DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Live Mixing of Two Lavaliers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/20684-live-mixing-two-lavaliers.html)

Paul Vlachos January 31st, 2004 06:51 PM

Live Mixing of Two Lavaliers

Hi All.

I'm interviewing two people who usually team up, and I'm debating whether to interview them together or separately. Still not sure yet, although there are pros and cons to doing it both ways.

If I do them together, though, I'm stuck with a dilemma. First, I'd have to get another lavalier, as I only have one. OR, I could have a mic on a boom between them at waist level, but I'm worried about the reverb - for lack of a better way to describe it - that would introduce into the mix.

If I *were* to get another lavalier, though, would it be better to just record one on each channel so that I could keep them separate for post, or would there be any advantage to mixing them in a tiny mixer and recording the mix on both channels.

I hope this isn't too simplistic a question, but I'm relatively new to video. Most of my past work is still photography.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jay Massengill January 31st, 2004 07:36 PM

If you record using two lavs, you should definitely keep them separated on two tracks during the original recording and then do the edit/mix in post. Once the signals are mixed you can't undo it. If you really won't have much time for post and you have a talented sound mixer, you can get away with live mixing but it's risky.
Depending on the room you record in, how wide your framing is, whether you want a mic to show, how quiet or loud the two are, etc. etc., you can use a single low-noise, high sensitivity mic for both people. Lavs will have less pick-up of the room, but if the room is good acoustically, the single mic can work well.
Lot's of variables here, but usually using two lavs on the two interviewees recorded separately to two tracks is the safest route.
If you only have two tracks to record on and you use them for the two lavs on the interviewees, then you'll have to get answers that can stand on their own since you won't have the questions recorded properly. You can replace the questions in post if you absolutely have to.
If you really must also record the questions live, then you will have to do some mixing or use the single mic for the interviewees and your lav for the interviewer. As always you've got to pick what will give you the best results in the end with your particular set of circumstances.

Paul Vlachos January 31st, 2004 07:47 PM

Thanks Jay. Your answer confirms my gut feelings. I just wanted to make sure.

My issue now is not wanting to buy another lav. If I had the money, this would be a good time to - or a good justification - for buying a wireless setup, which would at least not be redundant - but I've spent a ton on equimpment lately.

Still, two lavs would be the way to go. I really don't need the questions recorded for this project.

Maybe I should scour ebay for cheap lavs.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 31st, 2004 11:54 PM

There are several Audio Technica 831B's on Ebay right now...for under 70.00. They are great and all but bulletpruf

Paul Vlachos February 1st, 2004 12:08 AM

Thanks for the tip, Douglas. I'm on my way over to eBay...