DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Oktava mc012 on gitzo boom ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/25639-oktava-mc012-gitzo-boom.html)

George Zabetas May 6th, 2004 04:26 PM

Oktava mc012 on gitzo boom ?

Just got my gitzo boom pole. How does one connect the clip that came with the MIC to this pole. Do I need more parts? thanks

Bryan Beasleigh May 6th, 2004 08:50 PM

You need a shock mount, the clip that came with the mic is suitable only as a static mic clip. The shock mount will have to isolate the mic from any handling noise and hang onto it so it doesn't go flying off. Taping it onto the boom pole is considered uncool.

Some of the more suitable and inexpensive would be the AT8415 or the PSC.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=256865&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=68143&is=REG

Matt Gettemeier May 6th, 2004 09:00 PM

If you're so inclined you may also want to take a gander at my personal favorite mount for the Oktava. At $109 it's pretty nice.

Click here to see it.

One way or another you better shockmount that mic unless you really like a lot of heartache in audio post.

I hate to add more "bad news" to the mix... but you better get AT LEAST a Windtech screen on that Oktava... better still is a Rycote BBG, but you'll find out soon enough that if you don't have wind protection you'll lose functionality of that mic too.

If you don't shockmount the mic and you don't get some wind protection you'll decide to get it on your own after a couple shoots.

Shockmounts control mechanical thumps, rubs, and any transferrance to the mic. Windscreens are needed when a/c is blowing or any time you move the mic between two people... Almost any time ANY air is moving across a mic you'll hear it... it doesn't matter if air is moving over the mic (a/c or wind) or if the mic is moving through the air (booming more then one speaker).

George Zabetas May 6th, 2004 09:12 PM

Thanks much.
I am also waiting on the Rycote BBG w/ the windjammer from BH, so maybe I should call in this part tomorrow. Will any of these leave the room for that ball (baby ball gag)? That Ktek I have seen mentioned before, but it somehow looks like it would protrude too much. Maybe the picture does not do it justice. I do know this Oktava is sensitive, so is the pricier KTEK quieter? thanks

Matt just noticed your edited reply. Yeah I agree on the BBG. I think you are the one who got me turned on on to this (from DV.com maybe or other posts here). My setup is pretty much from reading your posts.

Matt Gettemeier May 7th, 2004 07:20 AM

George, thanks for the compliment!

I'm glad to be just one of many guys (and gals?) on here that truly want to help others by offering advice any time I can... You'll notice that Beas and I often post to the same questions 'cause we're both nuts for sound!

So far my web site is pathetic, but one of the reasons I started it is so I can post pictures, clips, and audio to support advice that I may give on this forum. For a friend I posted some EARLY clips that I did with just a trv17 and an atr55 shotgun... so if you go snooping around the site you'll have to give me a pass on that stuff. My work is a million times more professional then that now.

Anyway... Click here to see an Oktava in the K-Tek mount with a BBG and Jammer. Notice how it JUST fits... (the mic front is at dead center of the BBG, right where you want it) also that little arm with the orange button on it can be left in any postion... just like on a good stand. You can tighten the mount angle and then move that arm independently so that it holds a cable... or simply move it out of the way.

This mount was made for a Sanken CS-1, but it may as well have been made for the Oktava... for those times you MUST use a mic on-cam you'll appreciate how professional and low profile it is. If you do go with this mic be sure to specify that you want the SOFT mount bands... K-Tek changed the rubber for a softer compound. I have both and the SOFT still holds very well... and isolates more.

In this photo you can also see the hot shoe adapter that you can get from B&H for $9.

I have both Rycote mounts and K-Tek... and I just happen to like the K-Tek more. Whether or not they isolate better is doubtful... the K-Tek just has a clean, minimalist look that compliments the mic and camera... also my Rycote mount in a similar configuration is over $50 higher and an inch or two taller on the cam (not good).

George Zabetas May 7th, 2004 08:25 AM

thanks for the info Matt!
Will probably go with the KTEK also then. Your picture looks good. It looked enormous in that other photo. I kept thinking it would weigh my pole down like I am cathcing a big fish or something, when its actually quite small.
thanks again for your research.