DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   wireless mic interference (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/28968-wireless-mic-interference.html)

Emily Rumsey July 14th, 2004 03:17 PM

wireless mic interference

I have a sennheiser wireless mic system, but have not used it at weddings. I'm hoping to use it during the next wedding that I shoot, but I'm wondering if there is a chance that my wireless system could interfere with the wireless mics that the church uses?

Don Bloom July 14th, 2004 03:51 PM

There's always a chance but thats why you do an audio check prior to the event. Have the churches system turned on and check to see if there is any interference.

It has been my experience though that many churches use a VHF system so that would end the chance of interference but it's always best to double check with a sound test.

Don B

Emily Rumsey July 14th, 2004 05:10 PM

when you do your sound check do you have someone wearing the lav, or would you hear the interference regardless of voice?

Rob Wilson July 14th, 2004 06:29 PM

Emily,

I'd recommend mic'ing the folks you will be for the ceremony during the reception and checking then. That accomplishes you sound check AND makes them aware of what you'll be doing the day of with respect to cliping on mic's and transmitters.

Don Bloom July 14th, 2004 07:40 PM

In my neck of the woods the reception is AFTER the ceremony (unless you mean the rehearsal-in which case it still might not work as most rehearsals no one is there to turn the PA system on) so I think the thing to do is turn your wireless on and get someone to turn on the churchs system, go to the altar area and talk into the mic (have your camera with you and preferrably use headphones) and listen for any interference. Many times you'll hear it in the PA system anyway but sometimes you don't.
Don B

Rob Wilson July 15th, 2004 10:35 AM

Don, YOU ARE RIGHT! My bad, I should have send rehersal. I always try to replicate the actual shooting scenario as closely as possible. This includes asking that the REHERSAL be scheduled for the same time of day as the actual wedding so I can also check for lighting issues. Giving the facility a heads up that you'll need thier sound system on also lets you test for an alternate source by plugging into their system.

Don Bloom July 15th, 2004 11:40 AM

Yeah I kinda figured thats what you meant, sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain and man, things get ugly then. :-)

In my area the rehearsal are generally either a Thursday or Friday evening so doing a "dress" rehearsal for lighting doesn't work at all, but luckily I shoot most of my jobs in the same churches so I'm really familiar with the lighting and sound systems. That really makes life a little easier.

Don B.