DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Differences btwn Sen 100 and 500 series? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/30354-differences-btwn-sen-100-500-series.html)

Stylianos Moschapidakis August 10th, 2004 06:09 PM

Differences btwn Sen 100 and 500 series?

I'm in the market for one of the Sennheiser wireless combo systems, either the Evolution G2 100 or the 500 series. As most of you know, each one of these systems comes with a receiver, a bodypack transmitter with a lav mic and a plug-in transmitter. I tried to find out the differences between the two but couldn't find anything comprehensive enough exept for the fact that the plug-in transmitter of the 500 series can supply 48 volt phantom power (which is something I would like to have). Could someone explain to me what their differences are?

Also, how can I find out which frequency would be appropriate for me here in Cambridge, MA?

Thank you.

Darko Flajpan August 11th, 2004 03:54 AM

I have EVO series 500 kit (handheld mic+lavalier+receiver) using it almoust every day in ENG for 3 yrs now and system is almoust booletproof. Very stable and reliable. I use 760.600 Mhz frequency and never had any interference. If price is not problem I wuld reccomend to go for it.

Mike Rehmus August 11th, 2004 12:13 PM

Ask Sennheiser about the frequency range to use. They are on the East Coast and have a web site.

I think transmitter battery condition is also transmitted to the receiver.

BTW, the 500 plug-on can be used with a 100 system. It just won't report the battery condition.

Marty Wein August 11th, 2004 05:19 PM

Battery life on the portable/camera mount systems are NOT transmitted to the receiver.

Mike Rehmus August 11th, 2004 06:01 PM

original or G2 version or both, Marty? I was going by what a Sennheiser rep told me at NAB.

Marty Wein August 11th, 2004 10:40 PM

Non of the camera mount versions, original and/or G2. I got the same mis-information at NAB

Ron Priest June 26th, 2007 05:24 PM

Sennheiser Frequency Finder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylianos Moschapidakis (Post 210783)
Also, how can I find out which frequency would be appropriate for me here in Cambridge, MA?

Thank you.

Sennheiser has a Frequency Finder chart that will tell you what UHF channels are being used in your city. Maybe this will help?

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...qfinder-ew.asp

Greg Bellotte June 27th, 2007 12:30 PM

The sensitivety and selectivety are better on the 500 series. In English, they work better and farther apart than the 100 series. If you stay closer than 100 feet between units, you probably won't notice a difference.

The 500 bodypacks also have external charging contacts, useful if you have the charging stand and recharable battery packs (optional). The packs also transmit their battery status to the EM5xx receivers (rack mounted). The 500's also have more banks (eight) with more channels (20 per bank) in the frequency presets. There is also a "Soundcheck" mode that lets you do a one person sound check, but to be fair I've never used this feature.

The bodypacks also have an IR interface to work with a really cool unit called the NET1. The NET1 lives near the EM500 receiver, and allows remote control of your system over ethernet. I use a fiber optic link between my mix position and the receiver rack, the fiber carries both ethernet and the audio signals. The NET1 connects to the EM receivers (and IEM300 TX units) and sends all of the status available on the front display to a computer near me. I can see what all of the signal strengths, audio levels and battery status look like. I can even change channels and download this info to the packs, just need someone to hold them near the IR port on the NET1.

Gints Klimanis June 27th, 2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Wein (Post 211148)
Battery life on the portable/camera mount systems are NOT transmitted to the receiver.

This would be very cool to have.