DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   I have to get rid of my ME66! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/29260-i-have-get-rid-my-me66.html)

Patrick King July 25th, 2004 11:28 AM

Matt,

I'm getting the idea from this thread and a few others that you love your At4073a mic. Wish I could afford it. But since I can't, what mic in the ME66 price range would you recommend?

Matt Gettemeier July 25th, 2004 03:03 PM

If you can afford an me66 at it's current price... which is $450 from B&H... then the 4073a is only $80 more. $530 at B&H... click "add to cart" and you'll see.

If you are absolutely maxing it out to get the me66 at $450, then I'd try to get a comparison of the me66 and At897... unfortunately I haven't heard that mic yet... so I can't offer a real-world opinion on it. That mic does include the option of running battery/phantom and pretty much everybody believes AT was gunning for the me66 when they released the 897. If you want to spend less get an 835b.

And my final recommendation is... if you like the me66 get that. In a complex mix of music and sound effects the me66 should cut through with a clear voice... I just think that other options should be considered and I've been trying to offer an objective sampling of what mics really sound like.

I bought an me66 myself and used it for over a year... I don't want to create any feelings of hostility over it, but you can hear it for yourself and choose what you like best.

BTW I no longer OWN a 4073a... I sold it this past winter and I only recently bought an mkh416. There is NOBODY who wants a 416 to beat out a 4073a more then I do. The 4073a in those tests is owned by a woman that I occasionally shoot for... she got it on my recommendation a couple months ago.

David Ennis August 1st, 2004 11:44 PM

Jay is correct

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Like I said I know it's overloading at the mic not cam. My manual settings for the mic input were abnormally low- barely even registering a half a bar- yet alone approaching red. All the while the distortion/clipping still existed. -->>>

I'm on record as believing that too, but I just came across this in my GL2 manual (page 57):

"2. Turn the L/R LEVEL dial to adjust the *recording* [emphasis added] level.....
...Even if you turn down the LEVEL dial, the sound may be distorted if the input level is still too high. Turn on the microphone attenuator in such a case."

This is probably true of the PD-170 too, and this is what Jay has been saying all along.

[note to self--RTFM!]

Graham Bernard August 2nd, 2004 01:24 AM

ME-66 + Canon XM2 here.

I too need to have the MIC ATT switched on. Turning dials doesn't do it. ME-66 is a spanking good mic. I've done interviews in noisy areas and its characteristics are great for the money. Don't you DARE sell it - you WILL regret it! DO, do the MIC ATT first. Play with the dials from there and truly listen to everything in POST and on a final presentation format - wonderful!

Grazie

Matt Gettemeier August 2nd, 2004 06:53 AM

I wouldn't say that you'll regret it... if you can pony up for a 4073a you'll have the opposite of regret. The 4073a has twice the side and rear rejection making it way better then the me66 in a noisy environment.

The 4073a is a much, much better sounding me66... on steroids. I tried to cushion my comments to not offend any current me66 owners, but c'mon, listen to the clips. It 'aint even close.

Glen Elliott August 2nd, 2004 08:37 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Gettemeier : I wouldn't say that you'll regret it... if you can pony up for a 4073a you'll have the opposite of regret. The 4073a has twice the side and rear rejection making it way better then the me66 in a noisy environment.

The 4073a is a much, much better sounding me66... on steroids. I tried to cushion my comments to not offend any current me66 owners, but c'mon, listen to the clips. It 'aint even close. -->>>

Clips? Speaking of which do you have any audio examples. I have to hear it to believe it. I want to *hear* that it is much, MUCH better as you state.

Matt Gettemeier August 2nd, 2004 01:48 PM

Click HERE to listen to the difference between an me66 and a 4073a.

If you have a pair of 7506s or at least a MARGINAL set of speakers then the difference is HUGE. Pay attention to the tone of both mics, as well as the off-axis and rear rejection.

Graham Bernard August 2nd, 2004 04:41 PM

Matt - FAB test! Yes I see . . er . . .. hear . .. what you are driving at. Great tone on the 4073a - the 66 does sound "bright" . .. .

I really appreciate the almost complete drop off at the rear. Very good!

I think if I'd seen or heard this 4073a in London I might have been tipped towards it. However, the price difference is somewhat greater, if I can gather from your side of the pond. I still might have stayed with the Senni and still have afforded the Canon WD58h wide angle lens instead!

Matt once again, thank you for taking the time out to really demonstrate the differences. So you have both too! .. . interesting .. .

Grazie

Graham Bernard August 2nd, 2004 04:50 PM

Matt, here's the link to the 4073a technical sheets. I seem to remember the graph shape around the rear of the ME66 was in fact bigger - yeah?

http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/profiles/AT4073a.html

Been looking for the graph for us to complare .. .haven't found the ME66 technical sheets yet.

Bryan Beasleigh August 3rd, 2004 12:37 AM

Graham,try this link. It'll have links for audio demos that explore the shotgun polar patterns as well as links to the various tech bulletins that will include the polar plots and freq response

Graham Bernard August 3rd, 2004 01:25 AM

Excellent site Bryan. I see Matt is there too! Interesting .. .

Grazie

Matt Gettemeier August 3rd, 2004 01:52 AM

Graham... thanks for the compliment! It really means a lot to me to get the thanks I do for going to the trouble to do these things. Beas deserves a big thanks too... obviously!

Hey just to let you know where I'm coming from... I'm not one of these guys that you see on the forums who FIGHTS for everybody to make the same choices as he did. That's not what these comparisons are about. Realize that I BOUGHT all these mics at one time or another! I'm in that leaky boat WITH YOU.

I just happen to be fanatical about sound and as I discovered there were better choices that I didn't know about... I got pissed. After you've already bought a mic tests like this don't make you feel good about it... but it doesn't change what you hear.

Besides... everybody's perfectly capable of getting good recordings with whatever they want. I'm just offering a little information for those who want to listen. I only do these tests for two reasons... 1) I really like communicating with people about ideas... and 2) I'm obsessive compulsive about sound.

Graham Bernard August 3rd, 2004 02:09 AM

Understood . . .

Ah life and hindsight ! . . . And learning . . . and learning more . . .

Will I sell my 66 and upgrade to another mic? No, not at the moment. Will I "think" on with what you have presented to me -you BETCHA!

Good sound can make an average video superb. But well shot footage can be made rubbish by bad audio!! - Totally agree with your comments. "Obsession" - nah, care and attention and a pro attitude towards audio.

Multimedia means just that - eh? Each needing their just attention by us. We forget this at our peril.

Grazie