DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What mic would you get for recording voice overs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/23317-what-mic-would-you-get-recording-voice-overs.html)

David Applegate March 21st, 2004 08:24 PM

What mic would you get for recording voice overs?

Hello Everybody,

As you have probably already figured out from my recently posted threads, I am buying new equipment. I'm wondering what mic I should get for this job? It will be used for recording voices in the background of a documentary. I will be using this mic alot, so I want something that will last along time and sounds rich and full.

I was also wondering what type of lav would be best for an interview?

Cheers,
David Applegate

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 21st, 2004 08:40 PM

As far as a lav, until recently I was a Sony ECM55 fan, but last month I got an AudioTechnica 899. Screaming wonderful lil' mother! Slightly smaller than the ECM, sounds more robust, and has a great kit that comes with it.
For V/O, that's a huge question, and is open to a lot of 'correct' answers. What's your budget?

Ken Tanaka March 21st, 2004 08:42 PM

Regarding Voice-Overs...

Here's one recent (long) thread on the general subject.

{edit}
Aw, Douglas, I wish I hadn't seen your AT remark. I have two Sony ECM 55's (wired lavs) that I've really liked. Now your remarks compel me to look at the AT's. :(

David Applegate March 21st, 2004 09:04 PM

Thanks alot for the help

I read those articles and listened to the sound tests and preferred the nt1a but am still wondering if there are better mics out there that are maybe a little higher quality. I am still wondering what lav to get though.

Cheers,

David Applegate

Bryan Beasleigh March 21st, 2004 10:11 PM

You can always find better., but for under $300? The NT2000 is amazingly accurate. Go here http://www.dvfreelancer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52
and listen to Martin Garrison's comparison with the Oktava and a $900 Neumann. The Neumann is best but not by $800 worth.

Listen to all of the cuts. There's a price point where it just ain't worth it any more.

I agree with Douglas about the AT899. It also comes with a pretty amazing accessory pack.

Dave Largent March 22nd, 2004 11:27 AM

What's in the 899 kit?

John Britt March 22nd, 2004 11:53 AM

Another 899 question to derail this thread...

I'm a little confused, even after looking at AT's website: Is the power module ($199 at B&H) required, or will the AT899 w/out the module ($139) run off of phantom power normally? The specs say XLR phantom powered, so I assume that power module is for use w/ wireless kits, etc.? Also, Douglas -- have you experienced the "cable noise" mentioned in the DV review of the 899?

David -- I decided to get the NT1A and am pretty happy with it so far. What do you mean when you say, "recording voices in the background"? Do you mean vague background chatter? The NT1A is quite sensitive, so would be good for picking up the nuances of distant sounds, but is quite sensitive to handling as well, requiring the use of a mic stand and shock-mount. How important are these voices and how clear do they need to be? Would a simpler shotgun mic, or even the on-cam mic, suffice? I'm using the NT1A as my "studio" mic -- I'm not sure that I would take it out into the "real world," unless I wanted to record ambient location sounds. Or maybe I just haven't learned to control the mic yet...

Bryan Beasleigh March 22nd, 2004 12:38 PM

WWW.audio-technica.com seems to be down right now. The brochure lists the goodies in the kit. There is about every clip known to mankind included. There is a small surface mount that you could use to make the mic operate as a boundary mic

John
I've not noticed any cable noise and you need the $200 kit that includes the power module. The mic will operate on battery or phantom

John Britt March 22nd, 2004 02:18 PM

Bryan

So why sell a model w/out the power module? (Well, I assume that it's because more than one AT mic uses the module) What purpose does the module serve in transferring power? (If you can't tell, I really want to save that extra $60!)

Regardless, the 899 sounds like a good value for the money, even at $200.

Bryan Beasleigh March 22nd, 2004 03:49 PM

I just tried to access the AT site and it's still down. I thought they might have included a wiring diagram. The mic as a pigtail can be used with a variety of wireless situations, you just have to install the proper termination. I imagine it would also work wired into an XLR.

For $60 you get the power module and have the option of using battery or phantom. The mic itself has a TA3 mini connector to mate it with the power module. This isn't some piece of plastic crap, it's a well built unit. You also get all the accessories.

Call or email Audio-Technica for the wiring particulars.

Adam Lubkin March 22nd, 2004 07:30 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but would the 899 work well in situations where it needs to be hidden?

Dan Brown March 22nd, 2004 08:25 PM

I'm probably mssing something here, but wouldn't a voice-over mic be something like a large diaphram condenser or a calssic dynamic like a Shure SM58 used in a sound room? Why use a lav?

Adam Lubkin March 22nd, 2004 08:31 PM

In the second part of the first post he asked:
"I was also wondering what type of lav would be best for an interview?"

David Applegate March 22nd, 2004 08:49 PM

Dan Brown,

"I'm probably missing something here, but wouldn't a voice-over mic be something like a large diaphram condenser or a classic dynamic like a Shure SM58 used in a sound room? Why use a lav?"

I am using the lav for an interview situation where the mic should not be noticeable and a classic dynamic mic for voice-overs.

I would really appreciate it if you guys will take a look at this website suggested by Bryan Beasleigh and tell me what you think:

http://www.dvfreelancer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=b364e054c60bf9619a196fc2aaa97779

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

David Applegate

John Britt March 22nd, 2004 09:02 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by David Applegate

...a classic dynamic mic for voice-overs. -->>>

I thought that condenser mics were preferred for voiceovers?