DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need help making an audio equipment decision (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/27677-need-help-making-audio-equipment-decision.html)

John Lee June 16th, 2004 07:23 PM

Need help making an audio equipment decision

I'm trying to decide between buying a Sennheiser G2 ENG or Sony UWP-C1 and a Beachtek DXA-4P.

The Beachtek and the Sony system cost about the same as the G2 ENG. Although BH just spontaneously ended their $100 gift card offer for the Sony as I was writing this....much to my dismay.

So my question is, if you had to decide, what would you get? Would you hold out for the G2 100 ENG (with that nice XLR plugin wireless transmitter) or buy a beachtek and the sony system?

Thanks for your advice...

Sorry, I just realized this should probably be posted in the "now hear this forum" although I am purchasing this equipment for the GL2.

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 17th, 2004 04:05 AM

For my bang, I'd go with the Sony/Beachtek, only because I know those tools pretty well. The G2, I know nothing first-hand about...
The Beachtek is tops in it's price range/category, and the Sony is quite nice too. On the other side of that, I'm loving the Audio Technica U100 series with the 899 mic, too. That's what we're touring with right now, and showing on this VASST tour event. Tough little SOB, it's impressive the abuse this thing can take. Has a Bauer mount available as well.

Michael Wisniewski June 17th, 2004 05:07 PM

John, if you decide to go the Sony/Beachtek route, I'm selling my Beachtek DXA-4P.

John Lee June 17th, 2004 11:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up Michael, but if I go sony, I'm gonna use the gift certificate to buy the beachtek.

Oleg Kaizerman June 18th, 2004 05:32 AM

its quet idiotic to buy adaptor without phantom power , if you will deside to place powered mike on your camera you would need another box
dxc-6 or 8 is much better option
for what kind of wierless to choos, both of them are sucks

Paul Bravmann June 19th, 2004 02:20 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : On the other side of that, I'm loving the Audio Technica U100 series with the 899 mic, too. That's what we're touring with right now, and showing on this VASST tour event. Tough little SOB, it's impressive the abuse this thing can take. Has a Bauer mount available as well. -->>>

sounds like a great setup. i've got the wired 899, but want to go wireless. is there anyway i can make it work with u100 components? if so, what kind of adaptor, and what additional equipment would i need?

thanks,
phb

Bobby Abernathy June 19th, 2004 09:59 PM

Just my thoughts, I'm in the same boat, trying to decide on a wireless setup. I was really sold on the G2 system, the XLR transmitter is a great addition to the ENG kit. I found the system to be about $550 or so whenever they start shipping.

But now I figure, if I'm going to spend at least $500 on a single wireless setup, I want a true diversity system. Not that the G2 would give me drop outs at any of my gigs, but the potential is there, at least more than a true diversity system. I really just want to get a good sound that's reliable, so I'm really leaning towards an AT system. An AT XLR transmitter seems to be a couple/few hundred bucks unfortunately, but I could live without it for a little while. I'm shooting on a GL2, so a Beachtek adaptor would be really nice, but that's gonna have to wait a while, too. It certainly takes money to make money...

Bryan Beasleigh June 19th, 2004 10:09 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Oleg Kaizerman : its quet idiotic to buy adaptor without phantom power , if you will deside to place powered mike on your camera you would need another box
dxc-6 or 8 is much better option -->>>

I agree. If you can afford the DXA-8 buy one now, you will wish you'd have done so later. http://www.dvfreelancer.com/articles/beachtekDXA-8.html

John Britt December 14th, 2004 10:01 PM

Instead of starting a new thread, may I piggyback on this one...

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Bravmann :

sounds like a great setup. i've got the wired 899, but want to go wireless. is there anyway i can make it work with u100 components? if so, what kind of adaptor, and what additional equipment would i need?
-->>>

I am considering finally getting the AT 899 lav and have a similar question. I would like to be able to go wireless in the future, but AT offers two different versions of the 899 -- one terminated for wired sound, another for wireless.

If I buy the wired 899 now, will I be able to go wireless in the future? If so, how difficult will it be? Will I have to go with the u100, or can I make it work with another wireless setup?