DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   How about some more on BOOM POLES? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/18844-how-about-some-more-boom-poles.html)

Aaron Koolen January 19th, 2004 06:52 PM

Sounds like we all are going to end up with these. Yeah those K-Tek's look nice but expensive. And I too need the cash for a lot of other stuff at the moment.

Aaron

Matthew de Jongh January 19th, 2004 07:23 PM

i can't see the value in the other models, i noticed that in the gitzo there are holes if you wanted to run your own cable, but i really prefer having a long xlr cable that i can attach to the boom pole or i can use it for other stuff. one less thing to buy and more importantly, one less thing to lug around.

maybe its just me but i'm big into multi-use things.

matthew

Marcia Janine Galles January 20th, 2004 07:00 PM

John, you posted that you use the Lightwave mini mount, but (sorry if I'm a bit clueless) since the thread was on boom poles, can I assume that you bought the "boom swivel carriage" that Lightwave sells as well? Is it as easy/quick to go from camera to boom setup (or otherwise change it out) as their web site implies? I've suffered long enough with a totally lame camera mounted thing. Tried to save money after buying the DVX, and it was a big mistake. To get the darn rubber-bandy contraption tight enough on the camera that it didn't move around, I had to get my husband to loosen it with oil, and lots of muscle, when I need to mount anything else. Def. NOT quick or easy to mess with. Was from Sennheiser, too.

John Locke January 20th, 2004 07:17 PM

Marcia,

Lightwave has changed the MiniMount since I bought mine. The closest model to what I have is this newer one they offer. (Looks like the boom carriage and the MM are sold separately)

Generally, I don't remove/replace items on my camera that often...mainly for time, also because I tend to leave something behind if I take it off, and also because I have the balance points marked for a 3x and 16x setup on my Glidecam (therefore, removing any element changes the balance).

For those reasons, I bought two MiniMounts... one for the camera which stays on all the time, and one for the boom pole which also stays on all the time. If I'm not using the on-camera mic, I just unplug it, but leave it on the camera for the reasons stated above.

Aaron Koolen January 20th, 2004 07:33 PM

I've just ordered the Gitzo 557c from B&H so will do a newbie "initial impressions" rundown when I get it unless someone else wants to do one first.

Be interesting to see if it works well with my current ME66 and AT8415 shockmount (that I just ordered the other day too).

Aaron

BTW: John, love your SursumFilms logo on the website. Very excellent. Love the animating light.

Marty Wein January 20th, 2004 07:33 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Marcia Janine Galles : Is it as easy/quick to go from camera to boom setup . -->>>

It is not.....

John Locke January 20th, 2004 07:46 PM

Thanks, Aaron!

Marco Leavitt January 20th, 2004 08:40 PM

I've got the Gitzo G557, which I think is a pretty common boom. I could see how you could be in a situation where you needed a longer boom, but for most every situation (for us so far anyway) it's about the perfect length. It's pretty light too, and for the price, I'm really happy with it. I'm using an Audio Technica 8415 shockmount, and an ME-66 with a K6P module. Sometimes we use a Rycote softie, and the boom doesn't bend too much.

Marcia Janine Galles January 21st, 2004 10:09 AM

Marty, John, thanks for the response. Will continue my hunt, and most likely buy two of whatever.

Matt Gettemeier January 21st, 2004 10:39 AM

I read a post over at dv.com where a guy said that he'd used a K-Tek pole that had zero handling noise... and then the company he was booming for bought an aluminum pole and he said he had a hard time totally avoiding handling noise.

If that's the case then it would be worth the extra couple hundred for the K-Tek in that same length. The guy actually says "graphite pole" rather then K-Tek... but I'm pretty sure for it to be graphite it had to be a K-Tek... almost everything else is carbon or aluminum.

So if the Gitzo has any bending problem compared to other poles I'd like to know... Is it JUST as stiff as a K-Tek?

Also please comment on whether or not you've had any handling noise and if so, is the mic in a proper shockmount?

I'm a very unbiased person... I only tell the truth according to my experience on this forum and I like when others do the same... so with this issue, if the K-Tek really is significantly better in your experience then please do tell.

I'll be happy to get the Gitzo... but if somebody can give me one or two HARD reasons to go with the K-Tek then I'll be happy to pay more and get that.

Marco Leavitt January 21st, 2004 11:14 AM

With the Gitzo, it can be tricky to avoid noise, but I wouldn't blame it on the pole. The cord banging against the pole can be a problem, as can the operators' fingers bumping the metal. Both problems can be avoided by binding the cord to the pole with hairbands, and insisting that the operator never grip the pole anywhere but on the padded handle. We've never experienced any problem with pinging from the locking rings or anything. Carbon fiber poles seem overly extravagant to me, which isn't to say I wouldn't buy one if I had lots of cash.