DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Thoughts on this Setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/21251-thoughts-setup.html)

Rob Zeigler February 12th, 2004 10:17 AM

Thoughts on this Setup

Hey all,

My new GL2 is on it's way and I'm also making orders for a decent tripod system and an audio setup. The world of audio is very daunting and I've been searching post after post and have learned some valuable information.

I will be filming interviews indoors using a wireless lav mic with a shotgun on boom as backup, and filming interviews and outdoor segments with the same shotgun on a boom.

Originally I was looking into the AT831B as a lav, but being as it was wired and that I thought wireless might prove to be more convenient, I am opting for the "Azden WLX-PRO Camera Mountable VHF Wireless Lavalier System with WR-PRO Receiver and WLT-PRO Body Pack Transmitter/Lavalier Microphone" (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=3656&is=REG). Although...this does seem like a step down. I do not have $200+ to spend on a wireless setup at the moment though. Should I just stick with the AT831B? I want to avoid the possibility of hum, but with a VHF wireless setup, I know that it only has 2 channels and that leaves it wide open to interference.

As for the shotgun, it's either going to be an AT897 or an AT835B.

Now for the questions...I was going to wait until I received these mics to check out their connections, but I'm assuming the Azden wireless lav mic is a regular connection (GL2 native, 1/8"?) but the AT is probably XLR. If so, will the MA-300 be an acceptable way to connect this mic, or any XLR mic for that matter, to the GL2?

Also...what should I do about this lav setup?

Thanks for everything!

Jean-Philippe Archibald February 12th, 2004 10:28 AM

You may want to check at the Beachtek D4X-4p for XLR inputs.

Jay Massengill February 12th, 2004 10:43 AM

I would go with a wired lav, either the AT831b cardioid or the AT803b omni, instead of the Azden wireless. Wired will be more reliable and have better sound generally. For sitdown interviews the wired connection isn't a problem.
I would also choose the AT897 versus the older and longer AT835b for your shotgun.
I don't have any experience with the MA300, but using some kind of XLR adapter will be necessary.

Rob Zeigler February 12th, 2004 12:06 PM

Jay,

Any specific advantage between cardioid or omni lav mics for my purposes?

Thanks again for all the replies!

Jay Massengill February 12th, 2004 12:59 PM

This gets argued alot and opinions vary. Generally speaking, omni is easier to place and has more open sound. Sometimes this isn't what you want though and need the slightly better isolation of a cardioid. If the cardioid gets pointed substantially away from the wearer's mouth there will be significant sound drop off. With either model, if the talent turns their head there will be some drop off too, so the omni isn't a "magic bullet", just less prone to drop off with normal placements and the talent facing forward.
Cardioid has more proximity effect, which is the build up of low frequencies as the mic is moved closer. Sometimes this gives a good "beefy" sound and sometimes it's too much bass. With omni there is less proximity effect so sometimes that means you can place the mic close enough to actually get better isolation from ambient sound than with a cardioid.
Omni is less vulnerable to wind noise, all other factors being equal.
Like I said, there's no clear cut answer and it depends on how you like to place the mic, who it's on, what room you're in and how loud the ambient noise is.
I don't think you can go too far wrong with either the 803b or 831b at their price point. If you have an extra $60 you could get the much better AT899. It's an omni and a newer smaller mic with very good sound and good accessories.