DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   firewire audio sync (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/19263-firewire-audio-sync.html)

Mo Zee January 4th, 2004 08:48 PM

firewire audio sync

is there hardware/software that can sync a dv deck through firewire from a midi clock signal?

this is for scoring/ADR purposes

Jay Massengill January 4th, 2004 08:56 PM

I won't say categorically that this can't be done because I haven't looked at this type of hardware in the last year, but generally speaking this is accomplished two ways that are different from what you are asking.
Traditionally, the deck is the master and the timecode from the deck is converted to midi and used to drive your audio software/hardware package.
More currently, the video footage is captured directly into the audio program and played back by the computer at preview resolution in sync with the audio.
It's much easier to drive an audio system, or an all in one audio/video software package, into sync rather than trying to drive the deck in sync.

Mo Zee January 5th, 2004 03:41 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Massengill : More currently, the video footage is captured directly into the audio program and played back by the computer at preview resolution in sync with the audio.
It's much easier to drive an audio system, or an all in one audio/video software package, into sync rather than trying to drive the deck in sync. -->>>

this is how i do it, but i'm not able to preview video on a tv, which i especially need because i have a recording booth on a different floor.

i use premiere, logic delta, soundforge, win98se, canopus raptor, delta 1010 sound card.

i'd be very happy if i could get video on the raptor to output to TV inside my audio software. i can do this in soundforge through firewire using the pass through of my deck, but frame rate is bad. not too good for ADR.

Rob Lohman January 5th, 2004 06:30 AM

Perhaps you can use a TV out on your/a video card?

Jay Massengill January 5th, 2004 09:14 AM

Or you could try using a VGA to video converter. This won't be as clean as a direct TV out from your computer, but it might be less hassle as an experiment if your present computer card doesn't have TV out.

Mo Zee January 5th, 2004 09:59 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Massengill : Or you could try using a VGA to video converter. This won't be as clean as a direct TV out from your computer, but it might be less hassle as an experiment if your present computer card doesn't have TV out. -->>>

i tried this and can do this with my video card (matrox dual monitor), but i use both monitors during regular work. of course, i can change this when i need to, but the patching is physically hard. if only there was a cable that has a pc monitor/rca or svideo switcher i can hook up to my patch bay. as of now, i'd have to change cables (aside from choosing a different setting and rebooting)

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Perhaps you can use a TV out on your/a video card? -->>>

same reply as above.

if only logic delta or sound forge could send video to my raptor, then all is solved...

Jay Massengill January 5th, 2004 01:12 PM

Most of the VGA adapters have a loop out for the VGA, so once you've hooked it up, then you don't have to repatch the VGA cables. You might have to reset your screen resolution if you work at a higher res than the convertor can handle. Otherwise, simply turn the converter on or off. Most of them have both S-video and composite video outputs.

Mo Zee January 5th, 2004 04:45 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Massengill : Most of the VGA adapters have a loop out for the VGA, so once you've hooked it up, then you don't have to repatch the VGA cables. You might have to reset your screen resolution if you work at a higher res than the convertor can handle. Otherwise, simply turn the converter on or off. Most of them have both S-video and composite video outputs. -->>>

oh yeah. i will do that. thanks a lot.