DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   New to audio. Need some advice. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/28724-new-audio-need-some-advice.html)

Jake Sawyer July 9th, 2004 11:08 PM

New to audio. Need some advice.

Hi, well I've decided I'm going to be picking up a Canon GL2 to use to shoot my short films, weddings, documentry's and everything else. I know audio is so important, that I would be a mad man to skimp on it. Now, I need some advice. Firstly, I know I have to get a XLR adapter. I'm looking at the Beachtek DXA-6 or the Canon MA300 or the SIGNVIDEO XLRPRO. Which one would you suggest getting for the GL2? And which one is overall the best in quality, sound etc?

Now, I need some advice on microphones. I'm a newbie to this so bare with me. I'm mainly going to use this camera for my shorts, wildlife shooting, weddings and possibly documentrys. My budget for audio is about $400. So, really only around $200 if you add in the XLR adapter. What should I get? What would be the best microphone for my situation? I'm going to be a one man crew for right now, but I want the best possible microphone for the money I can spend. Please explain to me the different microphones and what there advantages and disadvantages are. Eventually, I hope to get a sound man, but for right now I'm going to have to do everything. Would a microphone mounted on the camera be my best bet? Please give me some advice. Thanks.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 10th, 2004 08:18 AM

Of those three options, Beachtek is my choice. Unfortunately, for your 200.00, you won't buy much in a mic. You might look around for a used AT. of course, you can look at some of the Oktavas that many here really like, and I think their base cost is around 200.00 or so. I'm not a user of the Oktava mics, so only can comment on what I've read.

Jake Sawyer July 10th, 2004 10:38 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : Of those three options, Beachtek is my choice. Unfortunately, for your 200.00, you won't buy much in a mic. You might look around for a used AT. of course, you can look at some of the Oktavas that many here really like, and I think their base cost is around 200.00 or so. I'm not a user of the Oktava mics, so only can comment on what I've read. -->>>

Thanks for the feedback. What AT's would you suggest? I'm looking at the AT4073 microphone are maybe the AT815B because it's cheaper. Do you know what the difference between the two is? Also, on the Oktavas it talks about capsules etc. What is all that stuff, if you don't mind explaining it to me. Thanks.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 10th, 2004 10:48 AM

With the Oktavas, copying BK mics, capsules are different polar patterns that can be attached to the microphone body. So, you can have uni, omni, hyper, etc on one stack. As I said, i've never worked with them. My opinion has always been they are copies of the BK mics, and I already have BK's.

I love the 4073. Great mic for a shortie. The 815 is wonderful for long reaches, but it's a little long for many uses. Have you considered the 897? (My current fave mid level shotgun)

Jake Sawyer July 10th, 2004 10:57 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : With the Oktavas, copying BK mics, capsules are different polar patterns that can be attached to the microphone body. So, you can have uni, omni, hyper, etc on one stack. As I said, i've never worked with them. My opinion has always been they are copies of the BK mics, and I already have BK's.

I love the 4073. Great mic for a shortie. The 815 is wonderful for long reaches, but it's a little long for many uses. Have you considered the 897? (My current fave mid level shotgun) -->>>

Thanks for explaining it to me. I could probaly afford the 897. Would you recommend it for my uses? Right now I'm thinking of sticking with AT since they seem to be overall a good brand. Is there any other mic I need to consider?

Jacques Mersereau July 12th, 2004 02:43 PM

<<<Is there any other mic I need to consider?>>>

Only if you want to pony up some serious dough.

The 897's competition:

Sennheiser MKH-416: $1140(?)
Sennheiser MKH-60: $1440
Neumann KMR-821: $1550
Schoeps MK41: $1400

Go here for the gory details . . . slurp!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=Ay3wlg7Tza!-1496934458?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=Shotgun+mic&image. x=6&image.y=10