Opinions/Recommendations on Audio Kit & Intro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Opinions/Recommendations on Audio Kit & Intro

Hello everyone:

I've been reading posts on these boards for quite a while, so helpful. Thanks for everyone that has taken the time to lend their knowledge!

I've been researching for quite sometime and am close to taking the plunge with an audio kit. I was hoping to get some opinions and recommendations on the kit please?

I initially was going to try and budget for the Schoeps CMC641 but given the possibility to add the Cut-1 (I know some say not necessary) and that destroying the budget (eliminating the budget available to purchase wireless lavs), I decided to go with the Sennheiser MKH50 for indoor dialogue.

Sound Devices 302
Sennheiser MKH60
Sennheiser MKH50
Tascam HD-P2
Petrol Audio Bag (Eargonizer, large)
Rycote Windsheild Kit
Cables (breakaway, XLR, etc)
Gitzo 3650 Carbon Fiber Boompole - up 12'

Lavs - Tram50s (2)
Wireless - waiting for the Sennheiser G3 (September?)

Any thoughts or alternate recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,
Dan
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Dan,

I'm sure others will chime in with alternate recommendations. Everybody has their favorites, but I think with the kit you have chosen, you can make some great audio. Congrats on stepping up and choosing gear that will last.
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I prefer the K-Tek graphite boom pole, it is light and smoother with a internal coiled cord.

Also buy the Lectrosonics 100 series wireless system, you can use the Trams on the wireless system and with the TR-79 Power Supply you can plug into a xlr cord, now you will have a dual use mic. The Sennheiser is a good system but you will need to buy and wire seperate set of mics for it.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

not all K-tek graphite poles have internal cabling. Mine, for example.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Neidig View Post
Dan,

I'm sure others will chime in with alternate recommendations. Everybody has their favorites, but I think with the kit you have chosen, you can make some great audio. Congrats on stepping up and choosing gear that will last.
Thanks Rob - I'm excited to get going!
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Boyer View Post
I prefer the K-Tek graphite boom pole, it is light and smoother with a internal coiled cord.

Also buy the Lectrosonics 100 series wireless system, you can use the Trams on the wireless system and with the TR-79 Power Supply you can plug into a xlr cord, now you will have a dual use mic. The Sennheiser is a good system but you will need to buy and wire seperate set of mics for it.

Mark - Thanks for the response and feedback. It's looking like I have about $1800 or so to spend on lavs and wireless. I'm afraid Lectrosonics might be out of my price range.

I seemed to skimp most on the boompole (was initially thinking about a K-Tek carbon fiber pole, but that would've run another $400-$500) and the wireless (trying to get decent lavs and wireless but can't go for top of the line).
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

What kind of shoots are you shooting for? That makes all the difference.
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lohninger View Post
What kind of shoots are you shooting for? That makes all the difference.
Some sit down interviews, doc's, and film/tv.

Thanks in advance for your feedback Karl.
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Lectrosonics LMA Kit LEC105 Price: $1,114.00

Lectrosonics LMA Kit

Subtract the $300 for the wireless lav mic upgrade you will need with the Sennheiser units (unless you plan on using the poor performing one Sennheiser includes) and you are only a couple hundred dollars higher than the Sennheiser unit.
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Inner Circle

You might want to look at the Edirol R-44 that is sold with modifications by the Oade Brothers. Ordering for Oade Brothers Audio: Edirol R44 Super MOD- Ground Shipping

I have the stock R-44 and it performs well. The modified version is supposed to be a lot quieter. Had I known about it I probably would have sprung for the modifications.

A single 16-GB card can record up to 10 hours of 4-channel audio at 48 khz sample rate.
Old July 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Lectrosonics LMA Kit LEC105 Price: $1,114.00

Lectrosonics LMA Kit

Subtract the $300 for the wireless lav mic upgrade you will need with the Sennheiser units (unless you plan on using the poor performing one Sennheiser includes) and you are only a couple hundred dollars higher than the Sennheiser unit.
Thank you Mark! The Lectrosonics kit includes the receiver and transmitter, wouldn't it still need a lav? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Old July 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
You might want to look at the Edirol R-44 that is sold with modifications by the Oade Brothers. Ordering for Oade Brothers Audio: Edirol R44 Super MOD- Ground Shipping

I have the stock R-44 and it performs well. The modified version is supposed to be a lot quieter. Had I known about it I probably would have sprung for the modifications.

A single 16-GB card can record up to 10 hours of 4-channel audio at 48 khz sample rate.
Thanks for the heads-up Dean!

I have been struggling on the digital recorder. The Tascam's inability to house more than 8GB at a time makes me a bit hestiant. Do you have any experience in the sound quality between the R-44 and HD-P2?

I would most likely be going from the SD 302, sending line level to those recorders. Would the higher quality SD preamps eliminate the need to get a mod version from Oade?
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #13
Regular Crew

You would use the Trams as a lav into the Lectrosonics then when you need to plug them into the XLR cord you use the adapter. I use the same set up, I carry 3 Trams and use them for my Lectrosonics and also when I use xlr mic cords as well. I bought all of my audio gear as new or used from various reputable ebay sellers and saved a ton of $$.

I have two block 25 Lectrosonics wireless sets, one butt plug, 3 Tram mics set up for the Lectrosonics and 2 XLR adapter transformers for using a mic cord instead of the wireless setup.

Here is a link for the transformer: http://www.trewaudio.com/store/produ...post&p=1171459
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

8gb or 16gb don't make a difference. when in your life would you need to record 16 gb in one piece. Didn't happen to me yet. Your selections are generally solid though I would try to get second hand whatever possible and definitely step up to a lectro system, a 200 or a 400 series.
I'm sure you'd be able to save money replacing the MKH60 with a 416 (save even more with a 415T) - these are workhorses that work!

You say: Some sit down interviews, doc's, and film/tv.

Now that covers a lot and me thinks you're overstretching a bit especially with film/tv...for that you need substantially more equipment. Why not concentrate first on 'interviews' and 'doc's'.

For this you do not need (or even want) the full rycote basket. Save here and go for one of those furry's. The MKH50 is a great microphone - no question. But it's a bit on the expensive side when you're starting out. I'd say 2 wireless systems is minimum nowadays, that means 2 Lectros. Please forget the Sennheiser evolutions thingies if you want to work professionally. Again, especially when starting to build a package go 'second hand' - that's a no-brainer.
Replace the mkh50 with a (used) AKG 460/480 with a ck63 capsule. You'd get easily two of those for a mkh50. Buy your mkh50 after you'r having your basics covered. You're not there yet ;-)
More often than not production wants you to send audio wirelessly......that does mean in the very near future you're going to need 4 systems.....sad but true. Not thinking now about film work (that really is a different thing altogether) think of your recorder strictly as back-up recorder. Think of a) something small that you can schlepp around and b)just something so you can say 'yes' to a producer asking for one. That covers you. Again, good wireless systems are more important for you.

Thinking film you're going to need more than 2 tracks - if it makes sense or not, producers are going to ask for 4 or more. Plus you need to be able to deal with all timecode issues. Your Tascam HD-P2 is a fine machine alright but with some shortcomings. You'd need an additional TC generator for once + 2track limitation. For film work you'd need a smart slate plus something called experience which isn't there yet. Get that first, then move on/up. Then you get a Sound Devices machine and more microphones and more wireless systems and a bigger mixer and Comteks (lots) and video monitors (HD) and playback equipment and sound carts, a wireless boom w/ a wireless private line to your boom operator and boxes and boxes and a bigger car and a second garage to store all your stuff + you gotta find ways to get into the union too.
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
You would use the Trams as a lav into the Lectrosonics then when you need to plug them into the XLR cord you use the adapter. I use the same set up, I carry 3 Trams and use them for my Lectrosonics and also when I use xlr mic cords as well. I bought all of my audio gear as new or used from various reputable ebay sellers and saved a ton of $$.

I have two block 25 Lectrosonics wireless sets, one butt plug, 3 Tram mics set up for the Lectrosonics and 2 XLR adapter transformers for using a mic cord instead of the wireless setup.

Here is a link for the transformer: Tram TR-79 Power Supply - Lavalieres : TRAM - Microphones - Trew Audio
Thanks for that Mark, much appreciated. The used route would definitely save money. Will do some more digging.
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio