DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What is the best audio equipment out there? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/29257-what-best-audio-equipment-out-there.html)

Justin Sammarco July 19th, 2004 09:15 AM

What is the best audio equipment out there?

If money wasn't an object what would be the best recording equipment for all types of films...

hope that isn't too vague....

EDIT: Let me elaborate....booms to camera or DATs, post equipment that will best fit what I need.

thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 19th, 2004 09:23 AM

Go buy a Thomson Viper cam, uncompressed HD
Recording deck...that's pretty open to debate. Nagra HD is pretty common.
Mic...open to a lot of debate
Booms, open to debate
There are standard devices/products used, and then there are those that people like. Sometimes, they're even one and the same.
In fact, overall, this indeed is a "too vague" question. I mean, is this an exercise in wishful thinking, or do you really have a couple million to spend?

Justin Sammarco July 19th, 2004 09:31 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : Go buy a Thomson Viper cam, uncompressed HD
Recording deck...that's pretty open to debate. Nagra HD is pretty common.
Mic...open to a lot of debate
Booms, open to debate
There are standard devices/products used, and then there are those that people like. Sometimes, they're even one and the same.
In fact, overall, this indeed is a "too vague" question. I mean, is this an exercise in wishful thinking, or do you really have a couple million to spend? -->>>

alright, I'll let you know what I am doing. I want to get the best audio for the films I am shooting in the next couple of months. I currently use the AT 815b(I believe it is) and its "good" but not great. It doesn't pick up low freq. in the direction it is pointed. I would like to learn more about audio as much as I can.

If you can, I'd like to know what the best quality booms I can get, using the VX2000 and/or XL1. Also what to do in post to get the "fuzz" sound out. I get a minor "hiss or fuzz" sound when recording. I'm using standard Adobe Premier 6.0 as for now...we haven't hook up our Avid express pro at this point that we recently got.

So bascially our audio doesn't keep up with our image and its bringing it down. So I suppose what I'm looking for is again, the best boom we can get that works best with those cameras that I listed (VX2000/XL1) and the best post audio equipment that we'll need.

BTW our budget for audio is about 4k

thanks guys

Bryan Beasleigh July 19th, 2004 11:26 AM

That makes it easier.
For the very best in audio send your camera to Greg Winter and have him modify it. It will be DAT quality. The mod bypasses the Sony preamps and inputs the audio directly into the analog to digital converter. Cost $200 per camera plus shipping.

VX2000 mod

You will need a preamp, I use a Sound devices302 or a mix pre. The 302 is the better of the two but the most expensive. The Mix Pre is $700.

MixPre

For dialog use a Schoeps MK41, Sennheiser MKH50 ($1350 - 1150). Outdoors use a Sennheiser MKH60, MKH416 or a Sanken CS-3e ($1000-1450) A good all around mic would also be a Sanken CS-1.
Do some searches on the various mics. Email me at bbeasleighatrogersdotcom and i'll email you some clips. here are some clips that are up already.

Bryan's clips

Be sure to visit Matt Gettemeier's collection as well.

Justin Sammarco July 19th, 2004 12:39 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : That makes it easier.
For the very best in audio send your camera to Greg Winter and have him modify it. It will be DAT quality. The mod bypasses the Sony preamps and inputs the audio directly into the analog to digital converter. Cost $200 per camera plus shipping.

VX2000 mod

You will need a preamp, I use a Sound devices302 or a mix pre. The 302 is the better of the two but the most expensive. The Mix Pre is $700.

MixPre

For dialog use a Schoeps MK41, Sennheiser MKH50 ($1350 - 1150). Outdoors use a Sennheiser MKH60, MKH416 or a Sanken CS-3e ($1000-1450) A good all around mic would also be a Sanken CS-1.
Do some searches on the various mics. Email me at bbeasleighatrogersdotcom and i'll email you some clips. here are some clips that are up already.

Bryan's clips

Be sure to visit Matt Gettemeier's collection as well. -->>>

well thanks very much :)