DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Welcome to our new moderator, Douglas Spotted Eagle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/20098-welcome-our-new-moderator-douglas-spotted-eagle.html)

Chris Hurd January 20th, 2004 10:21 AM

Welcome to our new moderator, Douglas Spotted Eagle

You know what's interesting, when I designed the layout of our forums back in Sept. 2001, I specifically set the user name field to accomodate 35 characters. That's because I had my friend Douglas Spotted Eagle in mind at the time. I'd noticed that on other message boards around the web, Douglas couldn't fit in his entire name -- in fact, in some places his online name is simply "DSE." Here at DV Info Net, I wanted to allow anyone with such a long name as his to be able to show it properly. And, when it came time to host a dedicated audio forum, I had Douglas in mind again... a quote of his about audio, "being 70% of everything you see" in video, is a statement that rings so true and I've never forgotten it. Now in a moment of karma, or whatever you want to call it, I'm pleased to announce that Douglas Spotted Eagle has joined our moderating staff here at DV Info Net and has offered to sit in on the audio forum. He brings not only decades of audio production and post-production expertise, culminating in numerous awards throughout his career including a Grammy or two (learn more about his music at www.spottedeagle.com), but also plenty of experience in forum management at Digital Media Net and other places. Having known Douglas since our initial meetings back in the early Canopus days, it is for me an honor and a pleasure to welcome him to the DV Info team. Howdy, Spot! We're sure happy to have you with us,

Imran Zaidi January 20th, 2004 10:33 AM

This is great news. Welcome!

Glen Elliott January 20th, 2004 10:41 AM

The few who aren't familiar with Spot just don't know how good this news really is! It's an absolute pleasure to have you! Thanks for investment in this site- I think I speak for all when I say the time your devoting to be moderator is greatly appreciated.

Aaron Koolen January 20th, 2004 01:53 PM

Haha, I knew you were up to something sneaky Chris! Seeing Douglas pop up here a week or so ago and start posting, I was like "Hmmm, That's cool...he should be a moderator" and well I guess you were 3 years ahead of me on that one ;)

Welcome Douglas.

Aaron

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 20th, 2004 10:41 PM

Thanks guys. Truth be known, there wasn't any ulterior motive to me showing up here. I simply hadn't known the forums had grown so big here. Ed Troxel asked me to have a look around the Vegas forum so I thought I'd stop in. I was also looking for Soundtrack users, since I've just completed a book on the Soundtrack app.
Anyway, glad to be here, thanks for the welcome. Hope to see some of you at the trade events down the road....
In the mean time, Sound On!

Mike Rehmus January 21st, 2004 10:17 PM

Hey Douglas. Welcome.

Paul Tauger January 22nd, 2004 01:59 AM

Hi, Doug! I hope we didn't get off on the wrong foot. Welcome aboard!

Graham Bernard January 22nd, 2004 02:47 AM

Grazie says . . Gotcha Mate!

Douglas . .good to see you here too!

Best regards,

Grazie - yeah? ;-)

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 22nd, 2004 03:48 AM

Not in the least, Paul!!
Grazie, thank you.
Looking forward to being here, lurking, learning, and lecturing...(had to find 3L's in there somewhere's)
Thank you again. I'm happy to be here, it's a very different community from the others I've worked with...and I mean that in a very good way. I very much love the DMN too, and the Sony and Pro Audio forums are great...but I also like to see more DV-Audio.

Aaron Koolen January 22nd, 2004 04:07 AM

I was actually surprised to see you're an audio guy Douglas. I've seen you around the place (Is the internet a 'place'?) as the resident Vegas guru and had no idea you were in audio too.

Aaron

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 22nd, 2004 04:10 AM

Oddly enough, my background is in audio. I hold a degree in Sound System Design and Engineering that is worth about a roll of Charmin....but I do have partnership in a 3 bay facility, fully automated, with 2 5.1 systems. We've authored for a number of television, films, and doccos, not to mention my personal music career as a recording artist for Virgin. (current label)
I was using Vegas before Vegas was Vegas. Sound Forge user for about 13 years now. Still gots my 5" floppies!

Graham Bernard January 22nd, 2004 04:50 AM

5" Floppies eh? - You ARE old . . .hahaha ;-)

Grazie

Marco Leavitt January 24th, 2004 10:55 AM

Welcome! I see from your bio that you live in Utah. I'm a former Salt Laker. Hope ya like watery beer! :)

Glen Elliott January 24th, 2004 05:05 PM

Yeah back before his Vegas book was released I ran a search on "Douglas Spotted Eagle" over at Amazon. Though it didn't come up with the book I was anticipating it *did* come up with a bunch of *his* albums! After that I was more suprised he's as much a Vegas guru as he *is* now that it's seems more sononomous with video. Coming from the exact opposite- a background in visual art, I have much to learn from Spot. Audio IS so much a part of video it's incredible. I tried watching some sceens from our doc. "without" the score and it wasn't even near the same. Definitly helps to have musician friends to compose an original score for my works. *Here's hoping Spot does an ALL audio training series for Vegas 4 w/ the crew at ClassOnDemand*

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 24th, 2004 06:07 PM

Glenn,
We are doing an audio for DV series with a focus on Vegas. It won't be with Class on Demand, however. We've launched our own VASST line of DVD's to correspond with our VASST book series from CMP.
Audio is a top priority, no doubt!~