DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   How robust is the Azden SGM-1X? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/23726-how-robust-azden-sgm-1x.html)

Mike Cavanaugh March 29th, 2004 10:59 AM

How robust is the Azden SGM-1X?

I know it is designed for on camera use, but seems pretty light and delicate. What kind of abuse can it take? In and out of camera bags, the occasional bang of the errant boom pole or tipping mic stand are all things that, as much as we try to avoid - happens every day.

Can this mic hack it?

Bryan Beasleigh March 29th, 2004 11:44 AM

I've looked at them but passed for the reasons you mention and their reputation. I've had friends buy them and wind up with a Sennheiser within months. They wound up spending more because they couldn't return the Azden.

Audio Technica have 2 very good entry level shotguns, the AT835b and the AT897 at $240 and $280. The 897 is a new design and well thought of. Rental companies like the AT for it's robust build.

The next step up is the Sennheiser K6/ME66 at $400.

Going up the food chain a bit we find the AT 4073 , the sanken CS-1, Sennheiser KKH416 and the Sennheiser MKH60 ($530 , $780, $1000 and $1450). T hen of course there are the more expensive ones (Yiiiiiiiiikes)

It depends on your needs and the camera that you're inputing it to. For indoor booming a hypercardoid may satisfy your needs. For those we have the Oktava MCO12, Rode NT3, NT5, AT4053.
(50-$190, $152, $300 a pair and $400 respectively)

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 29th, 2004 11:54 AM

My only input here is to avoid Azden at all costs. Sexy looking, but can't cook. Or clean. Or do laundry.

Federico Dib March 29th, 2004 12:18 PM

Hey,
I own the SGM-2X. Donīt know if the 1X is built the same....

I wonīt argue with the pros about mics, but I can tell you two things about this mic...

1.- The SGM-2X has taken a lot of abuse from my inexperienced sound crew, lot of falls, hit against trees, cars.. and two complete days shooting under the rain..
It is still working.
So Robust it is. I wouldnīt think It will survive a few of those accidents.

2.- Well, my mic canīt cook or dance, or anything like that... but It delivers well what I need from it. And Iīm very happy with it.
But then again, Iīm just a partially deaf, loud rock guitar player, so take this comment with that in mind.

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 29th, 2004 12:30 PM

Federico, it's good you are happy with your Azden, but if you get the chance to try out one of the better/higher end mics, take it.
It's like driving a 65' Volkswagen and then trying out a Ferrari on a winding mountain road.

Federico Dib March 29th, 2004 12:49 PM

Douglas I know exactly what you mean. I have indeed used senheiser ME66 and some AT back in school. But the little difference I could hear, couldnīt justify the price difference.

And when one is on a no-budget budget, and is not making any money out of this, (Key Ingredients to my line of thouhg on this post) one tries to get the best deal possible...
And if it has to be a an old 71 Chevy Nova, or a Japanese Squier Strat, so be it.
I wonīt stay home or stop playing because I canīt afford a Land Rover and a genuine American Strat.

Anyone see personal property reference here? :-)
By the way... 71 Chevy Nova rules... I wish I could have brought it with me to Barcelona..

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 29th, 2004 01:02 PM

<<<And if it has to be a an old 71 Chevy Nova, or a Japanese Squier Strat, so be it.
I wonīt stay home or stop playing because I canīt afford a Land Rover and a genuine American Strat. >>>

Amen, boss...Amen. Passion for the craft always comes first!

Bryan Beasleigh March 29th, 2004 01:09 PM

In my friends instance the operational problems were related to the switch . He gave up and bought the Sennheiser and couldn't say enough about the sound difference. He wound up paying for both mics.

When I got one of those "Bryan, why didn't you tell me?" deals. I replied , "I did".

The best way is to try both and you make the informed decision.

Do a search on AT and Azden. You won't find any AT complaints. Look at both web sites, and compare spec. A short paragraph vs a 2 page spec sheet.