DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Beachtek/mixer and AGC Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/18463-beachtek-mixer-agc-camcorders.html)

Dan Brown December 17th, 2003 08:28 AM

Beachtek/mixer and AGC Camcorders

Anyone have any thoughts about plugging a shotgun (AT835b) and wireless lav (Senn EW100) into the stereo mini jack on an AGC only camcorder (Pana DV852)? I'm thinking of getting a Beachtek, but I wonder if some kind of mixer with gain might work better. I assume the 852 runs the mic input through its AGC.

Thanks...

Helen Bach December 17th, 2003 11:41 AM

Dan,

I used to run a workshop a few years ago and the cameras all had AGC only. The AT835 was one of the mics we used. The cameras were S-VHS and S-VHS-C Panasonics - can't remember the model numbers. The AT worked well enough going straight into the camera, via a simple cable adapter to go from XLR-minijack. We also used AT Pro88 wireless mics straight in as well.

We made lots of shorts that way and, though not ideal, the sound was OK.

Best,
Helen

Mike Rehmus December 17th, 2003 07:47 PM

You will probably be OK as long as the sound environment doesn't have both high and low sound levels at intervals that sync with the cycle-time of the AGC circuit.

If it does, then you will get pumping and that is quite annoying. I tried everything to stop the action and finally had to trade up in cameras to stop it. (This was about 6 years ago).

Dan Brown December 17th, 2003 09:44 PM

I'm such a newbie dork! I'm happy with the camera choice because it is a high bang for the buck video solution, and it will give me more $$ for the rest of my project. Plus it arrives tomorrow, just in time for the holidays.

I firmly believe that top notch audio is critical, even more so that super stable camera movements.

I read about the PMD 670 today, and I think that it is a better audio solution than a mixer and cabling, etc. Heck, it's cheaper than FP33 or SD302. Of course I'll have to sync up the audio, but if I start each clip with a clapper-thingy (sorry for being so technical), then I can aligned sound and picture in iMovie or FCE.

Right?

Then, I can run the shotgun through the 670 with 48v. The wireless lav can go inot the 670 too. I can run the in-camera mic all the time and get what ever to produces. From time to time, I can run the wireless lav into the camera and ride AGC, for the so-called run-and-gun mode. Seems like a pretty versitale set-up.

Mike, thanks for all your thoughtful replies, they have really helped me zoom in on a system that will work for me, and my budget.

Dan Brown December 17th, 2003 09:49 PM

I re-read that and felt I shortchanged you Helen. Your replies are also greatly appreciated. Folks like you both should be commended for taking the time with these seemingly endless waves of newbie questions. If you ever get to Fort Worth, look me up, lunch is on me, I know a really good BBQ joint (Imagine that :~)

Bryan Beasleigh December 17th, 2003 09:54 PM

I have a PMD670 and it is a great rig. As flash cards come down in price things will get better. You can't get any better than the sound devices 302 , but then you still have to go back on DV tape.

What ever you decide to buy, make sure you always leave room for growth. You may not always have a consumer cam with AGC. The one you have is pretty darned good, for a one chipper.

So far as side stepping a $170 adapter for a $9.50 1/8" stereo to XLR, it's just good common sense. If it works then great, that's more for the next upgrade.