DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Boy those accessories add up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/26738-boy-those-accessories-add-up.html)

Dan Melius May 29th, 2004 09:41 AM

Boy those accessories add up

I just ordered all the accesories for the VX2100 camera and they almost came to the price of the VX2100. I'm lucky that I am not married and have a good bit of spending cash with no one to complain to me about my spending habits. It looks like I might have to sell off some of my collectables on ebay to recoup some of the cost.

Question to Bryan:

Once the 2100 audio mod is complete what is the best cables to hook up between the mix pre and line in of the camera? Can you point me to a place with good 6 feet cables? Do the extremely expensive Monster cables make a difference?

1 RYMWRNT4 60.00 60.00
Mini Windjammer - for Rode NT4 Microphone

1 BO30463433 331.95 331.95
3046 Tripod Legs (Chrome) with 3433 (501) Pro Video Fluid Head - Supports 13.20 lb

1 GEGSVVX2D 29.95 29.95
DVD: Sony VX2000 Training DVD

1 SOBCV615 38.95 38.95
BC-V615 Portable AC Charger - for L Series Lithium-Ion Batteries

1 SONPF750 74.95 74.95
NP-F750, L-Series, Info-Lithium, Battery Pack (7.2v, 3000mAh)

1 RECAX5QN25 42.00 42.00
XLR 5-Pin Male to XLR 5-Pin Female 25 ft. Stereo Microphone Extension Cable for XY and Mid Side Mics with a 5 Pin Output Configuration

1 RONT4 374.95 374.95
NT4 - Cardioid Studio Condenser Stereo X/Y Microphone

1 SOMIXPRE 665.00 665.00
Mixpre - Portable 2 Channel Microphone Field Mixer

1 SODVM12CLE 12.99 12.99
DVM-12CLE Mini DV Head Cleaning Cassette

1 GBUV58 11.25 11.25
58mm Haze UV-1 Glass Filters

50 SODVM60PR 3.49 174.50
DVM-60PR 60 Minutes Premium Mini DV Video Cassette

1 POV9D 34.95 34.95
V-9D AC DC Mini DV 2 Way Tape Rewinder

Mike Rehmus May 29th, 2004 10:02 AM

The hype surrounding Monster cable is made up entirely in their marketing department. The cables are way way overpriced. Yes they are OK but not that good unless you are comparing them to a Radio Shack cable with 40% shielding.

Cables from Shure, custom cables from a number of sources including Markertek are just as good if not better and you can afford to order a spare for every custom cable you need.

BTW, I'm guessing that a sub-$12 UV filter isn't going to match the quality of the camera.

Bryan Beasleigh May 29th, 2004 10:34 AM

Re: Boy those accessories add up

The person that should be answering this is Greg . Greg has a forum setup for answers to any questions that may arise.

http://www.dvfreelancer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345#345

Do we know if he's modding VX2100's yet?

<<<--Once the 2100 audio mod is complete what is the best cables to hook up between the mix pre and line in of the camera? Can you point me to a place with good 6 feet cables? Do the extremely expensive Monster cables make a difference?-->>

I just made my own from Radio Shack molded right angled RCA cables. I cut them in half and soldered XLR's ontpo the leads. mi think Hosa make a set. This is a line level input so it's relatively imune to interference

Mike is right about this one, Monster cable is hype

<<<--1 GEGSVVX2D 29.95 29.95
DVD: Sony VX2000 Training DVD-->>>

There are alot of sites that'll give you a decent amount of info. I personally wouldn't bother.

<<<--1 SOBCV615 38.95 38.95
BC-V615 Portable AC Charger - for L Series Lithium-Ion Batteries -->>>
Use the camera to recharge, I do.

<<<-- 1 SONPF750 74.95 74.95
NP-F750, L-Series, Info-Lithium, Battery Pack (7.2v, 3000mAh) -->>.
This ok but the 950 is better

<<<---1 GBUV58 11.25 11.25
58mm Haze UV-1 Glass Filters-->>>
Mike is right on again. Buy better than this.

<<<---1 POV9D 34.95 34.95
V-9D AC DC Mini DV 2 Way Tape Rewinder --->>>
I question the validity of this onme right now

Dan Melius May 29th, 2004 05:38 PM

"BTW, I'm guessing that a sub-$12 UV filter isn't going to match the quality of the camera."

I will be filming indoors mostly. However, I got the UV filter mainly as a protection against the lense getting stratched. I have used the exact same lense on my Sony DSCF707 Cybershot 5 megapixal camera for the last two or three years. I am quite good now at using all the manual controls on that camera and am looking foward to once and full all being able to give my very old DCR-TRV310 so called "Digital" well "Digital 8" camera to my parents. There's not even a manual way to control the white balance on that camera and if the hissing is as bad on the VX2100 as it is on the TRV310 I am very glad I am getting the mod done on it right away. I don't believe I have ever taken the UV filter off my 707 cybershot and the 5 megapixle shots seem very detailed.

What I am curious to find out is if the 58 mm tele photo lense and the wide angle lense of which I do not own will be able to be used back and forth between both the 58 mm thread on the Cybershot and the the VX2100 thread. If so I may have to order them both in the near future.

The UV filter is the only one listed at B & H Photo for their recommended accessories. Do they make more expensive UV filters or even lens caps for the VX2100.

Bryan,

I do have the mod sceduled with Greg for the VX2100 and so I must assume that he is doing the mod now to the VX2100.

Dan Melius May 29th, 2004 05:55 PM

Voiding the warranty is not that big of deal to me as I do it all the time on stuff. In all my years I have never once had anything go wrong with anything in the first year. In fact I voided the warranty on my new ReplayTV recorder the first day I had it by taking it apart and putting two 250 gig hard drives in it as opposed to the 40 gig hard drive that it came with.

Thanks Mike and Bryan for the places to go for cables. I will be checking them out soon.

Just out of curiosity Bryan, Are you using two separate cables examp 1 RCA to One XLR or are you using the common TV dual side by side single RCA cable that have both left and right together. I am thinking that it might be best to go with two unattached RCA to XLR cables that have heavy shielding just to be on the safe side.

Dan Melius May 29th, 2004 06:06 PM

markertek looks like they have some good shielded 6 foot cable for 14.95 each:

XLR Male to RCA Male Audio Cables

World's Finest Cables! Exclusive TecNec SC Audio Cables are designed for use with microphones but are also excellent for line-level signals (i.e. mixer to power amps). Special 4 conductor configuration plus high shield density reduce hum and noise to less than 10% of conventional 2-conductor mic cables. Special construction also reduces handling noise while maintaining excellent flexibility. High density braided shield blocks electrostatic noise to eliminate annoying hum, buzz and radio interference. 4-conductor design cancels electro-magnetically induced noise from SCR dimmers and fluorescent lights. Excellent frequency response is preserved due to low capacitance provided by dielectric qualities of Polyethylene insulation. Handling noise is prevented by use of cotton filter material. Super flexibility results from using large numbers of thin wire strands, plus PVC jacket that remains pliant at extremely low temperatures (brittle point is -56 deg F); no wall between cold shipping and installation.

10 COLORS! Large color selection aids in cable identification and decor coordination. Available colors: Black, Brown, Grey, Green, Orange, Purple, Red, Yellow & White. Be sure you specify your cable choice if you would like a color other than Black.

Glenn Chan May 29th, 2004 06:21 PM

http://www.bbctraining.co.uk/onlineCourses.asp
BBC Online Training has articles on how to use the VX2000.

Mike Rehmus May 29th, 2004 06:29 PM

Yes there are better UV filters available. I use B+W brand as I know them to be good mechanically and optically.

At $12, I cannot imagine that it has a multi-coating to reduce reflections and increase contrast (as opposed to a piece of glass that doesn't have the coating. Frequently the lower cost UV filters aren't made from colorless glass.

You will be removing the UV filter if you use auxiliary lenses on the 2100. You will have problems if you do not.

What B&H offer may be the bargain of the century but in optics, you usually get what you pay for.

The lens cap is built into the lens hood on the 2100.

Christopher C. Murphy May 29th, 2004 06:42 PM

The Monster cables are kinda cool because they're covered for life from breaking. So, you can bring it into any place that sells Monster cables and get a new one.

That's what I've been told anyway. (let's hope they stay in business)

Murph

Bryan Beasleigh May 29th, 2004 08:06 PM

I like the right angled RCA's. The shielding is good enough. this is line level, not mic level.

I agree with mike. I use a thin Hoya multi coated UV (12 coatings) on my Optex bayonet mounted wide angle. it never come off. I use a matte box for filters.

Mike Rehmus May 29th, 2004 09:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : The Monster cables are kinda cool because they're covered for life from breaking. So, you can bring it into any place that sells Monster cables and get a new one.

That's what I've been told anyway. (let's hope they stay in business)

Murph -->>>

I should hope they'd give you a new one! A 20 foot XLR cable is around $130 at discount! I can buy high-quality XLR cables made with Canare components for 1/4 that price.

I find the Monster cables too large for some applications; especially their S-Video cables. Stiff too.

Sorry for my sour outlook at these people. They lie to people about why they need their cables. Skin-effect indeed. Microwaves have skin-effects that have to be considered. Audio cables never.

Richard Maloney May 29th, 2004 09:56 PM

I asked Greg to make me a set of cables, (right angle RCA). From the mike I use 15" cable with right angle xlr to split xlrs in. Of course the split is unneccesary but handy.

Dan Melius May 30th, 2004 09:13 AM

Well I was able to change my order before it shipped to get a multicoated UV haze filter.

The one I ended up getting was:

B+W 58mm UV Haze 010 (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating Glass Filter for 33.50 that had a list price of 70.00. They had more expensive one's but they were for wide angle lenses of which I will not be getting soon. I just wanted a lense to protect my good lense from getting scratched and dust and dirt protection. Most of my filming will be in door stuff.

Wayne Orr May 30th, 2004 10:44 AM

Dan, I hope you will write a diary of your experiences with this project, as it almost certainly will be of value to others. Be sure to total up all your purchases, as you are finding out rather quickly that the camera purchase is only the beginning of your outlay.

And, of course, we look forward to reading about your experiences shooting the group in performance. You are embarking on quite an ambitious undertaking. I wish you well.

Wayne Orr, SOC

Bryan Beasleigh May 30th, 2004 01:19 PM

The value of the audio modification as well as the required equipment have been well documented and discussed. Most people have dismissed it as heresy or not worth the bother. Those that have listened to the before and after can hear the difference and some can see the value.

That said, yes it would be of great value if Dan could craft an article on how he made his decisions and for what reason.

Dan Melius May 30th, 2004 06:10 PM

thanks Bryan for all the help and I hope all my decisions will turn out for the best in the long run.

One more quick point that is off topic but since you seem to be all knowing on Sony cameras and I am going to need to protect my investment -- Any recommendation for a VX series camera bag.

I was looking through the camera catalog BH sent me and the Lowepro Commercial AW DV bag looked like it would hold a bunch of room for asseccories for 188.95.

Of course you might know of a good hard case for it that is not over priced like the Sony model and so I thought I would bug you one more time. BH is out of stock on the Sony hard case so it must be a big seller. It does look like it would hold a great deal of equipment. Of course I am not sure I want to advertise to everyone on trips that I am carrying around an expensive Sony Camera since their logo in on the outside.

Bryan Beasleigh May 30th, 2004 08:58 PM

PortaBrace, Petrol and Kata all make excellent cases. They aren't cheap but they're extremely functional. I use a portabrace CS-DV3. The DV4 wasn't out at that time and it looks to be a nice case.
http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=CS

Aside from being very functional and made for the camera it provides pretty good shielding for bumps and thumps.

The petrol PCUB or PCCB look to be of the same quality.

http://www.petrolbags.com/cgibin/store/ptlstore.cgi

Neither bag looks like a camera bag. They look to be a very well made carry on.

They aren't cheap but they're lightyears ahead of the competition. JMHO.
Beas

Dave Largent May 31st, 2004 12:34 AM

Bryan, any vignetting with that Hoya on the Optex?
What do they call their thin filters?

Bryan Beasleigh May 31st, 2004 01:00 AM

There is no vignetting even on my production monitor looking at underscan. The glass is 1mm thick and the ring 3mm.
it's a super HMC Pro1. It has 12 coatings, 6 on each surface.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=168217&is=REG

http://www.2filter.com/prices/specials.html

It's $103 at B&H and Filter connection.
The filter connection has 20% off and free shipping. That works out to $83 including shipping