DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sony ECM 55 Lavalier Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/28380-sony-ecm-55-lavalier-mic.html)

Cris Linscott July 2nd, 2004 09:47 AM

Sony ECM 55 Lavalier Mic

Hi - I recently got hold of one of these mics not boxed, no instructions & no connector.

I'm familiar with audio recording and use a range of studio quality mics with & without phantom power (its Dv that I'm new too - thanks to this forum I've taken my first steps.. nothing fancy as yet).

Back to the question. I know that the Sony needs power and I've seen reference to a battery pack for it but can I simply wire an XLR to it and run it from the desk or my Di box (which has 48v Phantom Power) or will this fry it?

Here's hoping its that simple

Jacques Mersereau July 2nd, 2004 12:19 PM

The Sony ECM-55b we have has a amplifier body which takes a single AA battery.

If yours does not have this, I would then assume it will be okay to send
it 48v phantom.

Cris Linscott July 2nd, 2004 02:01 PM

Thanks Jacques - I'll be getting on with the soldering then.......

Jay Massengill July 2nd, 2004 02:40 PM

The regular power supply for this mic contains other electronics, I wouldn't connect it directly to 48v power. I'd consult with someone from Lectrosonics. They could tell you how to properly wire the mic capsule directly to a low-powered supply like a transmitter input. They could also point you in the right direction for info on a full-powered adapter.

Jacques Mersereau July 3rd, 2004 09:52 AM

Yeah, I guess I whiffed here. What I should have said, if your ECM55b
does NOT have the amplifier body THAT TAKES A BATTERY, but DOES
still HAVE an amplifier body non the less, THEN its okay to hook up phantom.

I didn't realize that your mic went to a bare (cut) wire.

Have I got this picture right? Does your mic have any kind of connector?

Cris Linscott July 3rd, 2004 10:56 AM

Jacques/Jay - I should have been more specific - I've done some more research following Jay's posting - The model is, in fact, a 55BPT - its unused and has approx 3 metres of cable leading from the capsule terminating in three tinned cut wires (one of which is sheathed red, the other thicker braided and the final a fine wire) - appreciate your help with this - normally I'd contact the manufacturers support section but Sony Professional products here in UK seemed to be hidden from all... finally tracked down to www.sonybiz.net but silence from that quarter - What do you think?

Ken Tanaka July 3rd, 2004 11:36 AM

Cris,
Sorry to get to this a tad late. I have two Sony ECM-55B's. I am sure I can scan the brochure and email it to you if you believe it would be helpful. Just let me know.

Cris Linscott July 3rd, 2004 12:54 PM

Ken - thank you - that'd be real helpful - my first time with lavalier mics so everything helps!

Jacques Mersereau July 3rd, 2004 04:57 PM

The two ECM-55b that we have both have amp bodies that take a single
AA battery.

Ken?

Ken Tanaka July 4th, 2004 03:40 PM

Yes, the 55B's have an inline module that takes one AA battery as a power source. However, I am not sure of its other functions. I've never tried to use the mics without this module.

Will dig-up the brochure asap. (Holiday doin's here right now.)

Ken Tanaka July 5th, 2004 11:04 PM

I haven't forgotten you, Cris.

Just had a rather busy holiday weekend. Will dig up the brochure Tuesday.

Cris Linscott July 6th, 2004 02:31 AM

Ken - thanks, in your own time, hope it was a good holiday weekend - have had a reply from Sony.... ".. please contact your dealer for this information". Boy, wished I'd thought of that!

Ken Tanaka July 6th, 2004 09:43 AM

Check your email, Cris. I sent it to you this morning.

Cris Linscott July 7th, 2004 03:38 AM

Ken - thanks very much for the brochure - I've been able to use it with a UK company who confirm that 55BPT relates to "pigtail" ie bare wiring, and that a Sony DC78 power supply is required (as others on the forum have noted). A Hirose type connector is used on the bare wires to connect to the power supply the output to the desk is then on an XLR. The 55BPT option is for those who already have such a supply. Thanks for the help and observations