DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio-Technica ANC7 QuietPoint N/R closed headphones (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/234255-audio-technica-anc7-quietpoint-n-r-closed-headphones.html)

Dan Bridges April 28th, 2009 09:52 PM

Audio-Technica ANC7 QuietPoint N/R closed headphones

I'm not seen these noise-reduction headphones mentioned here before. Am I the only guy using them? I use them for location monitoring of the headpoint output of Panasonic NV-GS400 digicams, minidisc recorders & a Zoom H4.

They seem relatively uncoloured for enclosed headphones, the NR works well, they have good sensitivity (important for the relatively low output of the GS400 when you're not using it's AGC) and they're comfortable.

Dan.

Steve House April 29th, 2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Bridges (Post 1134763)
I'm not seen these noise-reduction headphones mentioned here before. Am I the only guy using them? I use them for location monitoring of the headpoint output of Panasonic NV-GS400 digicams, minidisc recorders & a Zoom H4.

They seem relatively uncoloured for enclosed headphones, the NR works well, they have good sensitivity (important for the relatively low output of the GS400 when you're not using it's AGC) and they're comfortable.

Dan.

The problem with NR is that it is processing the signal. For monitor cans the objective is not to sound good, it's to sound accurate so you can evaluate the recorded signal. Any processing in the playback system, such as that done by the noise cancelling circuits, means you're not hearing exactly what is on the recording. They may be great for listening to music but the very factors that make them great when listening for pleasure will make them not so great when listening for work.

Dan Bridges April 29th, 2009 02:00 PM

I normally don't like the sounds of enclosed headphones. I've found I can live with these. The problem I faced was the low headphone output levels with the GS400's I use. With other enclosed headphones I tried, I couldn't get enough sensitivity or isolation from the sounds I was recording to clearly hear problems. I did not want to incorporate a headphone amp. I already carry too many extra things. I don't mix on site. I mix multiple sources in post. I find these headphones uncoloured enough to evaluate what I'm recording and whether wind, hum or other environmental noise pickup is a problem. The N/R definitely helps to increase isolation. The headphones are comfortable too. I don't want to stick my head in a vice.

Back in the early eighties I recorded a lot of classical music performances, mainly for FM broadcast, first using a modified Revox A77, 15"/s, 1/2 track reel-to-reel tape recorder, later to a Sony PCM-F1/SL-F1E combo. Then I preferred to use open-backed electrostatics: first Stax SR-X Mk. 3 with an SRD-6 adapter (and a power amp to drive it!), later Stax Lambda Pros with a SRM-1 Pro headphone driver. I tried Beyer Dynamic DT 48 enclosed headphones, but I didn't need the isolation then & they didn't sound anywhere near as uncoloured as the electrostatics.

Today, I'm happy with the ATs. The recording situation is different and is less demanding. Having the ears of a 54 y.o. may have something to do with it.

Dan.

Steve House April 30th, 2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Bridges (Post 1135111)
Today, I'm happy with the ATs. The recording situation is different and is less demanding. Having the ears of a 54 y.o. may have something to do with it.

Dan.

I hear ya. 64 yo ears here, but I like my Sony MDR7506's