DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Please give me some mic help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/28616-please-give-me-some-mic-help.html)

Steven Davis July 8th, 2004 06:23 AM

Please don't beat me for posting another mic question

Well, it seems picking a good mic system is harder than picking the camera itself. I will mainly be using my stuff for weddings and such and was originally looking at the AT835b, but then thought that if I added a few more dollars, I could get both an AT wireless system and the azden shotgun and have one in one channel of the GL2 and one in the other. Anyone care to give me some constructive critizism on this. I know I'd be skimping on both quality, but It seems like it would give me the best of both worlds w/o spending 700 bucks for quality in both.

Jacques Mersereau July 8th, 2004 07:23 AM

I would avoid the Azden shotgun. So far I've yet to read about a single
happy customer. Their wireless are okay IF you get at least the 500U.

I would get the 835b. Remember, two crummy mics don't equal one
good mic. There are lots of threads here dealing with inexpensive wireless
that provide good results.

Steven Davis July 8th, 2004 07:33 AM

I was just concerned about not reaching the bride and groom enough, I'm new to shotguns, so I'm worried out of ignorance I suppose.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 8th, 2004 07:42 AM

835b vs SGM1...hmmm....Subaru or bicycle?

Oleg Kaizerman July 8th, 2004 07:59 AM

4073 thats subaru (and if we are talking impressa turbo wr x280 hp-thats the closest fun that i had to 911 or brutal dodge viper, thats one step befor the orgasma)

835thats something between the lada (russian fiat)and dacha (romanian shit that looks like reno shit)

Oleg -driving lancia tama turbo and recording with what ever :-)

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 8th, 2004 08:04 AM

Nah..I'd put the 4073 as a mercedes. Still isn't a Maserati, I'll reserve that for much of the Schoeps line. :-)

Oleg Kaizerman July 8th, 2004 08:34 AM

416 is mersedes -the sanken is the italian , sound good , driving fast ,take corners and going to garage
4073 is kind of toyota , nothing bad , never stops ,nothing exiting (the lecsus is not exiting )

Oleg Kaizerman July 8th, 2004 08:37 AM

the schoeps is bmw -presis ,presis ,midle age lot of money ,yang cheek , back to work , more money ,yanger cheek ,jail .....:-)

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 8th, 2004 08:40 AM

thanks for setting me straight. I've never been good with cars. I'll make a chart for next time. ;-)

Steven Davis July 8th, 2004 09:53 AM

So I should just scrap my idea for an inexpensive shotgun and lav mic and go for the gusto with my original AT 835? I was just trying to maximize my dollars.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 8th, 2004 09:59 AM

I surely would. Forgive us for confusing the issue with 'garage talk'. :-)

Jacques Mersereau July 8th, 2004 10:19 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Davis : I was just concerned about not reaching the bride and groom enough, I'm new to shotguns, so I'm worried out of ignorance I suppose. -->>>

No, you're worries are 100% justified. Audio is VERY, VERY important.
During one wedding video we did for a family member,
NO ONE in the church (other than the Bride, Groom and Priest)
heard the wedding vows. On our video their whispers were
clear as a bell. That alone made the video a big hit. Picking up the subtle
nuances of their emotional voices brought power to the video images.

Shotguns are usually my back up. A good lav mic will be my first
choice. I'll only punt to the shotgun if there's a problem with the lav
such as rustling or signal overload. That, or if the shotgun picks up something
else that happened in the room that the lav missed.

Oleg Kaizerman July 8th, 2004 10:26 AM

for the toppic again , buy the wierless and octave mc-12 with hipper cardiod capsul , good shock mount and wind screan , but you need beach tec adaptor or some other sourse for phantom power , i dont know if you can deal separate with the volium of both tracs in that camera so the besachtec (dxc-6) is good choice
any way for normal setup 700 is low think about 1000 for something normal .