DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rich, deep, trailer-type voice effect (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/19288-rich-deep-trailer-type-voice-effect.html)

Steve House December 27th, 2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Ivey (Post 1602234)
Thank you Gerry for that information. That helps A LOT. I will have to just break down and get a preamp/compressor combo of some sort. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? Also, because I'm a COMPLETE novice at audio, is it best to record off-camera instead of on-camera?

Symmetrix 528e Voice Processor is one candidate and not too exotic (read .. expensive). Absolutely record off camera, directly into your audio workstation. Most consumer and prosumer camera's audio is an afterthought on the part of the designers. Of course I'm assuming you have a quiet location and a proper computer audio setup with a decent audio interface, not just the builtin soundcard.

Voice talent Don Capone has an interesting website, www.nurple.com, that has some excelent demos of various commonly used mics - http://www.nurple.com/voice-talent/v...crophones.html - and also a range of preamps etc at price points from bargains to the astronomical - http://www.nurple.com/voice-talent/v...equipment.html

Gerry Gallegos December 27th, 2010 03:08 PM

Depends how big your bank is...

for the most part the cheaper stuff will get you by (ART, Presonus and things like that), but you don't really gert to the WOW stuff till you get into Focusrite and Universal audio and things in that range, however Focusrite makes some affordable units as well as some others. it all really depends on your budget, but pretty much most of the "voice processor" type units will be a drastic improvement over just pluggin in directly to your computer.
Again some good quality solid state will run circles around cheap tube stuff.

if its a camera situation it is traditionally best to record to a separate recorder, that is why Hollywood does this, well one of the reasons, a good stand alone recorder beats recording in camera where by design audio is secondary. but if all you can do is record into the camera, well then you have no choice unless you're willing to invest into a nice separate sound rig.but camera is deff not the thing to do for voice over stuff.

Russ Ivey December 27th, 2010 03:36 PM

Excellent

Thanks Steve/Gerry. Great information.

Helen Habib March 22nd, 2011 12:54 PM

In the early posts of this thread...

I observed the recommendations of tube preamps in the first couple pages. I'm surprised that even as far back - or as recent as - 2004 (depending on which way you look at it) the discussion centred around the use of tube amps. I thought use of such amps were discontinued even before 2004. Are they still in use?

Ty Ford March 22nd, 2011 03:51 PM

Re: Rich, deep, trailer-type voice effect

Hello Helen,

Tubes, solid state, all good. here's the deal.

Good tubes are better than bad solid state. Good solid state is better than bad tubes.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jon Fairhurst March 22nd, 2011 04:20 PM

In general, a tube preamp will sound smoother than a transistor preamp. The transistor preamp will sound brighter and crisper, yet harsher.

The same might be said about ribbon mics (like tubes) vs. condenser mics (like transistors).

But these are generalizations. One could build a mushy transistor preamp or a condenser mic with a very dull sound. Or an over-hyped ribbon mic and tube preamp. Like Ty says, good beats bad.

But the generalizations can help steer you in the right direction. If you did a test and wanted something crisper, brighter and more clinical, you probably wouldn't first reach for a ribbon mic and a tube preamp.

Helen Habib March 22nd, 2011 07:35 PM

Interesting. The reason I asked is because my father used to build tube amps. He would wind the transformers on a machine and build the entire amp from scratch. Later on, one of my brothers joined him and one of his last items was a preamp, the last couple they sold were taken to the States for use. This went on probably all up to the year 2000. However, all around that time, a couple of guys were saying to me that tubes were the old way and everything was boards now (or something like that, they must have meant what you're calling 'solid state').

So it totally surprised me to see this thread as recent as 2004 actually recommending tube preamps. Perhaps they are more uncommon now though, as everything is digital or computerized.

Jim Andrada March 22nd, 2011 11:13 PM

Hi Helen

Tubes are still popular with a lot of people. I know a lot of Rock groups really love their tube amps.

When my wife and I were looking for a new CD player we settled on one that had a tube amplification section and that was just a couple of years ago.My wife was a concert pianist and always felt that CD's sounded "cold" and a bit un-musical - she loves the tube CD player.

Tubes are still being made as are tube based amplifiers, pre-amps etc. And there are a number of (usually pricey) microphones around that use tubes in their amplification circuitry.

I know Royer makes a ribbon stereo mic with tube amplification - might be too much of a good thing but I'd like to hear it one of these days.

Rick Reineke March 23rd, 2011 10:16 AM

One only has to peruse the music pro-audio equipment to see the popularity of tube pre-amps, mics, ect.

Rick Reineke March 23rd, 2011 10:26 AM

One only has to peruse the music pro-audio equipment to see the popularity of tube pre-amps, mics, ect. That said, I recorded a quite famous actor and renowned VO person with a U47/ Neve mic pre a while back, but in hindsight and constantly hearing it on TV, I wish I had used a (solid state) U87 or possibly 414 for his particular deep resonant voice.

Jon Fairhurst March 23rd, 2011 11:38 AM

Looking at Pro Audio Review, here are a couple of tube preamp reviews...
Sonic Farm Creamer Mic Preamp
TAB-Funkenwerk V78M Vacuum Tube Mic Preamp

Hey, even Rode, which makes mid-priced mics, makes tube mics. The NTK is available new for just over $500. There's also the K2 and Classic II.

Guitar tones are all about tubes. Not only do the top guitar amps use tubes, many effects devices include tubes.
Effectrode Tube Effects Pedals | Home

Tubes distort, but they do it sweetly. :)

Brian David Melnyk March 24th, 2011 03:24 AM

another question is: SHOULD you try and get the ' Rich, deep, trailer-type voice effect'????
it is so over-used that it has become a cheesy cliche that just makes me laugh at the trailer... i always think the trailer is a parody, even if it isn't supposed to be!

Brian David Melnyk March 24th, 2011 03:27 AM

oh, and also:
2 inches from a TLM 49 with pop screen through a LA-610!!!

Jim Andrada March 24th, 2011 10:42 AM

@Brian

Good point! I was thinking the same thing, but then again, everyone is so used to the"VOG" (Voice of God) effect that you almost have to do it to have any credibility.