DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode NT3 / One step up from basic wind protection? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/30225-rode-nt3-one-step-up-basic-wind-protection.html)

Michael Wisniewski August 7th, 2004 07:26 PM

Rode NT3 / One step up from basic wind protection?

Just checking to make sure I purchase the correct item.

I'm looking for wind protection that's one step above the foam cover that comes with the NT3 mic. I'm satisfied with the wind/noise handling of this mic in light winds, but we got 15-20 mph gusts yesterday and the rumble ruined some dialog.

Looks like most people recommend the Windtechs. In this case the Windtech US-1 Ultra Series Universal Windscreen which fits the mic.

I don't mind spending around a $100, if there's something better in that range.

Bryan Beasleigh August 7th, 2004 08:10 PM

Hopefully Matt gettemeier will weigh in on this one. He hasn't been too happy with his.

You could try a foam gag and tie a pole cat or rycote windjammer over it. The products are simply fake fur covers that slip over the foam wind protection and are secured by a tie or velcro. The various products are sized to fit over various diameters of foam.

mini Winjammer. look at the sizing chart on the right of the page

Fat Cat

I know there are others out there, you could even try making your own. What do you have to lose. buy $5 worth of fake fure and be real nice to Mom or the wife.

Jay Massengill August 7th, 2004 10:58 PM

I haven't tried my FatCat on my NT3. It should fit, although I'd probably not use the stock foam with it, just the FatCat and a small hair-band. I use the kind that have no metal and no exposed rubber. These are less likely to tear the foam or snag the fur.
There are thicker foam screens that aren't as expensive as the Ultra. They are made for a couple of diameters of shotguns. The NT3 is fatter, but probably not so much that it would destroy one with at least a 1-inch opening. You can always cut these longer shotgun screens to a shorter length, just leave at least an inch of foam behind the wire screen.
That's my plan with a couple of smaller mics, but I haven't had a chance to order them yet.

Steven Davis August 9th, 2004 12:41 PM

So has anyone even tried to make their own. How hard would it be, and what type of material should you stay away from?

Chris L. Gray August 9th, 2004 01:16 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Davis : So has anyone even tried to make their own. How hard would it be, and what type of material should you stay away from? -->>>

Very interested in hearing the result, as I live close to a fabric store.

Michael Wisniewski August 10th, 2004 11:15 AM

Email to Rycote regarding NT3 - Which softie and windshield would you recommend for the Rode NT3 microphone?

Response:
... Due to the diameter of the Rode NT3, the most suitable product that we can recommend is a Mini Windjammer ... If you are not using the foam windscreen with the microphone, the model that we would recommend is a Special 60 Mini Windjammer (Code 055307).

Michael Wisniewski August 10th, 2004 11:37 AM

Per Lightwave Audio their Miniscreens can only accomodate mics up to 27mm in diameter. None of their blimps/zeppelins have mounts large enough for the NT3.

Steven Davis August 10th, 2004 02:25 PM

Heck I'm just going to go the the Goodwill store and get me one of those furs..

Michael Wisniewski August 10th, 2004 03:01 PM

One useful piece of data: The Rode NT3 has the same diameter as the Shure SM57, which makes it much easier to search for stuff.

These SM57 windscreens will also fit the NT3

Michael Wisniewski August 25th, 2004 10:23 PM

Just thought I'd follow up. Got the Mini Windjammer for the NT3, works really well. Took the foam off and just use windjammer now. Also got the gustbuster windjammer for the built-in mic. Now that's a good improvement.

Except I feel like I'm walking around with a couple of puppets that look like Don King and a hasidic jew. And no comment on the lightwave miniscreen for the AT897, except to say, it provides good protection.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and info!

Matt McConnell January 4th, 2005 12:22 PM

Just wondering if anyone has tried one of the Shure windscreens http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...m57+windscreen

They are cheaper than the windjammer, so does that mean they are less effective at attenuating wind noise? Has anyone compared them on an NT3?

Thanks.

Chris L. Gray January 4th, 2005 02:09 PM

cheap fur trick?

Or the cheap fur trick? I've made a note to check out the fabric store.
I've been wrapping a thick, black sock around my dvx100a's buillt in mic to handle the vicious howling here in the windy city. Works great and is cheap. Looks like crap, but eh.

Chris L. Gray January 4th, 2005 02:14 PM

NT3 and various ranting

Oh btw, I went ahead and bought an NT3 since summer.. I wasn't too happy with the outdoor results, but hey I was on the lakefront on a very windy day with only the default windscreen. Horrible.

I've used it indoors and the last short I created was complemented highly for the audio. I haven't even done any post audio work on the piece, just billions of hours with magic bullet.

I sure could use Virginia Tech's System X for rendering these clips. My poor single 1.6 Ghz G5 powermac ain't cutting it.. even for a 7 min short.

Mark Fry January 6th, 2005 08:04 AM

Home made furry mic cover

I have made my own furry mic covers from off-cuts of material from a fabric shop. I think it was intended for making kids' toys, such as teddy bears. I chose the stuff with the longest fur I could find. A piece about 18" square has already provided covers for two mics, and there's still some left.

Almost all my shooting is outdoors, one-man-operation, with the mic mounted on the camcorder. (Steam trains) I use a Sennheiser MKE300 on a Canon XM1. The cover does reduce the wind noise by a useful amount. I don't normally hear more than a hint of wind noise (enough to let you know you're outdoors).

I've had the chance to compare the effectiveness of my DIY cover with a proper Rycote cover, by swapping mics (another MKE300) with a fellow enthusiast one windy day. The Rycote is better in windy conditions, but the difference was less than I'd expected. If I bought a better mic (ME66 or better) I'd probably get a Softie to go with it. However, I'm happy to stick with what I've got for the moment.

Chris L. Gray January 6th, 2005 12:46 PM

Backing of fur you bought

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the useful information. Did the fur/material you bought at the fabric store have any sort of backing that would prohibit sound pass-thru? For example, was there a thin layer of plastic mesh or anything concerning?

This was inspiring enough to have me go check out options locally.

Thanks.