DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which mic for recording a mime? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/238508-mic-recording-mime.html)

Paul Cascio July 6th, 2009 05:39 AM

Which mic for recording a mime?

I would assume it has to be really sensitive. Any suggestions would be helpful. :)

Andrew Smith July 6th, 2009 06:01 AM

At first I thought you were joking.

But, depending on what the performer is doing, you could always bolt something directly to the floor of the stage. This would act as a super sensitive pickup of all the foot movements. This in turn could add some artistic highlighting to the otherwise usually silent performance.

Perhaps another mic or two for the audience?

Andrew

Stan Harkleroad July 6th, 2009 07:00 AM

If a mime falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does he make a sound?

Seriously though. I don't know what model would be best but I would think omnis would be a good choice. If he's on a stage find out how far he'll be going to each side and put one mic on each side angled in at 45 degrees. I've seen guys do split stage recordings with live music and it usually works well.

Paul R Johnson July 6th, 2009 07:05 AM

OK - I'll bite. Er.... what noises would a mime artiste make that need to be recorded? Most of the ones I have seen either work in total silence, or have music. Other than that, there seems little point in trying to capture what isn't actually there. I guess you could record their breathing, or their clothes rustling, but they are generally doing their best to be quiet - or have I lost something here?

Paul Cascio July 6th, 2009 07:44 AM

Sorry guys, I was kidding. I thought that was clear, but I appreciate the attempts at trying to help. I wonder if Marcel Marceau ever sneezed during his act?

Michael Liebergot July 6th, 2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1167775)
Sorry guys, I was kidding. I thought that was clear, but I appreciate the attempts at trying to help. I wonder if Marcel Marceau ever sneezed during his act?

Actually, if you ever watched Mel Brook's "Silent Movie", the only word spoken in the movie is Marcel Marceau saying "No!". =)

Jon Fairhurst July 6th, 2009 10:28 AM

Clearly, the microphone should be invisible. I think handheld is best. The mime can hold a an invisible SM58 and interview people on the street with it. :)

Steve House July 6th, 2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1167831)
Clearly, the microphone should be invisible. I think handheld is best. The mime can hold a an invisible SM58 and interview people on the street with it. :)

Invisible people in invisible boxes!

Andy Balla July 6th, 2009 04:49 PM

Clearly, you'd want to use the most "transparent" mic and preamp you have at your disposal!

Dean Sensui July 6th, 2009 05:01 PM

You'd probably need a phantom mic. Not phantom-powered. Just phantom. Get a non-existent furry for it in case you have to record-against-the-wind.

Andrew Smith July 7th, 2009 07:31 PM

I find phantom mics to be especially good for live theatre and opera productions.

Andrew

Dan Brockett July 7th, 2009 08:09 PM

As Nakamichi used to advertise, "what is the sound of one hand clapping?"

Dan