DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Making a new ME66 work on a GL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/29642-making-new-me66-work-gl2.html)

Scott Hirsch July 26th, 2004 12:44 PM

Making a new ME66 work on a GL2?

I am a total greenhorn so forgive me for the stupid question. I have a GL2 with a MA-300 XLR adapter and have just received a k6-C Powering Module with a ME66 and a short three prong mic cable. So far, I cannot prove it works. I have no audio when I attach the MA-300 and ME66. I have put a battery into the power capsule - not being sure the XLR adaptor proves power or not. I have fiddle with the battery switch on the capsule - nothing happening. I have used both the right and left channel plugs and can't figure out what silly thing am I doing wrong. It seems a little to easy to screw up but... ??

Suggestions welcome.

Scott Hirsch July 26th, 2004 01:50 PM

Answered

The answer was as silly as the question. I have never seen the spring end of the battery socket that was not intended for the negative end of the battery - but in Germany they apparently do it differently. The battery just needed to be put in correctly. It must be Monday.

Kris Holodak September 23rd, 2004 02:34 PM

are you getting sound in both channels?

I just got a new ME66 with an XLR to mini cable. I can use that cable to plug in other mics and get sound Left and Right, but when I plug in the ME66 I only get sound on the Left channel. Have I done something wrong? Might the mic be bad? Or is it supposed to be that way?

Scott Hirsch September 24th, 2004 09:08 AM

Mono - one channel only

I could be wrong but I believe you are suppose just get the one channel. I plugged mine into the left and then just turned the volume off on the right channel.

Bryan Beasleigh September 24th, 2004 11:30 AM

An xlr to 1/8" mono mini will give you one channel only.

An XLR to mini stereo will just double up the input to both channels. A mono to stereo adapter plug (right angled) will do the trick.
You can buy the cables already made up at B&H

Kris Holodak September 24th, 2004 12:28 PM

With my other mics using the same cable (it is a stereo mini) I get the same thing going left and right but then on the camera can set my levels for each. I do a lot of recording of orchestral music and what I usually do is set one channel for the quiet bits and the other for the loud bits and then after capturing only use the channel that was right for that portion of music.

to be specific, this is the cable that I bought
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=133646&is=REG

Bryan Beasleigh September 24th, 2004 02:13 PM

Kris
the problem with the straight mini plugs is if stuck or if the cable is tugged it could very easily destroy your in jack. They are very fragile.

It's a good idea to use a 90 deg plug and wrap the plug body with a velcro strap.

David Ennis September 25th, 2004 08:37 AM

Re: are you getting sound in both channels?

<<<-- Originally posted by Kris Holodak : I just got a new ME66 with an XLR to mini cable. I can use that cable to plug in other mics and get sound Left and Right, but when I plug in the ME66 I only get sound on the Left channel. Have I done something wrong? Might the mic be bad? Or is it supposed to be that way? -->>>

My best guess is that the ME66 uses a different pin for the "hot" one than your other mics, and somehow this matters in the way the cable converts from single mono to double mono, combined with the way your camera's circuitry handles the tip, ring and sleeve sections of the plug.

I'm very curious about this. My brain is wired to want to know how other things are wired. Hey, I like that.

David Ennis September 25th, 2004 11:25 AM

Kris, after making some sketches of just some of the possible combinations of wiring for the three parts of the system (mic, cable, mic jack) I have a headache. To narrow it down, if you're sitll following this thread and want to pursue this, it would be great if you could check two things with an ohmmeter or a simple continuity checker from Radio Shack or the automotive do-dad rack at a discount department store:

1. The adaptor cable. The three receptacles on the XLR connector should be numbered. Which number is connected to which section(s) of the 1/8" plug (tip, ring, or sleeve, where "ring" is the middle section)?

Note: one receptacle may be connected to more than one section of the plug, and vice-versa. As a matter of fact, a proper mono XLR to stereo adaptor should be wired that way, but many are wired to maintain a stereo signal instead. If each receptacle goes to one and only one section of the plug, you've got the wrong adaptor cable.

2. The mic. It's a longshot, but you might want to check the mic's XLR connector pins to make sure they are electrically isolated. They should be, but the mic would still work if one of the signal pins was mistakenly shorted to the shield pin in manufacturing.

I don't think I'll find any permutaion of wiring combinations that will give the weird result you're getting. Rather, I'm thinking that your camcorder is able to detect when the left and right channels are identical but of opposite polarity (a very undesireable consequence of the wrong adaptor) and to automatically correct this, but that the process is affected by whether the "hot" (positive) signal appears on the left or right.

Bryan Beasleigh September 26th, 2004 02:32 AM

The Sennheiser and most any mic that i know of has the same wiring convention. It's possible but highly doubtfull that the mic is defective. Please for your own sake don't start field striping the mic.

Sometimes cables are made for different uses and cheaper or in fact any cable could be defective.

As well the tolerences of the 3.5mm (1/8") can be right out to lunch. I've hit some bad ones.

David Ennis September 26th, 2004 08:13 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh :
Please for your own sake don't start field striping the mic.-->>>
Right. In case it wasn't clear, I was only talking about touching the XLR pins with continuity probes.