DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Using the mini plug AND XLR??? doesn't work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/24183-using-mini-plug-xlr-doesnt-work.html)

Ronald Lee April 6th, 2004 12:41 PM

Using the mini plug AND XLR??? doesn't work?

Hi there,

I have a Sony PDX10, which has the mini plug jack and two balanced XLR sockets.

It seems that I can use the mini plug or the XLR but not both at once.

Is this correct?

I tested this out last night and, unless I'm missing something, I can't do it.

So I guess if I want to use two channels, the only option is to use two XLR inputs.

BUT The question is, suppost I want to use a boom or shotgun that feeds into the XLR (on camera sound) AND either a mini plug microphone or a wireless lavalier microphone receiver (this only have mini plugs, right?).

How can we get this combination to work?

Bryan Beasleigh April 6th, 2004 01:00 PM

You can not use the mini and the XLR at the same time.

You would have to adapt the unbalanced mini to XLR in. I modified my wireless to XLR. Just cut the mini off and solder a male XLR on.

Dale Galgozy April 6th, 2004 09:44 PM

I would suggest using an audio mixer with the XLR input to get both a lav & a boom mic in.

Bryan Beasleigh April 6th, 2004 10:23 PM

Why use (buy) a mixer when all that has to be done is change the mini to an XLR male. That's a $5 (or less) part. Sennheiser even sell the cable. If the guy took you seriously he'd be spending a lot of money needlessly.

A number of mixers don't have mini inputs either, my MixPre and my Sound devices 302 only have XLR inputs.

Ronald Lee April 6th, 2004 10:43 PM

is the cutting and soidering an easy thing?
And it will work perfectly.

heck, why not make an XLR to femail mini-plug extension, for an all-purpose plug.

I wonder even, it's it's possible to buy such things.

Bryan Beasleigh April 6th, 2004 11:16 PM

The locking mini to 3.5mm cable is mono anyway. Your camera input is XLR. Why would you want to keep it as a mini?The adapter you talk about isn't available. It's easier to go from XLR to mini male after you modify it. Go to Lorne Lapham or whereever you bought it, they'll either have the cable or be able to put an XLR on the one you have.

It works, I've been using the cable for 2 years now. I'd have to double check the pinouts but it's the easiest and cheapest way out. Look at the link. the part is a CL 100 XLR cable. The choice is yours, get an XLR put on your CL1 cable, order a new cable at $40-50 or whatever else you decide.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/relaunch/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_wireless-systems_evolution_series100_21411#

Ronald Lee April 6th, 2004 11:32 PM

First, wow, that sennheiser looks nice (drool).

That's it, there's a picture of what I am talking about.

And that's good question: why would I want to use both mini-plug and xlr?

Because, most wireless receivers are miniplug output into your mixer/camera/deck/whatever. And I would like to consider using both the shotgun mike (on channel 1) and a wireless on channel 2.

In other words, it's gotta be both XLR, won't work if I mix mini-plug and XLR,

Bryan Beasleigh April 7th, 2004 01:03 AM

Ronald
You saw it in sennheisers catalog so you know it does exist. If you read my text, most field mixers don't have 3.5mm mono inputs. Most people i know use the locking mini (receiver out) to XLR (camera in)

If you were to use the mini input, the audio would only be on one channel.

That picture is what i was trying to tell you. Sennheiser makes a locking mini to XLR cable for wireless receivers.

Frank Granovski April 7th, 2004 01:48 AM

Ronald, the Apex 191 comes with a XLR plug. It's a good cardioid mic, and it only costs $99 Canadian. It's a perfect low cost mic for the PDX10.