DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Anybody try out a Rode NT1000 or NTK yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/18983-anybody-try-out-rode-nt1000-ntk-yet.html)

Matt Gettemeier December 30th, 2003 03:33 AM

Anybody try out a Rode NT1000 or NTK yet?

I'm hoping that Dave or Beas will see this... You guys are definitely helping my quest more so then anybody else has over the last few months... the proof really IS in the pudding.

I'm very intrigued by the Rode NT1000 and the NTK. Based on what I've heard in an NT1a I'm really excited about Rode mics. In fact if nothing else I'll for sure get an NT1a... but it's just not that much more cash to just go for the NT1000.

BTW it's 3:30am right now so that should give you an idea of how inspiring you were when I tried to go to bed three and a half hours ago.

But thanks for your time and hard work! It is HIGHLY appreciated!

Dave Largent December 30th, 2003 04:04 AM

I have a Rode NT4, which I believe is just two of
their NT5 capsules set at a 90 degree angle.
If I'm not mistaken, Bryan had an NT1A for awhile
but returned it cuz he found it a bit harsh
for his liking. I've heard his Oktava 012 and
it is notably smoother than the NT1A.

Matt Gettemeier December 30th, 2003 05:14 PM

Rode should send a buck to Beaser... after I heard how good his voice sounded on the NT1a I became enamored with Rode.

To be fair, the NT1a wasn't the BEST mic for Beas' voice... but I was so surprised at the character that I made a logical assumption and began investigating the higher models.

So here we are less then 48 hours later and the new boom pole will have to wait.

I'm in the process of evaluating a new NTK and so far I like it, but there is one thing that has become emminently clear to me in the last couple days... The mic you like BEST will come down to your personal taste.

Choosing any mic should be a personal decision... at the lowest prices there aren't too many choices... but as price goes up it really is a matter of taste.

Frankly I can't even confidently recommend that anybody buy what I bought... I sure like it, but at this point I think getting a mic SOLELY on what you read would be like letting somebody else order dinner for you without even knowing what you like.

Hmm, the waters get more cloudy and more clear at the same time. (That sentence will make sense to somebody...)

Matt Gettemeier January 1st, 2004 09:34 AM

I hate to be almost the only one building on my own post, but I want to do a two-day follow-up... If you're like most people then you do a lot of experimenting and evaluation in the first few days of a new gear purchase...

I think that there are some real bargains on these mics now because I expect that the K2 and NT2000 are the replacement models? Perhaps Rode will sell all four models for a while but with plans to phase out the NTK and NT1000... I don't know.

The one thing I would like to say is that most of my non-DV buddies, and my girlfriend, always shy away from my microphones when I push them in for commentary or narration. Everybody says, "I don't like how my voice sounds..."

Well with the new mic everybody is fascinated with the sound of their own voice. Even me. I haven't found one person yet who is shy in front of this mic. I don't tell them I'm recording as they proceed to ramble on, sing, laugh, and generally act the fool because it's like they've discovered something new.

I just thought I'd throw this information out there for the majority of you who have never played with a large diaphragm studio mic. You may want to check one out... This thing has been the best mic value of ALL the mics I've ever bought. BY FAR.

Dave Largent January 1st, 2004 02:45 PM

Which mic do you have? Which one are you referring
to that sounds so good?

Bryan Beasleigh January 1st, 2004 06:43 PM

He has the NTK (tube mic)