DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Question for SPOT/ RE: Sound Forge Training (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/26374-question-spot-re-sound-forge-training.html)

Glen Elliott May 22nd, 2004 08:18 AM

Question for SPOT/ RE: Sound Forge Training

I see on your VASST site you have two different training DVD sets for Soundforge. What, exactly, is the difference between the two? Thanks.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 22nd, 2004 08:24 AM

Glenn,
Not sure what you might be looking at for the second one, there is only one Sound Forge DVD, and one Sound Forge book.
DVD is nearly 6 hours of training, book is about 240 pages of graphic information. (our books are heavily screenshot oriented)
HTH

Glen Elliott May 22nd, 2004 08:47 AM

I'm sorry I know what I screwed up- I thought "Sound Forge: Professional Power Tools for Editing Audio" and "Now Hear This! were both Sound Forge oriented training. I didn't realize "Now Hear This!" was more of an overall audio workflow training rather than specific program training. *sorry for the goof*

I do have a question about Sound Forge, however. Thus so far I usually do all my audio editing in Vegas. From my limited experience I noticed small changes like the abliity to normalize to a certain defined decible range, etc. Considering my videography is usually Event Videography (weddings, formal events, etc) can Sound Forge be an asset to me and I just don't know it yet due to unfamiliarity with the program.

Lastly does "Sound Forge: Professional Power Tools for Editing Audio" cover audio editing for DV production primarily or for audio creation for musicians? Thanks in advance.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 22nd, 2004 08:52 AM

The Sound Forge DVD (and the book) cover a LOT of ground on how to edit audio for video. There are several sections dedicated to just that, but....
Audio for video and audio for musicians are essentially the same thing. The only difference at the editing level is that musicians have more information to deal with in most situations. Dialog is no where near as difficult to edit in most projects than music is, simply because there are more obvious cut points, no sustain, etc.
Anyway, Jeffrey covers both areas VERY thoroughly. I'm on a dial up at the moment, so can't look at the stream, but I thought the stream on the site was video-related?
We're also showing Forge for video on the Sony Software Media Showcase tour, www.vasst.com/training_tours.htm if you'd like to see a short demo of how it all works for vid. (it's free)
Perhaps we're coming to your city?

Glen Elliott May 22nd, 2004 09:24 AM

Doug, just checked out the streaming preview and it is about an acoustic music peice- but if it covers a great deal I'll order it today. I'm thinking about ordering one of them today as a matter of fact, either Now hear...or Sound forge 7- but after reading the break down of Now Hear This! I'm torn!! *Any suggestions?* I also want to order the Vegas DVD (how long will the special price last?).

VASST for Vegas is coming to NYC which is about 2 hours from here (south Jersey) which I was originally planning on attending but I won't be able to pick up the glidecam forearmbrace I've been needing and the CraneCam camera crane I've been drooling over! *Doh!* Man this is an expensive addiction- thank God for Wedding Videography funding it.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 22nd, 2004 10:15 AM

Now Hear This! won't be shipping for a while, the editing is taking longer than anticipated, and the expansion of the VASST tour hadn't helped. Forge is shipping on May 25 as expected, or so the replicator and fulfillment house tell us.
Sorry we'll miss you. Will be a packed 2 days of training....and showcasing of Sony software. The Sony event is in the Sony building downtown, so it's pretty special and cool.