DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio Technica U100 Vs Sennheiser Evo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/18889-audio-technica-u100-vs-sennheiser-evo.html)

Hayden Campbell December 27th, 2003 10:17 PM

Audio Technica U100 Vs Sennheiser Evo

I am looking for a wireless system to record sound for a "one man" Documentary in Israel and the Palestinian Territories, to film interviews (indooors and outdoors) and run and gun.
I am undecided on which system to choose. I understand that the Sennheiser Evolution 100 systems are the majorites choice on this forum.
However, I will be mainly recording in refugee camps which are narrow and full of objects that may interfere with the reception especially for the run and gun situations.
Therefore, I am wondering if the Audio Technica U100 system would be a better choice for the money?

But as all the people who are in my postion and budget I am most interested in sound quality. Is there a major difference in sound quality and quality of the components between the two?

All opinions welcomed.

Dan Brown December 27th, 2003 10:36 PM

The nature of your project is incredible. It's hard to imagine what your experience will be like. Life altering, I suppose.

I've been looking at the same questions as you. The Sony UWP-C1/2 could also be on your list. The Sony and the AT both use diversity receivers, which will perform better in marginal RF environments. I don't know about sonic performance, but I suspect the choice of microphones will be the biggest factor.

The AT uses a TB5M microphone connector, which locks into place and is probably more rugged than the mini-phone connectors on the Senn and Sony. The Sony and AT both have headphone outputs, but the camera might provides this in the first place. The Senn and the AT run on 9-volt batteries, the Sony uses AA size, will that matter?

The AT provides balanced output from the receiver, which might help with longer cable runs. The Senn and AT both have metal cases. I'm not sure, but the Sony looks like plastic to me. All of them are about the same size, but the Senn is nearly twice as heavy.

I think the AT also provides a few volts of phantom power, as it can drive the new AT899 omni lav. But I'm sure there are many fine mics available for any of them.

It's a tough call, right now, I'm leaning toward the AT, with the Sony a close second.

HTH.

Cheers...

Dave Largent December 30th, 2003 04:20 AM

I've heard the Sony system might be a bit noisy,
and that the mic that comes with it is not the
best. I was looking at the Sony myself but
when I heard about these other issues .....

Mike Rehmus December 31st, 2003 02:58 PM

You should also investigate the use of a transmitter in Israel. Many countries do not allocate the RF spectrum as is done in the U.S. First stop would be the manufacturers of the systems, second stop would be the Israeli consulate.

I'd guess they, in particular, will be very picky about what you do and the equipment you employ.

I've yet to get into a situation where the lack of diversity caused a problem with my Senn system. The supplied lav is very good and is powered by the transmitter. Also, the Senn is heavy because it is very rugged. I've had the transmitter dropped 4 feet onto concrete by the talent with no damage done.

Also, buy spare antennae and cables when you buy the system. It can be very hard to buy spares as you probably know.

Oleg Kaizerman January 1st, 2004 08:17 AM

befor you thinking what mike you will buy consider bullet proof jaket since you probably will be nice target on the fence:-)
there are few companis here that making those products

for one man band consider to invest in used lectrosonic 195d or
or even 195 regular
you will get much better sound and greater range and
there are no problem between the 21-25 lectro blocks( 520-665mhz) ,there are no hard rf blocking here and you can use single chanel tx
between the at and sen i probaly choose the sen that have better sound (better:-) less worse between the 2 ) even the at is divercity it doesnt have grater range and it havier and eat much faster the batteries
USED AUDIO LTD 2000 or even 190 lectro are much better choices

Mike Rehmus January 2nd, 2004 10:59 AM

Yup, the use of a ballistic vest and maybe helmet and visor is a good idea. Even a rubber bullet can kill you. Actually, even the riccochets can do a lot of damage.

Before I go out with the police I put on the vest. Then I pick up the camera.

I think you almost have to have discussions with Israeli and Palestinian authorities before you venture out there. People with good intentions and cameras do get hurt.