DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode NT3, ME64 or Tiny Mike (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/25077-rode-nt3-me64-tiny-mike.html)

Ole Petter Nordahl April 25th, 2004 10:51 AM

Rode NT3, ME64 or Tiny Mike

I own a Panasonic mx500 (similar to DV953) and want to invest in a microphone to mount the camcorder. The camcorder has a stereo mini-jack input with sensibility of -50 dB (0 dB=1 V/Pa, 1 kHz) and no ”plug in power” in the socket. The sound level can be adjusted manually. The camcorder is 9,5 inch / 23 cm long with the wide-angel lens on.

I’m primarily use the camcorder for documentary style filming outdoor (with no sound assistant).

I don’t want a long shotgun (over 10 inch/ 25 cm) because I want the camcorder to be easy to carry with me (small camcorder bag). This rule out shotguns like the Sennheiser ME66 and Azden SGM-1X.

Since I don’t have a XLR connection or a phantom power on the camcorder and don’t want to buy a beachhead (extra money and weight) I need a microphone with an internal battery. This makes the selection of potential microphones quite small.

The Sennheiser MKE300 would work, but I’ve read it has got mixed reviews.

I’ve tried the Sennheiser ME64. This worked fine (the camcorder is very quiet and the camcorder merely picket up any motor noise), but it’s an expensive solution. The microphone didn’t seem to be very directional.

The new Tiny Mike / Mix solution does provide a battery. I believe this microphone is more directional than the ME64, but I really don’t know much about this microphone. (I haven’t seen any specs or user reviews except the review at dv.com.) This is also a pricy solution (about 450$).

The rode NT3 has gotten some decent reviews in this forum and in others. It is cheap but unfortunately heavy. Does any one of you have any experience mounting this microphone on top of a camcorder?

I’m trying to find a cheap and good solution I will be happy with.

Can anyone provide me with some advises?

I’m also going to buy a shock mount and a windshield. What should I buy? I’m really fed up using hours trying to fix crappy sound recordings with various programs.

Ole Petter Nordahl

Tor Salomonsen April 25th, 2004 11:10 AM

Ole Petter,
I have used the Senneheiser MKE300 on both Sony TRV950 (my own) and a Panasonic MX500 with very good results. I don't know what reviews you've seen, but if they're mixed (interesting phrase by the way, a mic getting mixed reviews) at least they're not all bad.

The Sennheiser is certainly lightweight, adequately directional (for its size) and the specs - well you get what you pay for. The battery is a standard LR44 which should be easy to come by most everywhere.

I've no personal experience with windshields - but I'd go for a well known brand if I were you. Whatever, your decisions if you want good sound, get close to the source.

Bryan Beasleigh April 30th, 2004 05:24 PM

I guess no one else has an answer. I did two long replies to your post on DV.com. Did you listen to the clip? Did you read the tiny mic review on DV.com, it's back in the archives.

Quality for the money spent award goes to the NT3. The K6/ME64 is a good mic and smaller and lighter than the NT3. it's also more money and it doesn't sound as nice.

I've never listened the Ambient Tiny Mic. They don't make their own stuff. I think MBHO makes it for them.

My heart and ears say the NT3 but common sense says ME64. I spoke about mounting the mic in detail on the other posts.

It's only an opinion but the MKE300 is a plastic mic with a very poor mount. I did try one and decided against it. For a few bucks more you can get some really nice gear. The NT3 is actually less money and will blow them all away.

the NT3 is do-able with an AT 8415 mount and a flash grip (angle bracket). like I said read the answer at dv.com.

Ole Petter Nordahl May 3rd, 2004 01:33 AM

I have tried the ME64. It worked well.

Now, I have ordered the TinyMike because of its size, weight and thinner pickup pattern.

I will try to steal the power for this mic directly from the hot shoe flash mount. Hope it works fine.