DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Azden 500UDR Users, Which Lav...? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/21741-azden-500udr-users-lav.html)

Eric Lian February 21st, 2004 09:20 PM

Azden 500UDR Users, Which Lav...?

I'm looking to buy a UHF lav/transmitter to go with my newly acquired Azden 500UDR receiver. I would like for the lav to be in the sub $400 range - more like $200 range. Do they even exist? Why do lavs cost so much?

I want to use it for simple interviews. No chance of interference from other roving set ups.

Any suggestions? Any preferred suppliers?

Thanks for your help!

Don Bloom February 21st, 2004 09:36 PM

The Azden 41BT is the transmitter that will work with the 500UDR and should have been included if you bought it new. Comes with a lav also.
Don

Marty Wein February 21st, 2004 09:39 PM

The current model is the 51BT BodyPack transmitter and either the Azden EX-503 or the Sony ECM-44B Lav

Eric Lian February 21st, 2004 11:56 PM

Thank you

Don and Marty,

Thank you for the information and the links. I've searched high and low for months, but somehow never stumbled on the info I was looking for. What you provided is exactly what I needed.
Outstanding!

Ed Baatz March 5th, 2004 09:23 PM

Azden's 51BT has a 4-pin Hirose connector. Are there any adapters that would allow connecting a "normal" XLR type mic to the 51BT?

I have a 41BT and a 51BT and it seems to me that it would be most useful to record using mics other than just lav mics like the EX-503H or ECM-44H. For example, if recording the audio from musical instruments or from a podium --- but without runing XLR cables...

I also have an Azden 41XT that I can use to accomplish this, but if there is an adapter to go from a 4-pin Hirose connector to a 3-pin XLR it would be very handy...

Thanks, Ed

Don Bloom March 6th, 2004 07:41 AM

Not that I know of.
Don

Marty Wein March 6th, 2004 11:51 PM

Azden should be able to make you this cable at a decent price.

Don Bloom March 7th, 2004 07:36 AM

The last time I talked to them about a special cable they said they don't make specials. You might want to give Armatos in NY a call as they do make special cables but I don't know if they do Hirose conectors.
Don

Ed Baatz March 11th, 2004 07:38 PM

Thanks for the help! Especially from Marty Wein...

As it turns out, a helpful person read my earlier message and contacted Azden and they will now make up these cables (with one end a XLR-3M and the other a Hirose 4-pin male connector) for $39.95 discounted to $34.95.

Still seems rather pricey for just a simple cable --- but I feel most fortunate that I can get them at all... and, I have this forum to thank for that.

Strangely, I figured that lots of people would want such a cable for use with the Azden 41BT and 51BT transmitters...

Anyway, thanks again!

Ed

Bryan Beasleigh March 11th, 2004 07:57 PM

A bare Hirose connector, not soldered to anything retails for $18. Specials are time consuming and someone has to pay the freight.

It is scary , sometimes , what seems to be a simple cable ends up costing an arm as well as some reproductive gear.

Don Bloom March 11th, 2004 09:15 PM

WOW, good info about Azden. The last time I talked to them they said they don't do special cables.
Thanks for the update,
Don