DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   New Gitzo Carbon Fiber boompole (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/24882-new-gitzo-carbon-fiber-boompole.html)

Marcia Janine Galles April 21st, 2004 03:31 PM

New Gitzo Carbon Fiber boompole

Does anybody have the G-557C? I'm asking because it just arrived, and while I can't believe how much I love this thing, I was just curious why there's a small hole on the last extension piece, a little under the shock mount thread/screw. This doesn't have the ability to internally run cable, so why the hole? Is it a flaw or is it there for some reason?
Marcia

Jay Massengill April 21st, 2004 04:16 PM

The hole is for the exit of an internal cable (before the connectors are attached of course). This pole is too small in diameter to feed already connected XLR's like some larger poles can.

Marcia Janine Galles April 21st, 2004 04:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Massengill : The hole is for the exit of an internal cable (before the connectors are attached of course). This pole is too small in diameter to feed already connected XLR's like some larger poles can. -->>>

You mean an internal cable "from the factory," as in a pre-cabled version of this ? Didn't know it came any other way. Of course I may not be understanding what you mean, never having owned one before. What do you mean "before the connectors are attached? Sorry to be so clueless. In any event, at least it's not a flaw. That's all I was really wondering about. :-)

Rob Wilson April 21st, 2004 04:45 PM

Marcia,

While the Gitzo's don't come with an internal cable, you could add one yourself. Only catch is you have to cut one end of you XLR cable off so you can thread it through the holes provided, then reattach the XLR end. Here is a quote from Gitzo's web site:

All Gitzo microphone fishpoles have telescopic extensions which are locked into place with convenient twist-lock system, allowing simple and efficient setting of the required boom length. Each pole comes complete with its own unique 1/4" - 3/8" reversible mounting screw, port hole for microphone cabling at both ends and soft rubber hand grip.

The "Port" hole they are talking about is what you're describing.

Aaron Koolen April 21st, 2004 04:56 PM

Marcia, yeah I got mine a couple of months ago and I like this pole too. Dunno if you were like me but I used a painters pole before and well, you can guess the difference! The best thing I like about it is how small it goes. Good for tight spots and carrying around. My painters, was about 4metres at max extension but it was still 2 metres at it's shortest!

Aaron

Marcia Janine Galles April 21st, 2004 05:44 PM

Many thanks, Rob. I get it now. :-) And Aaron, yeah this thing is awesome. I've been lifting hand weights to increase my strength for an eight week shoot, and while I know holding anything up gets hard after awhile, this is far lighter than I dared hope. I like the easy twist extension locks, too.

David Mintzer April 29th, 2004 08:53 PM

Congrats on your Gitzo--I like holding mind behind my back, parallel to the floor---(your height might be an issue here) but it reall works when you can use your shoulders to rest the boom on. Anyhow, enjoy your new toy.

Marcia Janine Galles April 30th, 2004 12:15 AM

Thanks for the tip, David. Will try that. I cut a piece of foam to wedge into my hat, to rest it on my head if I need, too, as the day drags on. Nice to have another option. Between those and my Boomate I just might survive. ;-)

Jay Massengill April 30th, 2004 07:59 AM

When you need extra height, make sure you keep your arms straight up with a grip no wider than your shoulders. This is the least fatiguing position when you can't rest it on your shoulders.
It can also be helpful to add a small weight to the very end of the boom to shift the balance point closer to your hands. I sometimes use a collar from a barbell for this. It weighs about 8 extra ounces but greatly decreases the amount of leverage the boom has against you.
Also look for any weight you can shave off the mic end. Use phantom versus internal battery, use the minimum parts for the mic mount, substitute nylon fasteners instead of metal, run any transmitters at your belt instead of at the mic, etc.