DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless used or new? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/236029-wireless-used-new.html)

Roy Feldman May 25th, 2009 07:28 AM

Wireless used or new?

Price the same:Used (Trew) Lectro 195 or new Senn G3?
One man band interview situation.

Karl Lohninger May 25th, 2009 11:12 AM

Roy, even though the Lectro 195 is a bit outdated it'll sound better than the Sennheiser, it'll have a longer reach than the Sennheiser etc. etc. BUT having only one fixed frequency is a serious limitation.

I also have a pair of 195s in my collection and they're behaving flawlessly IF the frequency is OK. But I can always switch them out. As a sole single system, I don't know.

If with ' one man band interview situation' you mean there's a person a few feet away from the camera talking, then the Sennheiser will do it's job fine. In this case I'd go with the Sennheiser.

Marco Leavitt May 25th, 2009 12:14 PM

A lot of people say if you are looking at used Lectros you want to stay with the 200 series or higher. Still, I'd probably take the 195 over the G3.

Matthias Krause May 25th, 2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Lohninger (Post 1148024)
Roy, even though the Lectro 195 is a bit outdated it'll sound better than the Sennheiser,

How do you know? Did you already test the new Sennheisers? More things to consider: Cost for upgrading the mic from the Sennheiser and buying new and getting a warranty vs. buying used and pray for the best...

Karl Lohninger May 26th, 2009 05:30 PM

It'll sound the same as the one it's going to replace. That's how I know.

Matthias Krause May 26th, 2009 06:48 PM

Very convincing, thanks.

Mark Boyer May 27th, 2009 09:17 AM

I have 2 Lectrosonics 100 series (block 25) that I purchased used after selling my Sennheiser G2 units (they were new), I am getting a 100mw Lectrosonic units compared to 30mw output for the Sennheiser.

Brian Luce May 27th, 2009 10:18 AM

You never know how well a used mic will hold up, I bought one here and it has NOT worked out for, I regret not buying a new one.

Matthias Krause May 27th, 2009 11:12 AM

I understand that a 100mw output vs a 30mw output translates into a better reach - but automatically into a better sound too?? I donīt think so. Also, does anybody know already how much the new Sennheiser units will put out?

John Willett May 28th, 2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Krause (Post 1149142)
I understand that a 100mw output vs a 30mw output translates into a better reach - but automatically into a better sound too?? I donīt think so. Also, does anybody know already how much the new Sennheiser units will put out?

The USA does not have so tight a spec. as the rest of the world who limit the power to 50mW for a body-worn transmitter. So you could not use a 100mW Lectro in Europe (for example).

Higher power does help with range, but it makes spurious emissions worse and limits multi-channel capability - turning the power *down* makes for far more reliable transmissions in a multi-channel situation.

G3 pocket transmitters have an RF output power of 30mW - which is about the best compromise between multi-channel operation and range; and very often range can be increased with the antennas on the receiver - I have had an SK 50 transmitting almost a mile with careful choice of antennas.

Karl Lohninger May 28th, 2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1149591)
The USA does not have so tight a spec. as the rest of the world who limit the power to 50mW for a body-worn transmitter. So you could not use a 100mW Lectro in Europe (for example).

.....my 250mw Lectros do work well here though, nevertheless.

Higher power does help with range, but it makes spurious emissions worse and limits multi-channel capability - turning the power *down* makes for far more reliable transmissions in a multi-channel situation.

....this is quite some pseudo-scientific statement, puhleeze ! understood that when you have 50 TXs sending all next to each other, the less they put out the less interference and what have you...and of course, turning the power off makes for the most reliable transmission then.

G3 pocket transmitters have an RF output power of 30mW - which is about the best compromise between multi-channel operation and range; and very often range can be increased with the antennas on the receiver - I have had an SK 50 transmitting almost a mile with careful choice of antennas.

To call Sennheisers 30mW the best compromise.....you gotta have some connection (employed by...) with Sennheiser to make such statements. Come on.

Additionally for all new to wireless systems: statements like 'I walked 20 blocks and still got great reception' and such stuff really don't mean a thing.

Reception (interference free) is so dependent on specific circurmstances, be it radio stations, rain, sun, clouds, high rises, steel reinforced concrete walls, what have you .... one could only compare different brands at exactly the same place at the same time.

Nothing against Sennheiser's Evolution systems though, for the price they do well in their niche - there's a reason though why pros spend more money on those things.

Mark Boyer May 28th, 2009 03:27 PM

I agree, there has to be a reason the location sound pros prefer Lectrosonics to Sennheiser (as far as wireless units go). They also prefer Sony head phones and a even split between shotgun mic brands - Sennheiser, Sanken or Schoeps.

John Willett May 29th, 2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Lohninger (Post 1149638)
To call Sennheisers 30mW the best compromise......

That actually came from the Head of Sound at BBC OBs who wanted the output power turned down to maximise multi-channel use.

And Lectros are only the pro choice in the USA - in the UK Audio Ltd. seem to be the ones of choice for TV sound recordists as they seem to tune for maximum range rather trhan for multi-channel capability.

But the new Sennheiser 2000 series (replaces G2 500 series) transmitters now have switchable output power - 10 / 30 / 50 mW - with an additional 100 mW for the USA versions.

Robin Lambert May 29th, 2009 05:58 AM

Karl, I think you'll find that John Willett is either the Sales or Product manager for Sennheiser (Sorry John, I can't remember which) so there may be a bit of bias towards his products.

Having said that, I understand that John is very active in the amateur recording world, so he puts his products to use, as well as selling them.

Hope you don't mind me pointing that out John. It's not in any way meant negatively, hard to phrase in print though.

John Willett May 29th, 2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lambert (Post 1150214)
Karl, I think you'll find that John Willett is either the Sales or Product manager for Sennheiser (Sorry John, I can't remember which) so there may be a bit of bias towards his products.

Neither actually - I'm Technical Support.

Which is why I answer technically and keep sales out of it - I answer factually and don't give personal opinions - at least that's how I try to do it.

Maybe a "bias" in mentioning Sennheiser - but never mentioned inappropriately - and always kept factual without any sales waffle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lambert (Post 1150214)
Having said that, I understand that John is very active in the amateur recording world, so he puts his products to use, as well as selling them.

Hope you don't mind me pointing that out John. It's not in any way meant negatively, hard to phrase in print though.

Yes, I am very active in recording in my "spare" time; I have had several professional CD releases (one in Classic FM's "Full Works" series), I am also involved in running and judging both the British Amateur Recording Contest and the International Recording Contest.

I just try and pass on my extensive technical knowledge in a helpful and factual way - which is why I never "rubbish" anyone else's products.

And - I talk on loads of other products which have nothing at all to do with Sennheiser based on my extensive experience (almost 40 years) in recording.

I hope this helps.