a db, if I remember correctly) from 100-150 Hz to 20Khz +, assuming that you build them correctly and place them properly.

The kits may be hard to find, but try Madisound and some other big place in NY, Zaltron or something. The prices last time I checked were about $1K per pair, including enclosures, drivers and crossovers.

I've been using them for years, and several people have come to the same conclusion after auditioning them. They are exceptional, inexpensive for the quality of sound and simple to construct (or finish).

With the kit, all you have to do is mount the drivers, insulate the enclosure, wire it all up and paint it. (not necessarily in that order).

- GLupien